Logan Michael's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Stats:
Born 6-4-08, 7:27 pm
8lbs 2 oz
22 in

Logan was due on June 3rd, which was mine and DH's wedding anniversary. Nothing happened all day that day, and I went to town and got food to make me and DH a special dinner. We had a nice dinner, and a quiet evening w/ DS, and I went to bed a little disappointed that I was still pregnant, and nothing seemed to be happening. About 4 that morning, DS woke up a little and I went to check on him and came back to bed, and noticed a kind of strong cramp. I'd had so many false alarms I just figured it was nothing and tried to go back to sleep. I kept noticing them, but refused to time them because I was too tired of getting my hopes up for nothing. By 5 they were just strong enough to keep me awake, so I got up and went and watched tv and started timing them. They were around 7-9 minutes apart, and not awfully painful, but definately not comfortable. About 6, it was time for DH to get up for work, so I went a laid down in the bed with him and told him I was 99% sure it would be today. He didn't really think it was, but agreed to call his parents to come stay with us, and go to the hospital with us. We got there a little after 7, and I was about 2 cm and 30% effaced. I was so excited to hear that after being 1 cm for 3 weeks! They monitored me for a little while and the doc came in and I hadn't made any progress in an hour, so she said I could walk around the hospital, go home, or just stay there, it was up to me. She said she did think I was in active labor, just pretty early. We decided to go to walmart and see what happened from there. So we walked around Walmart for about an hour, and it hurt when a contraction would hit, but not so awful that I couldn't stand. So we headed back home so I could be in peace. DH's parents decided to leave and go run errands, so DH played with Toby and I laid down in the bed. By about 10:30 they had definately gotten stronger, so I ran a bath and sat in it for a little while. I really remember how good it felt just sitting in the water and listening to DH play w/ Toby. I finally got more uncomfy & decided to go get something to drink and lay down on the bed. But I was up & down going to the bathroom and finally by 11:30, I felt like I needed to go back to the hospital, cus I was in some pain!

So we had to take DS over to the daycare first, and I think I was scaring DH cus every time a contraction would hit I'd grab the side of the car real hard and freeze up. As we got to the hospital and were walking in, I was having to hold on to him when they'd hit, and couldn't really talk during them, so he finally believed it was the real thing. We got up there, and they put us in a room. The nurse was a lady I know from church, and she hooked up my IV and started fluids so I could get my epi asap. They checked me and I was about 4 & 80% effaced or so. We got checked in a little before 12 and by 1 the "epi angel" was in my room They had to kick DH out for that part. They gave me some stadol(?) right before the epi, and I only had one bad contraction during the process. Pretty much immediately after the epi kicked in my doc came in and broke my water, and they let DH back in.

After an hour or so, they came in and talked with me a little, because my contractions were trying to slow down, so they started pitocin, which I was fine with. From 1 til about 5, things were really quiet in my room, and super peaceful. We had one little scare around 3 when I turned onto my side and his heartrate slowed down, but it came back up once I turned back onto my back. My mom had gotten there, and she read some magazines/newspapers, DH was napping, and I was in and out of it, trying to nap. I made DH go get my makeup at this point so I wouldnt totally hate my pics. He teased me at first, but me and my mom convinced him that it helps me feel good if I feel like I look good. Around 5:00pm, my mom left to go pick up DS for me, and DH was still napping.They checked me again and I was only about a 6-7, but fully effaced. By this point they had put a catheter in but I couldn't tell any difference in progress or how I was feeling. But we thought that maybe that was why my progress was going so slowly. My epi had been working great, perfectly up until that point--I didn't have any shaking, and I could move my legs around! I could just barely feel things happening. But I noticed I was starting to feel some more, so I let the nurse know and they came in and put another shot of stuff into it, and in about an hour I was all trembly and couldn't feel or move my legs. I mentioned it to the nurse, and we blamed it on the epi. She walked out and I looked over at DH and said I wonder if this means I'm making good progress? Right after that, the nurse came back in and said I'm going to check you, just in case. So about 6:00 she checked me and I was 8.5 cm and only had a little lip left! There was another girl delivering, and all day we had been neck & neck for progress. We had been joking all day that we were racing to see who could finish first The doc came in and said I could probably start pushing. But due to some IL drama, my mom was still tied up at my house with DS. So I told the doc that I really wanted my mom to be there, and she'd be there soon, and I wasn't feeling any kind of pressure anyways. Doc said fine, and ended up going and delivering the other baby. My mom got there about 7, and the doc came back in within just a few minutes of her getting there, and we started getting ready. LOL I was still totally content just hanging out. I sent my dad and sis for Subway since they couldn't be in the room anyways. I couldn't WAIT to eat. LOL. They(the nurses) got my legs up on the stirrups and the Dr. said Oh! I can see him! LOL. She didn't put her scrubs on yet, she wanted me to do some practice pushes first, and the doc just stood in the room and waited. After one practice push, she said yeah, I need to get dressed. So I started pushing at about 7:20 and had Logan in my arms by 7:27!!! It was like 6 pushes and he was out. I didn't feel a single thing, and I didn't tear at all. As soon as he came out, it felt like my stomach just totally deflated..it was a really cool and weird sensation! I got teary, but didn't cry, I just couldn't quit smiling. I'd look at him and smile, then look at DH and smile..then repeat. Then I'd look at my mom and smile, and everyone else who wanted to see me smile. I had gotten a little scared, because his cord was around his neck, but it wasn't tight at all. They cleaned him up a little on my tummy, and then asked if I wanted them to finish at the little table, and I said ok. So the nurse (this time, a girl I've known since elementary school!) picked him up, turned and went to walk over to the table....and almost TRIPPED! Something had gotten pulled out from under a piece of equipment and she kind of stumbled over it. I didn't even realize what had almost happened until a few minutes later, when the doc said well I'm absolutely sure she wouldn't have let anything happen to that baby. It was definately scary, but we all praised her for a great save. That was the second fall in my room that day, a nurse had tripped over the same thing earlier. He scored 9 and 9 on his Apgars, with the same thing they found with DS1, his nose would flare a little when he was breathing, and his fingers/toes were all purplish. But they got him printed and cleaned and took him off to officially weigh and measure him.

As they were cleaning him up, I was shaking horribly. They offered to let me hold him and try to nurse, but I was really too scared I'd drop him, and they ended up taking him to the nursery anyways because his nostrils were flaring a bit. After his first bath, he had a little trouble getting his temperature back up, so he had to lay under the little lamp for awhile. When they took him out to the nursery, DH and my family went with him and left the doc to finish her work on me..which I'm not sure what she was doing since I didn't need stitches or anything but oh well. I think just finishing delivering placenta and everything. Then I was alone in my room for a little while with my hard earned coca cola! That quiet time was really nice. I just sat and breathed slowly, trying to stop from shaking, and texted some friends and family letting them know we'd had Logan, and just kind of took in the whole day. I was really just in awe at how fast it was over. Finally I showed the nurse that I could wiggle my legs and push my bottom up and hold it, so we decided I could try to go on to the bathroom. DH came in to help. One leg turned out to be a little more asleep than we thought and I almost fell, but DH was right there and helped me. She let me cheat and go on to the bathroom, and get back in the chair to go to my room. She let me stop and see him on the way through the window, he was just snoozin away. They said they thought he'd be ready to come see me pretty soon, just as soon as they knew he was holding his body temp up ok. It worked out really well, because he was ready to come see me about the time I had gotten into my room and finally gotten to eat. So then I held him for the first time, and talked with DH about the day. He nursed perfectly, just knew exactly what to do. The next day we had a ton of visitors, but it was still a very relaxing peaceful day.Toby came to visit on Thursday, and was miserable! He came in and immediately grabbed my mom's hand and took her back to the door, saying bye bye. HAHA He didn't like seeing his mommy in the bed I guess. He wasn't feeling great either though, so he didn't stay very long. Which I hated cus I had missed him so much. It had really been since Tuesday that I had spent real time with him! He smiled at his new brother a couple of times though. Friday morning, I had almost no visitors, but we found out he was jaundiced and had to stay. I'm so glad we got to stay on the maternity ward! They would come and get him and put him under the light, and bring him back whenever he was crying. Which was pretty often! He's already a major mommy's boy..he'd stop crying as soon as they gave him back to me! Friday night DH's cousin came by to see us and Logan. He took a ton of pics. After he saw Logan a bit, he and DH walked out to go get something to eat. But first, they called for Logan to come back up to the nursery for the lights so they volunteered to take him back up there. DH's cousin had DH posing for pictures the whole way. LOL It looked like a paparazzi moment! They went and got mexican and brought me back a taco and some white cheese. Which I didn't eat until like 5 am that morning, but oh my god, I think it was the best taco I've ever had! We had DH's Bday party in our room on Sat., which was kind of fun. Just some cupcakes and cards, nothing spectacular, but it surprised him. Also on Saturday morning they ordered the little bed he could lay in w/ blankets on top of him and still get the light, and he did SO much better. Sat night there was a GORGEOUS sunset out of my window. I had just gotten cleaned up and showered, and Logan was sleeping. It was so peaceful just sitting there me and him and watching the sun go down. We ended up staying in the hossy until that Sunday, because of jaundice, but he was a little trooper for the most part. Coming home was a little stressful, because DH was sick and acting like a 4 yr old, and we ended up trying to leave right at time for Logan to eat. But he did good, and we made it home and I got to eat lunch before he woke up. We just sat around on the couch and hung out, he'd nurse and lay back down with no problems. My mom brought DS1 home and that was our evening! The next day we took him back to the dr. to check his levels, and they pricked his heel that day and thursday, but that was the end of it.

The only thing that really stank about the whole time was I got sick Friday night, and was sick for the whole next week. I kept going from losing my voice to just feeling awful, and then I'd feel better w/ no voice, and then feel awful again.

I am really proud of this birth story, I remember soo much more of the whole day than I did with DS, and the fact that it was over SO fast and easy was just cool!
& It was really cool that we were in the same delivery room, the same doc and had nurses we knew socially both times! And my boys almost came at the same time!(DS1 at 7:47, DS 2 @ 7:27)
Thanks for hanging in here so long, I get a little carried away with details, especially since this is for me to keep too.

the little bed w/ light for jaundice

Right after birth

Toby's meeting him in his Big Brother Shirt

My first time holding him

June 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
congrats again girl!
June 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
MamaJess0008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to MamaJess0008 Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJess0008
congrats!! sounds like a great birth expirenece!!

Thank you claire1979 for the cute siggy!! =)

June 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Awww...congrats Jenna!! I am so so happy for you! Your birth story was great! Logan is so handsome, I really do think he's gonna look like Toby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search