Baby Jordan F.'s Birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After two roller coaster weeks, trips back and forth from hospital with issues ranging from low amniotic fluid, cord around the neck, reduced fetal movements, unproductive contractions etc I called my OB on Thursday July 24 after having a night where baby wasn’t moving as he usually move. I admit I had some anxiety due to the fact that I knew the baby had the cord around his neck (nuchal cord) and every time he did not move as usually I was concerned that it might have been the cord that was cutting short the supply of oxygen.

Dr’s office asked me to go in to be monitored and check for fetal distress and by about 12.30 we were there…and put on the monitor as they went for lunch. Between Monday July 21 and Thursday July 24, I had lost 2.5lbs. The nurse commented about it but I told her it might be due to the stress or anxiety and the fact that I have been walking at least 5 miles a day…as for eating, I was eating well.

Dr. did an internal and for some reason the baby had bounced back inside. He was floating in the womb and in comparison to Monday, that was a little backward. Last Monday the baby’s head was dropping to the pelvic and he could be felt, that was the time he stripped my membranes. The only thing that could explain this backward progress was suspicion that the cord had pulled the baby back to the womb.

While the heartbeat was good, he was basically sleeping even after I drank cold sweet juice etc. After lunch doc came in and spoke to both of us and explained to us how the scenario would be at its best and at its worst.

The best would be a successful induction and delivery of a baby with fully developed lungs. Though going with the first date of my lmp (or m/c) my due date would be Aug 7, the hospital had changed my due date to August 14 making me exactly 37 weeks on July 24. Dr. told us that u/s can be wrong +/- one week and if it was a minus, it would mean that we are delivering a preemie. He needed us to understand that clearly. He also told us that at times inductions are not successful and end in c/s and then left it to DH and I to decide what we wanted to do. I was anxious to say YES, am ready (coz my instincts were very sure the baby was fully developed and it was more dangerous to keep him in the womb with the cord around his neck, than have him) and then Dr. turned to DH; who also consented and we got our prescription for induction and went to the hospital.

At 3PM – I got hooked with IV and very low doze of Pitocin. I also got my first doze of antibiotics because I was GBS positive and they were to administer every 4 hours.

At about 4PM, I started having mini regular contractions. I decided to wait a little and feel how real contractions feel (I never felt cx with my girls coz I got epidural at the same time with epidural). After 2 real cx, I asked for my epidural. I think that was enough. The anesthesiologist was pretty quick and by the time the 3rd cx was coming, we were doing the epidural. What a relief! This was about 5.25PM.

At 9PM – Dr. did an exam and I was ONLY 2cm dilated and 70% effaced at station -3. He broke my waters to speed up things and increased the pitocin very minimally. I also got an oxygen mask to keep baby active – he had began to slow down .

Though out the night, they kept tossing and turning me right side, left side sit up, lay down coz Jordan’s heart was jumping from 140 to 50 then to 70 to 90 to 130 then back to 64 etc which was a main concern. I slept, but could fell the nurses toss and turn me, and the few times I got up, there were at least 3 people in the room watching.

3AM: The monitoring and activity in the room increased my anxiety and I began to wonder if everything was ok, and before they could explain all that was going on, the doc was in the room. They kept checking my cervix. At 3.30AM I was 80% and between 4-5cm. Baby was not taking the cx well so the doc reduced the Pitocin coming in to the IV. The cx stopped being so strong from my monitor view and Jordan’s heart beat was better and more stable.

4 AM – They decided to use the internal monitor and inserted it through my vagina to baby’s head as he was beginning to disappear from screen view when on external. As soon as they did that, they realized that the heart beat was still showing signs of early distress .

4.45 AM – Nurse checked me and I was about 6cm and still 80% and Dr. started explaining the next course of action – c/section . He explained everything to us and made it very clear that we understood the urgency. At this time, I think my epidural quit on me because I started feeling the cx real bad. The anesthesiologist was not far, so he came and added something to my epi-tube that passed from back across my shoulder and told me to wait 5 minutes and I would feel better. By this time my Operating Room was ready and the team was in the room to take me over for the c/s, and they were getting bed ready to wheel me over..

5.00AM – Dr. decided to check me the last time before we went, and as soon as he inserted his fingers he said, Oh my God the head is right here and she is fully dilated. He looked right in to my eye and told me that we needed the baby out in 20 minutes and it would be faster if I pushed since he was right there. He told me to breath in and out and the second breath in, I push out as hard as possible. I did exactly that and head was half way out. Dr asked me not to push again but just take little breathes using my belly muscles, after my first little ‘push’ or breath, the head was out and Dr. managed to reach the neck and get the loop of cord off his neck . He then asked me to keep breathing and just when I did the first one, I saw him holding the baby!! That was so easy!

5.06 AM – Baby Jordan made his arrival after 2 minutes of ‘pushing’. 6lbs 6oz; 20 inches long, apgar score of 9-9. Blessed be the Name of the Lord Most High!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
July 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww, Kel, thanks for sharing an amazing birth story. I'm sorry to hear that Jordan gave you so much stress and anxiety, but the way things turned at the very end - it just shows you the Lord works in mysterious ways. I'm glad you have such a healthy baby boy and that you are all home now. TFS.

Cara's sweethearts
July 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
lilmama's Avatar Veteran
that is sooo AWESOME! God must have been watching over you to make baby drop like that! CONGRATULATIONS ON LITTLE JORDAN ARRIVING SAFELY!

July 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
shyrose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story kel, thanks for sharing! Congrats again on little Jordan!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wG9D996/]
July 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
TPaige's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TPaige
Glad your delivery went well and all is well with Jordan.
<div align="center"> </div>
July 29th, 2008, 12:03 AM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing and congrats!!
July 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Congrats again, and thanks for sharing your story with us!

July 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
What an awesome birth story! I am so happy for you Kel!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
July 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just lurking, but wanted to say congratulations!! That was an amazing birth story. I'm glad everything worked out & your LO is doing just fine!!

July 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great story, Kel! Little Jordan gave you lots of anxiety, but in the end everything turned out just fine And WTG avoiding that c-section!

July 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations, kelly. you are so blessed, and i'm so happy for you and your family.

timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

August 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MarineWife2004
Aww waht a great story!!! CONGRATULATIONS on your baby boy!!

August 4th, 2008, 10:55 AM
xoxopearlyxoxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xoxopearlyxoxo
great story kel, im so glad everything turned out ok and baby jordan is here!

x's 7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search