Julian Roderick's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here is the birth story of my son Julian Roderick. I know it's a little late but better late than never right?

I went into labor while eating dinner at a mexican restaurant on Friday night. I didn't really know it was labor though. I just thought I was feeling stronger than usual BH. I had my first contraction right before we sat down to eat at about 9pm. I was in the bathroom at the time and had to breathe through it. I continued to have pretty strong contractions throughout dinner and wasn't able to eat much. I was feeling embarrassed because I didn't want to go into full blown labor in the middle of the restaurant. At about 10pm I told DH I wanted to go home where I could be more comfortable. As soon as I walked in the door of my house I got a VERY strong contraction and had to drop my purse and bend over to breathe through it. I was not sure if what I was feeling was labor and didn't want to go to the hospital only to be sent home so I tried to tough it out. I went to lay down in my bedroom and got hit with another contraction as I was walking through the door. I couldn't move or stand up straight. I drank water and laid on my side for a while but I started to get scared because they seemed to be getting closer together. I was feeling the contactions mostly in my back and had to have DH apply counterpressure to get any type of relief. I started timing the contractions with that website contraction master and found that they were coming about 3-5 minutes apart and lasting longer than a minute. We called the doula and asked if we should go to the hospital and she told me to do what I felt comfortable with. I made the decision to go to the hospital. DH packed up the car and we were on our way. I started to feel nauseous in the car and had to stick my head out the window to keep from
throwing up. We got to the hospital at about 12AM and I was wheeled to L&D. They started to process me and ask me stupid questions like if I went to college and if we owned our home. They must have asked me how to spell my name at least 5 times. The whole time the contractions seemed to be getting stronger and closer together. I was clutching the bed railing and pushing down on the footboard of the bed with my feet. With every contraction I had DH pushing on my back with all of his strength. I felt so bad for him. The doula just didn't have the strength that I needed to give any type of relief. When they finally got around to checking me at about 1AM I was already 5cm dilated. The nurse said "You just bought yourself an admission ticket." I responded promptly with "Can I buy myself a epidural ticket?" She told me I had to get an IV and finish a whole bag of fluids first. They had me sign a bunch of forms which I didn't care to read. I could have been signing my life away and I didn't care as long as I got the epidural. I got the epidural at about 3AM and when the nurse put the catheter in she checked me and I was already 10 cm dilated. The epidural was a God send! My doctor checked me a little while later to see if I could push and since the anesthesiologist had given me a double dose of the epidural I felt nothing and couldn't really push effectively. That combined with the fact that his head was still a bit high, was the reason my doctor decided to hold off on the pushing. I didn't start pushing until around 5AM. They asked me if I wanted to see with a mirror and I said no but they convinced me to look anyway. As soon as I looked and saw blood I said I don't want to see that. I looked a few times while pushing but when they were getting set up for the episiotomy they took the mirror away. I'll never forget the sound of the episiotomy. It was a thick cut almost like a snap. I was so grossed out but since I couldn't feel it I was ok. I pushed for almost an hour. DH was a great coach. He counted for me while I was pushing because the nurses and the doctor kept forgetting to tell me when to stop pushing and breathe. Everyone (except for me because I couldn't see it) laughed when he came out because when his head was out he opened his eyes and turned his head to kind of take in the room before he made the rest of his entrance. Julian Roderick was born at 5:53AM weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19 in. long.

June 12th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awe, congrats mama! You did a fantastic job!

June 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Jaime23's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats, he really is a handsome baby!!! Sounds like a nice, quick labor!!! \

J-Me

Thank You Emma (pixie_pink) for my siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search