Ethan's birth story.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Melody's Avatar The BEST Mommy Ever
Send a message via MSN to Melody
It's taken me a while to post a birth story because I'm still working things out in my head. Grieving, sort of. This was not an experience I wanted to go through.

On Tuesday, April 15th I was admitted into the hospital because of the pre-e. I was feeling bad with a headache, and just very.... down. On the 16th one of my midwives decided the best thing to do was induce me. I agree after a lot of consideration. I had to realize that even with Ethan being early, he would still be healthy, and I had to take care of myself now. So we go for it. They implanted the Cervidil at 9pm. It was almost instantly that I started having contractions. When they checked me, i was 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced. Almost exactly what i was before i went in. At 1am, the nurse comes in and takes out the Cervidil because I was having way to many contractions way to fast. They were between 2 and 3 min apart. They gave me some drugs to help me sleep, because of the long day ahead, but I could still feel the contractions. At 7am I woke up and showered then at 8 one of the midwives broke my water. I get up and walk around for quite a while, then when I come back I get a whole bunch of great news. So the midwife that admitted me in the hospital decided not to tell me that with pre-e I would have to transfer my care to a high risk OB. Ok, i can handle this. So the OB comes in, checks me, and pops another surprise, Pitocin. I was hoping to avoid it all together, but nope. I can handle this. But that means I cant walk around anymore. Then the next surprise. The midwife that admitted me should have put me on Magnesium Sulfate when I first got there. But nope. So while I'm having horrible contractions every couple of min. I'm having to make all of these decisions that should have been made before the Cervidil was implanted, and I could make rational decisions on my own. Rick was wonderful when it came to talking things over with me. So while He's coaching me with breathing, he's also making most of the decisions that shouldnt have had to be made at that time. So now I'm basically strapped to the bed. I do get up, do some labor dances, sit on the birthing ball, and do some other things to help progress labor. Nothing worked. I was having contraction right after contraction that measured in the 80's and 90's on the charts, and I was only 5 cm dilated and still only 75% effaced. After spending 24 hours in labor, with horrible contractions, I finally decide I need an epidural. Another thing I was hoping to avoid. But I gave it a good shot. Most of the women I've talked to said they wouldn't have been able to handle it for that long. So at that point I try and get some rest. It doesn't work. With the epidural, I start throwing up. And then I get horrible shakes. Who could sleep through that. Then finally at 12 am, I decide that a C-section would be the best bet. Another thing I was hoping to avoid. But Ethan's head was tilted wrong, and that's why labor didn't progress. The Ob felt that trying to move him could harm him, and there was no way I'd agree to something like that knowing it could hurt him. So I go into the operating room to get prepped. Rick couldn't go in quite yet, so I was on the table, freezing and shaking, the only way I could stop the shaking was to close my eyes and relax as much as possible. I fell asleep. I woke up to Rick sitting over my head and a bunch of tugging on my belly. I thought they were still prepping me. Then a nurse said " Welcome the the world little guy" and we heard him scream. Both Rick and I started to cry. They took Ethan over to get weighed before letting me see him. But right away, Rick got up to be with him. That was one thing I made Rick promise me, that he would always be by Ethan's side. After they told me all the fun stuff, that he weighed 7 lbs and was 18.5 inches long they let Rick bring him over to me. He was precious. He fell asleep almost immediately, but I got to give him lot of kisses. So we were brought up to the room. After all the hustle and bustle, I finally get to hold him. That was the best moment of my life. After that, we try and get some rest. It didn't happen very well.

It wasn't the labor I had wanted, and I'm most definitely upset with the midwife that admitted me. And I'm just not happy with the whole labor, but Rick and I made all the right decisions for me. And we couldn't be happier with the end result. He's an absolutely beautiful baby, and I couldn't ask for more. My pregnancy didnt go well for be, and the labor was awful, we've decided Ethan will be our one and only. I couldn't imagine going through all that again.

That's my birth story.

And now the fun part!!!

Thanks for the beautiful siggy, Bonnie! You're the best!!!
July 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a darling!

I'm sorry you weren't able to get the delivery you wanted...but so thankful you both are healthy and doing well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search