Aiden's birth story.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
bookboarder's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
- April 30th 2008 @ 8:00 pm to May 2nd 2008 @ 6:52 am -

At 8 p.m. we began my induction with Cervidil. I had been having lots of contractions the week prior, and had my cerclage removed on April 26th (Saturday). I was hopeful that the Cervidil itself would put me into labor, because I had been contracting regularly. I was fingertip dilated on Saturday, and was only 1cm on Wednesday (the 30th). I was, however, 70-80% effaced before they started the induction. I continued to contract and have cramping all night long. I was not able to sleep at all.

So, after 12 hours with the Cervidil in, they checked to see if they would start Pitocin or not. I was about 1.5 cm dilated and 80-90% effaced, and my cervix was soft. I was not impressed. The nurse that I had really made me unconfident about the whole situation. The first thing she told me was, "Don't expect a baby anytime soon." Ok-- don't EVER tell a woman who has been having contractions for the past three months, who has been in the hospital with preeclampsia for the last two weeks, spent the last two nights awake (thanks to the doctors), that she shouldn't expect a baby any time soon. It was really, really disheartening. I really felt like everyone around me was kind of negative, too, which didn't help. I was really worried the whole time, that the Pitocin would fail and we'd have to start the induction process all over again. It really was not a great way to start the whole process.

Anyway, they started the Pitocin. My blood pressure was up, and so they also started Magnesium Sulfate-- which I would soon learn is the devil. When they started the Magnesium, I was confined to the bed, and had to have a catheter inserted. I think the catheter was one of the worst parts of the ordeal. It hurt to high heaven when they inserted it. It was the only part of the whole thing that really brought me close to tears. I really hated it. The Pitocin did jumpstart my contractions for a while, but slowly seemed to taper off. So, they quickly brought me up to the highest dosage of Pitocin (after about 3 hours). At that point, the staff convinced me that an epidural might help me to dilate. (There was no change at this point, though I was contracting like a mad woman). So, I agreed to the epidural. I was also beginning to feel really awful from the Magnesium. They did the epidural, and it did seem to help me relax-- for about two hours... Then, I regained feeling again, completely. Later, they tried to do another epidural, and the same thing happened. It really sucked.

Much of the rest of the ordeal is blurry for me, because of the Magnesium. It really, really made me horribly disoriented, sick (I vomited at least 25 times), hot, and just plain miserable. I also managed to get a migraine at some point in the evening. I know after like 12 hours on the pitocin, I was only about 2cm dilated. After 18 hours, I was 3 cm. At 20 hours, I was at 4 cm and they broke my water.

Well, that's all it took, apparently. I went from 4cm to 7cm in about 10 minutes. About 15 minutes later I was at 10 cm and ready to push. I had to wait for the doctor to come back to the hospital! I really felt like I needed to push, but managed to hold back. She made it back, after what seemed like forever. I started pushing... After two pushes, we were getting close. On the third or fourth push, they were telling me to push hard, and then suddenly to slow down (I'm assuming that's when I tore!). After 5 or 6 pushes, his head was out, and one more push and he was out! It was such a relief (physical and emotional) for him to be out of my body. He wasn't crying and I knew something was wrong, immediately. It turns out that the Magnesium Sulfate was also at high levels in his body. Aiden didn't breathe on his own right away, and his Apgar was a 4, then a 6, then an 8. They did get him perked up, but he was whisked off to the NICU pretty quickly. Waiting for the to work on him was the longest/hardest 5 minutes of my life. It was so quiet in the room, and it was horrible. I just wanted to hear him cry so badly. Finally, I did get to hear a little peep, but it wasn't much. It took him a couple of days to start perking up.

Thank you to MommaTrish for my WONDERFUL siggy!!!

June 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Melody's Avatar The BEST Mommy Ever
Send a message via MSN to Melody
Oh my. i couldnt imagine not hearing him cry right away. That would be scary. i'm glad everyone is ok. you have a very handsome little man. I bet it's all worth it now. Congratulations.

Thanks for the beautiful siggy, Bonnie! You're the best!!!
June 12th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just glad that little Aiden is a perfect little boy despite everything he went through & you went through to get here. Congrats!

June 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Jaime23's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I followed your pregnancy so closely, and prayed for you two so often. I'm so sorry your pregnancy and labor were so aweful. Your son is absolutely handsome, and so happy you are both healthy!!!

J-Me

Thank You Emma (pixie_pink) for my siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search