rowans water birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
purplelady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
rowan ashlynn nicole
6lbs 14oz
19 1/2in
7/29/2008
5:14am

my hubby was staying an hour away for work and i was dilated to 2 and 30% effaced, and had been having irragular contractions for the last week.
7/28/2008
7pm - i was on the phone with my hubby when i started having stronger but painless contractions, but told him not to get excited as this had happened before and that i would probably stop just like the last time.after i got off the phone with him i went down to my mother part of the house and we started timing them. after an hour and a half of them being 5 min apart but painless we decided to call my midwife. she suggested that we come in and at least get checked just to be safe. so off we went, with only one other person of my labor team in tow, we shall call her bean...lol.

9:30pm - we get to the birthing center and i am checked. i am dilated to 3 and 40% effaced, but my contrax are still painless, so my midwife suggests we take a walk and get checked again in an hour. so off we went laughing and joking the whole way. side note: my hubbies nephew had his car so he was trying to get ahold of someone to come get him, but he feel asleep.
tried calling hubby at this point, but no answer.

11pm - we had been back from our walk for about 15min at this point and my contractions were still not painful but were definitely more uncomfortable. my midwife thought i was way to chipper to really be in labor. so she checked me, i was 4 and so we decided that she was gonna go take a short nap.

the hours in between are nothing but a lot of laughing and joking...and trying to get ahold of my hubby. i was handling the contractions with out having to stop and concentrate, they were a breeze. my midwife had a hard time believing i was really in labor....lol.

2:30am - my midwifes "short" nap is finally over...lol. and she comes into check me, i am still at 4 but basically completely effaced. so she suggests that i either get up and walk or let her break my water....i really wasnt to sure i wanted to do that, because i knew that the contractions would get real harsh real fast....but i also didnt want to labor for ever so i decided to let her.

2:45am - she breaks my water. the contractions get way more intense but still dont really hurt all that much, nothing that some deep breathing and humming couldnt take care of, along with a back rub from the wonderful bean. i finally got ahold of my hubby and the great ride hunt began, as my hubbies nephew had our car so he could get to work in the morning ( he works with my hubby but only lives 20 min or so from were they work so when my hubby stays down to save gas money. his nephew uses it)

4am - we discus getting into the tub, and decide that i could get in for an hour and a half and then get out for a while if need be, so that it didnt lose its effectiveness. we decide to do another check before getting into the tub and low and behold i am at 7 and very stretchy....yay only 3 more to go. right before i get into the tub beans 18yr old brother called to see how i was doing and wanted to know if my eyes were dilated enough yet to push the baby out....this set the whole room off in another bout of laughter and provided us with jokes right up until about 10 min before i delivered. the contractions finally take all of my concentration to get through them and a hand rub from bean....she was my life saver, i couldnt have made it through it with out her.

4:30 - i finally get that slight push urge and tell my midwfe that it is getting harder not to push, and she tells me that is what she has been waiting to hear and leaves to call the other widwife.

4:50 - my hubby finally gets there just before i start the test pushing. my other midwife showed up just before my hubby and and as midwife # 1 is catching her up i hear her say that i have just breezed through this amazingly, and that really made me feel good. i did about 5-10min of test pushing before the real urge to push took over

5:05am - the urge takes over and i have never, ever felt anything like the feeling of her moving down and out of my body. it hurt bad and i got vocal, i did not scream or cry, but more like a primal grunt and growl that got kinda loud. and i let out a few choice words and f raises that i am sure embarrassed my mother at least a little. i said the typical "i dont think i can do this" and i also told them that there was no way i could do this for two hours (like i did with my second). it was amazing and that feeling of her moving out of me really blind sided me, and having her slide back was so frustrating, because i knew that i had to get her back to that point again. i was not in control of the pushing my body just kinda took over. because of my two previous episiotamies (sp?) i asked a few times if i was tearing....lol. apparently everyone found it funny that i was so intense when pushing but so relaxed in between, and i still managed to crack a joke or two.

5:14am - she is born, my intense pushing stage was a whole 9 min, and i was so worried about pushing for 2 hours....lol. i walked away with two small tears. we stayed in the tub for about 20min before they cut the cord and we got out.
and we were home by 9am. it was the most amazing thing i have ever done. my hubby now tells everyone that i am a savage and that natural water births are the way to go.....lol.i was really surprised as i kept waiting for the contractions to really hurt, and they never did.

mom to Tru(12), Rienn (8), Rowan (3) and twin angels: Valhalla grace & Kjartan michael 12-5-10 (due 6/20/11)
NFC west Division champions '04,'05,'06,'07
August 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
WOW!! Congrats!!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
August 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
lilmama's Avatar Veteran
CONGRATULATIONS on your little girl! sounds like you were a real trooper!

August 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*KSmittyAU*~
Way to go!! I'm glad you had a great experience!! Congrats!!!

Thank you Sarah (doremi) for my WONDERFUL siggy!

Kym (26); wife to Brandon(25), Mommy to Carson (2), and a child of GOD
August 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an amazing story... congrats!!
August 3rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I so hope that I am lucky enough to have a labor & delivery like yours. I suppose a lot of it is mind of matter and you apparently had the right mindset. Congrats on having a rather calm & pain free experience - and congrats on your little girl!!!

Cara's sweethearts
August 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucky gal! COntractions that do not hurt! How blessed would that be!
Congratulations!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
August 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Now THAT'S the kind of labor experience that I wanna have! Lucky you progressing with so little pain! Congratulations on the birth, and thanks for sharing your story!

August 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great birth story! I totally know the feeling of "I can't do this for 2 hours," that is what I said when I started pushing with Sean--and I only had to push for 15 minutes! Maybe dreading a long pushing phase gives us that extra oomph to get them out quickly!

August 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MarineWife2004
Wow you are one lucky girl. Congratulations!!

August 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
purplelady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
TY ladies.....i generally have i high thresh hold for pain and i had wonderful support that played the distraction card very well.....and when they started to get uncomfortable, i just let my body ride them instead of fight them and that i think is what kept them from getting to that unbearable point for me. and i think reading hypnobirthing was a real help, i didnt end up using any of their techniques, but the deep breathing was a real big help and keeping my body as relaxed as possible.

Quote:
Wow, I so hope that I am lucky enough to have a labor & delivery like yours. I suppose a lot of it is mind of matter and you apparently had the right mindset. Congrats on having a rather calm & pain free experience - and congrats on your little girl!!![/b]
i really do think that some of it has to do with mind set. with my second i went into it thinking i couldnt handle the contractions and that i would need drugs (granted she was sunnyside up) and the contractions hurt so bad with her...this time i had been telling myself the whole pregnancy that i could do it and that it would be a breeze, and i gave myself no real choice, as i cant do narcotics (well i could but i wont as i dont handle them well) and there is no chance of an epi at the birth center....lol.

Quote:
What a great birth story! I totally know the feeling of "I can't do this for 2 hours," that is what I said when I started pushing with Sean--and I only had to push for 15 minutes! Maybe dreading a long pushing phase gives us that extra oomph to get them out quickly![/b]
ITA, because the idea of 2 hours of pushing really got me pushing...KWIM!

mom to Tru(12), Rienn (8), Rowan (3) and twin angels: Valhalla grace & Kjartan michael 12-5-10 (due 6/20/11)
NFC west Division champions '04,'05,'06,'07
August 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
first_timer29's Avatar Veteran
What a great birth experience - - Congrats on your baby girl

Thank you Helen for a beautiful Siggy

August 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
congrats! sounds like you had a great birth experience!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search