We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
We left at 6:30 am for the hospital, half way there, we get a flat tire. We still have the rental car, so we put the spare on and continue heading to hospital and will callenterprise later.
They put me in a room right away and hook me up to the NST monitor and check dilation (I hate this part sooooo much), I am still 1 cm. At 7:45 am, the Dr comes in and checks dilation again and applies a gel to my cervix (Extremely painful, I think he was reaching for my tonsils at one point). I am stuck in bed now for 2 hours. DH and I watch a movie and I am not doing too bad. I am showing contractions on the monitor, but not feeling them (well, actually it felt like I had to pass gas). At about 9:30, though, back labor kicks in. Now I am starting to get uncomfortable. I am allowed to walk for a while and move around, but dont get much relief. DH is rubbing my back, still not much relief.
A little later (for the life of me, I cant remember the time now) they start the pitocin. Within 20 mins I am having to most painful contractions that I could ever imagine. Also, they had plain fluids running too wgich was causing me to have to go to the bathroom every 10 mins. That was a pain b/c I had to keep calling a nurse to get me unhooked from NST. A few hours into the pitocin, they check me again. I was 2 cm dilated and in a lot of discomfort. The contractions were every 2-3 mins and strong, but the Dr thought I should be dilating more.
A little later (again, cant remember the time), They finally agreed to give me the epidural a little early (They usually dont give until after 5 cm dilated, I was at 4). The anesthesiologist had a really hard time getting the catheter in because of the curvature of my spine (scoliosis). After 4 spots and 4 times of hitting my spine, he got it in place). Once all that kicked in, I felt so much better and was finaaly a little confident that I could deliver this child.
Once I reach 5 cm, the dr broke my water. I remained at 5 cm for a couple hours, but at least I was not in pain and I could sleep. However, the nurse placed a foley cath in m since I had to pee so frequently and told me to rest because I probably wont be delivery until close to 10 or 11pm.
I fell asleep and all the sudden all these alarms went off and the dr and 3 nurse came running into my room. My BP was dropping to 84/56 and megans heart rate dropped to below 100. They put me on O2 and had me lay on my right side. The dr placed an internal monitor on her head (a spiral or something they called it, I dont know, I was a little out of it.). After a few minutes on O2 my BP and Her HR picked up, but a nurse stayed in there for a while to monitor.
At 6pm they checked my dilation again and I was 6cm. I had some family coming into see me, and DH went to get dinner for himself. At approx 7pm when they all got there, I was 8 cm and by approx 7:55pm the nurses had me start pushing during contactions to get her head lower. After about 8 pushes, they told the Dr I was ready. He came in, along with 2 pediatricians b/c he was worried about her HR drop, so they were ready on standby. It was sooooo scary b/c they brought the crash cart with them. I pushed 4 more times and her head came out. The cord was around her neck so he released that. 2 more pushes and her shoulders were thru and 1 more push and I was holding my precious baby girl. DH cut the umbilical cord. They suctioned her and gave her immediately to the peds to take care of.
I delivered the placenta after another push. The Dr said my placenta appears to have to "dying" off and looked more like the size of 30 week pg. It was calcifing and turning gray. They believe that is why heart growth had stopped.
Anyway, her HR and resp were very high, so they kept her awhile befor I could hold her again, but she stabilized just fine.
I had an episiotomy (spell?) and got stitches.
Looking back, it was such an amazing and weird and scary experience. I cant believe that I actually did it, and I cried through the whole labor that I couldnt and they should just give me a c-section b/c I didnt want to do it anymore. But after seeing her, it is just sooooo worth it!