Nixon Palmer's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went in Wednesday morning the 12th around 7am having regular contractions and really wasn't sure if it was time or not so I figured we'd go in and see what they said. The contractions weren't painful so I figured I wasn't that far along. It was pretty slow which was nice because the night before they said it was insane and I'd probably would have had to go home. They checked me and I was fully effaced but only at a 1cm but they let me stay anyway. After a while, about 2 hours they checked me and I was at a 4. One of the doctors from my practice came and broke my water (which wasn't bad at all!) and that got my contractions going really strong instantly. I cant remember when but they started me on pitocin and after an hour I was having to breathe through the contractions. My family was coming in and out and talking and laughing and I was just sitting there with a grimace on my face, and they were asking me if I was having a contraction and I of course looked at them like they were idiots, of course I was having contractions! At 11 I asked for an epidural, and the doctor came in around 11:30, it was really fast. She was a hilarious doc, total lesbian and she was like "wow dang, did that tattoo hurt on your back?" I said well it didn't feel great, and she replied if I could get a tattoo that big on my back then I wouldn't even feel the epidural and she was right, it didn't even hurt, she did a magnificant job! She was really enthralled with my tattoo and just kept saying I must be really tough, (It really didn't hurt that bad, it was just 8 hours of annoying dull scratching). Anyhoo, after the epidural kicked in I was loving life again. Only annoying thing is they had to keep turning me and Nixons heart rate would go down on my left side. My BP went down after the Epi but soon was right back up and all was well.

After another 5 minutes another OBGYN came in from the practice, this hunk of a doc and he inserted a montior to monitor my contractions better and the nurse who first triaged me stopped SO in the hallway and said I was one of the touchest women she had met in a while. I guess she was watching my contractions from the monitor and my contractions were through the roof before I got the epidural, she said all of the nurses were saying I was a toughy because when I had a contraction I just closed my eyes and and wrinkled my nose (I am not a screamer). When they asked me on a scale of 1-10 what my pain was I said about a 7 which they couldn't believe judging from the contractions. That made me feel better!

It was a strange feeling having my water gush out everytime I had a contraction. I kept feeling weird pressure around 2pm on, and every hour then on I progressed 1 cm. I felt that weird rectal pressure for like 4 hours and started feeling pain again around 6 and by then I was sooooo thirsty from them not letting me drink anything I thought I might die. By 8, I was all ready to go and the nurse came in and said we would do some practice pushes. It was so sweet because SO looked at me with tears in his eyes and said "We're going to have a baby" I will always remember his face at that very moment. I seriously got nauceas for a moment, I think it was nerves but the nausea went away after a moment.

At that stage everyone left the room, and went to wait while we pushed. I was on oxygen because of Nixon's heart rate so that was a little anoying having that thing strapped ot my face. We practiced 3 times and then my doctor was there in no time. She said she knew I would be a good pusher so she was there as soon as the nurse called her. We pushed about 10 times, and let me tell you, you really start to hyperventilate after holding your breath and pushing! It wasn't bad though, BUT the bad thing was at that point of ushing I realized I felt EVERYTHING which was a little scary. When his head crowned I got to reach down and feel it which was surreal. It was actually funny because the doctor had asked me if I wanted to touch his head and I was sort of anting and said no and then realized I said no and said no wait yes, it was just funny to look back and realize that I actually said no. After his head was out I pushed another time and the rest of him came out. They laid him on me, they cleaned him up and he was having some trouble breathing so they took him to the baby bed fro them to try and get him to stop grunting. The doc was so awesome, SO said it was so interesting to watch her pur oil around my area and help strecth it so I didn't tear. She said I only had a type of scrae or skid mark and she said she would put 2 stitches in. I actually felt the stitches! Everyone came in and saw my little guy, and we were all surprised at how big he was. It was a wonderful experience. I am so lucky I had such great nurses and doctors. We stayed in the hospital for 4 days because Nixon was Jaundice but now are home and he is healthy and only lost .5 of a pound which the pediatrician was really happy about. Pregnancy and having a baby is such a gift, I still can't believe the experience is over, but I truly feel blessed that it went so well and that Nixon is healthy.

Nixon Palmer
7.5 pounds
20.5 inches

June 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sounds like you had a great experience and Nixon is a handsome little dude!

June 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search