Log In Sign Up

Holly Louise's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Lozzy_Macca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,072

Ive been putting it off for 2 weeks now and have finally decided it was time to write her birth story.

It all started at around 10am Tuesday night the 22nd April, I started getting regular BH contrax that were actually comming every 10 mins or so, I had been getting them for the last 2 months of my pregnancy but these ones were a little more tense and regular, I went to bed to only be woken up most of the night as they were comming on pretty strong. I had an appointment with my doc on the Wednesday and they were still there, he told me she was down and ready to go and that I could go into labour pretty soon. I brushed it off because in my mind I was soooo not ready to have my baby. I wanted at least another 2 more weeks. I went to my friends house and we both timed them all day! It made me feel better when I was with her because we made a game out of it and made me feel a little at ease. At one stage during the afternoon they were comming at around 5 mins apart but werent getting any more painful. We went for walks and tried to keep going as much as possible becuase I thought thats what you were supposed to do seeing as I had only 4 more days till my due date and assumed this is what was supposed to happen. They went on into the late afternoon and night but decided to ease off a little. I ended up sleeping on the couch and continuing to time them. I finally fell asleep around 11pm Wednesday 23rd April. I woke up at around 3am, went to the toilet, peed and came back to the couch. I decided to grab a towl as I didn't want to make a mess of my lounges just incase. Lucky I did cause as soon as I layed down, I counted to more close contrax and then my water broke, I waited for a sec to get my barings and ran to the toilet with water leaking everywhere. I got to the toilet finally and it all just gushed out! I started shaking and crying as I knew this was it!! I had in my mind that I knew everything would start to happen now. I threw a towel between my legs and ran and woke Jamie up, he immediately rang my parents, who were 1 hour away, his sister (who is the only family living here) and then the hospital. They told me to get all cleaned up and take a bath then come in seeing as my contrax were still mild and 7 mins apart. By the time my SIL got here the hospital rang back and told me to come straight in to get checked.

We gets up to the hospital by around 4am, they took me to the labour ward, hooked up on minitors and realised my contax were VERY mild and too far apart and told me I would probably end up going home. I didn't mind as I thought I would be more comfortable there anyways. Then this butch looking nurse came it to check if I had dialated any and had the hands the size of a giant and gave me an internal! OUCHYYYYYYYYYY!! She was way harsh and just told me to stop sooking that labour was going to be much worse. I just didn't feel like being vialted that early in the morning, I was in shock already as it was. After that I started bleeding, which scared me cause I haven't bleed in like 10 months. The told me I could go walking around the hospital to try and get things going as I had not dialted AT ALL and my cervix was as hard and high. She could aslo tell I was posterior which I already knew. She even told me that her internal she gave me wasnt really an internal as she didn't go all the way in. WHAT THE???? So by then my parents and a few friends were in the waiting room anxious to see what was going on. I started to cry and told my mum this was going to be the longest day of my life as the last 2 days of contrax did absolutely nothing. I laboured in the waiting room till they found me a bed, for the next 5 hours or so, and they started to get REAL intense, nothing like the contrax I had been having. I used the birthing ball for a bit but found that leaning over something felt better. Jamie was such a real help and rubbed my back with every one. All I had in my mind was that my Doc was right, I was going to have a long, hard back labour and made sure I didn't look at the clock too much. At around 3pm they decided enough was enough and my contrax were still only 5 mins apart and not getting any more intense or closer together. They did another check (which was sooo much better than giant lady) and I was only 2 cm. All that time and that was it!!!!! The doc on call came in and said seeing as it was going to be a public holiday the next day, they were going to have minimal staff on so he wanted me to have here that day. I thought about it and decided I would be put on Sintocin to speed things up as I was taking too long progressing on my own. If I did go on my own I would go into the next day and possibly night. I didn't like the sound of that at all

Well, speed things up is an understatement, I mean it didn't speed the labour up but the contax came at me like a tonne of bricks! The were comming ever 2-3 mins and were horrible. I had to stay in bed on a monitor so they could check to make sure she was doing ok. She was, doing excellent as a matter of fact. I asked for gas about 1 hour after and they decided I didn't need it just yet until they turned the sintocin up. WHAT!!!! I was in pain! Give me something!! So about 2 contax after that they shoved the gas in my face. I have to say that it did absolutely NOTHING. I was on my hands and knees leaning on a chair trying to get this gas into me and the only thing that got me through the next couple of hours was water, breating in the gas and finding a focus point and telling myself I could do this. Well I tried every position there was, and let me tell you that the bath sucked! I had a contax going to the bath, one on the way in, one in the water, one on the way out and one on the way back to the chair. It was horrible. My midwife who came on half way through my labour was the best in the world!!! I loved her, she would catch my during a contaxt as I would be walking to and from balls, bath, toilet, chair and bed and hug me. With my mother in tow of the drip and hubby rubbing my back. I knew then I could no longer change positions and that the chair was it. After all the water I had drunk, my midwife told me I needed to go pee. Well that was fun. After 5 attempts of going to and from the toilet (and might I add that the worst pain in toilet and walking contax) she decided I had to have a catheter to drain my bladder as my baby couldn't move any further. Well that was a little releif. I ended up on my bed on my knees leaning over a bean bag and that was where I stayed for the next hour or so. I started vomiting with all the gas they had given me and kept forgetting to breathe so they decided I needed more drugs. They gave me one shot of Pethadine and that relaxed me in the middle of contax but I still kept vomiting. She finally checked me again and I was only 4 cm!!!! The next few hours after that is all a blur. I was bleeding EVERYWHERE and they decided if I lay on my side I could get a little more comfortable and sleep a little. No, didn't happen. The next time they checked me I think I was around 6cm. The on call doc still hadn't come and seen me. It was just my midwife, Jamie and my mum doing all the work. After more hours of pain and the pethadine wearing off she checked me agian as I told her I was pushing a little during contrax and I was 8cm. I had to breathe short breaths through the next like 100 contrax which I felt like were comming every 1/2 minute. Finally I said that I was pushing whether they liked it or not. She checked me agian, started getting things ready and called the doc to get here ASAP as I was ready. I started panicing and told them I could no longer do it anymore and didn't know how long I could go on for. They told me I could do it and I believed them, I just needed to say it. With a hard 45mins of pushing I finally felt her moving further and further down and I felt some relief from the contax. I knew this was it. The doc still wasnt there and I knew her head was just about out. The midwife told my mum to put gloves on and that she would have to help. With a few more pushes her head was out. Then another push and her body came. My mum had to help deliver her. With that, the doc walkes in the door and goes '######' and ran over to us. They threw her on my belly as her cord was so short it didn't reach my chest. Hubby cut the cord (oh and didn't faint once, so proud of him) and then with the next contrax the placenta came. What a relief!!! The pain immediately went!

It's sad to say that I didn't get that 'oh my god I just gave birth to life' as I was soooo exhausted from all the pain and gas that I told Jamie she was going to be an only child and I was NEVER doing this again. I could barely even smile. I just looked at Holly in shock. Everyone was sooo happy around me and were taking pics and everything. They weighed her and gave her her shots, cleaned her up and gave her back to me. I had to get 6 stitches as I tore a little from may back to my front and inside as well. That didn't bother me as I knew I had torn, I mean I felt it!! The doc was supprised I actually asked how many he gave me. After everyone came in and sow her, had a nurse and said their goodbyes I asked the time she was born and by then it was 10:07pm. Finally it was over. They gave me a quick shower, put me in my pj's and sent me straight to bed. Told jamie to go home too!!! They woke me up twice in the night to breastfeed her but with no luck as I was still so woozy and she couldn't latch on.

The next day the nurses told me I had inverted flat nipples and she won't latch on so they were going to give her formula. LIKE HELL I said, she was having my breast milk and only my breast milk. With that, I had every single nurse with me helping me. She had a little jaunduce for the first few days as I coudln't quite get these nipples in her mouth so they helped me pump my liquid gold into bottles to give to her. I was in the hospital for 6 days recovering and trying to get her fed as much as I could. Finally I was aloud to go home, she no longer had jaunduc and we were on our way. I NEVER want to be in the room I was in again as it was right next to the labour room and every girl who was in there in labour after me I heard screaming through the walls. I was a mess in hospital, I cried every night. It was horrible.

Well I think that is about it, I may have missed out some information but I'm sure I have written enough for you guys, actually most of you have probably read the first paragraph and realised it was too much for you LOL. Don't blame you, but I just needed to get this all out finally. I didn't find my labour experience to be the best thing in the world like everyone said it would be, I hated every minute of it and don't plan on doing it ever again any time soon. I know everyone sais you forget but I think it will take me a lot longer. I just think that I was not prepared or ready for any of it.

Holly Louise was born 24th April, 2008
Weight - 6lb 13oz
Time - 10:07pm
She is the most beautiful little girl I have ever seen, she is feeding just perfect now, my nipples are still really sore but my trusty pump is doing its best to keep up with her hungry little tummy. She is now 2 weeks old now and I just can't stop looking at her or holding her. I would not give her up for anything in the world. She is my little miracle and I love her so much. Even though basically I'm pumping, breastfeeding and feeding her bottle breastmilk, I still have the time to hold her in my arms and just stare at her. I can honestly say too that I am proud of myself as I did the whole labour with very minimal drugs, I didn't swear once or scream and didn't cry. Not even after she was born.

If you have made it this far down reading my story I thank you as this has been really hard to do seeing as I just wanted to put it all behind me but getting it all of my chest has made me think how much of a sook I may have been, high pain threshold and all, but I guess it was only for a few days and it was all over. As long as I tell myself that, she may have another brother or sister, but not for at least 5 years LOL.

Oh and as of today I have lost a total of 15kg, I only have 4 more to go and I am back to my pre pregnancy weight! YAY!

Here are a few pics of my experience

Me at 39 weeks and 4 days in labour (obviously in the middle of contrax)

Just after I gave birth (oh and that is my mother in the background with the gloves on LOL)

Me, Jamie and Holly

Holly getting weighed

Beautiful Holly

Finally home and mummy kisses

1 week PP side

1 week PP front

4 generations, me, mum, nanna and Holly

On our way down the street
Thank you Julka for my amazingly beautiful siggy, I love it!
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,390
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Wow!!!! I wish I could give you a big hug!!! Sounds like it was a very intense labour. But I am glad that everything turned out wonderfully! My mom would have freaked out if she had to help deliver my baby. Glad she was there to help deliver yours.

Holly is such a beautiful baby. I love her hair. And the last picture of you guys. She is a cute smiler!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
July 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 4,517
What a beautiful baby girl!
Married 8/11/90 ~ Terry Bechor m/c'd 11/26/03, Thomas A. III m/c'd 7/15/04,
Sarah E. born 6/24/05, Tabitha Zipporah m/c'd 4/?/06, Theodore David m/c'd 8/27/06,
Taylor Lynn m/c'd 2/07/07, Benjamin E. born 3/25/08, Catherine A. born 6/03/09

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0