Wyatt James

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Birdie's Avatar Loved by Two
(Ok, really long, sorry!)

Wyatt James
7/31/08
8:03 pm
7 lbs
19.5 inches
Due Date: 8/13/08

They say the best laid plans always fail......

I got up on Thrusday July 31 with a lot of things to do. My mom had just gotten into town the night before and my baby shower was on Saturday. My mom is here for a month, the plan being to help me get ready for him and then stay a couple weeks after. That day I had my 38 week check up at 10:45 and another round of maternity portraits with my friend (this time with DD and DH, can't resist a plug for the BEST photographer in Texas! Artistic Images) at 1:00pm. Then we had to clean clean clean for the shower, finish hanging some stuff in his room, do a bunch of laundry, grocery shop, and generally "get ready."

When I finally got in the car to go to my appointment I realized I'd been really grouchy back at the house and I was feeling really crampy. I called my DH to remind him I about the portrait session and said, "FYI, I'm feeling crampy." He asked if that meant it was "time" and I told him I felt crampy for a few days before my DD so it could mean soon or it could be nothing. I had gotten really bad sleep the night before and my body reacts funny when I miss sleep. So I thought it could just be that. I got to my appointment and was warned she was running a little behind because of an emergency that morning. So as I was waiting in the lobby with nothing else to distract me I realized that this was more than "crampy." I started timing and after an hour of waiting I was called back and had noted I was regularly contracting every five minutes.

As soon as my doc walked in she asked if I was ok and when I told my doc she looked surprised and when she checked me she said, "Yeah you are a good four centimeters and I can feel this is a real contraction. You need to go to the hospital now." When I debated mentioning I'd like to finish running my errands she said, "You look like you're in pain!" I said, "yeah, I am, could I go home and take a nap?" She laughed and reminded me that for the last two checks I'd been barely anything and that I was in active labor. I just couldn't believe it! With my DD I went to the hospital with regular contractions but wasn't dilating. I hadn't experienced this before.

I got to the hospital about 12:30 pm. They got me in really quickly and set me up in a room. It was kinda of scary walking in by myself (I drove myself since I was at my docs) without my bags or anything. My mom and DD were back at my house but didn't have a car and my DH was hurrying to get here but was at a meeting across town and was swinging by our house to get our bags and bring my mom to the hospital to pick up my car. I also realized my bag wasn't fully packed so I kept calling my mom every five minutes remembering something else she needed to put in it. She laughed at me when I told her I wanted my make up bag but I can attribute the good hospital photos to that request!

At 2:00 pm my doctor arrived to check on me and I was feeling leaky and my bag was broken. I was still only about five cm so she guessed things would progress now that I had ruptured. I asked for an epidural and was told the doctor was next door and would be right in. That scared me cause I really wanted my DH there for that. Luckily, well sort of, the anesthesiologist got called to the ER on an emergency and I would have to wait. My DH got there about 2:30 and my contractions were really picking up then. The baby was moving so much they couldn't pick him on the external fetal monitors so I had to have the little scalp one put on. DH was great at helping me through the pain but I'll be honest, I was SO glad to see the doctor!

With my DD I have barely any recollection of the epidural because I was so out of it in pain they could have been cutting my legs off and I wouldn't have noticed. They couldn't even get me to sit up for it last time. This time I took the needle going in ok but at the point where he warned me I would feel a little nerve shock down my leg I thought I was going to die. I felt a "little nerve shock" everywhere! But DH, my nurse, and the doc talked me through it really well. I really appreciated how thorough he was in explaining everything he was doing calmly and slowly and always asking me if I was ready. He was great. Once the epidural started kicking in I felt fantastic. I could feel Wyatt moving into position and pressure down low but was no longer in pain. Kenny and I got to talk about how exciting it all was and how shocked we were! We both took a little nap since we had such bad sleep the night before. We were awoken when my nurse ran in. She was checking another patient and all of the monitors show all the other rooms at the very top. My monitor sent out a distress signal as the baby's heart rate was dropping rapidly and my blood pressure was barely non existent. And my good pattern of contractions got really funky. I had to roll over quickly to my left side and use the oxygen mask for a bit. It was pretty scary but I was so thankful for the scalp monitor or else they may not have had the heart rate picked up on the external monitoring.

The nurse kept checking my progress after that and I kept hanging out between cm. Like I was a five and then for a long time I was a five almost six. Then about six o'clock my doctor came to check me and told me she was surprised I hadn't delivered yet. She checked me and I was a six maybe almost seven but not really. We agreed the epidural had probably slowed things down a bit for me which was the opposite of last time (once I got the epidural I went from four to seven in an hour and I only got it after 20+ hours tyring to do it naturally while on pitocin ). My nurses were changing then and my doc told me she was going to go to dinner close by so they would call her when I was ready. This was all about 6:30. My new nurse came in, checked me herself, agreed I was still a six barely a seven. She told me to switch up positions to try and get things moving. I changed sides and my BP dropped again so we tried on my back. His heartrate dropped so I went back to the left and back on the oxygen. About 7:20 she checked me again and I was a six maybe seven still and she asked where I felt pressure. I told her my pelvic area and she said, you need to feel it in your bum. She was going to check another patient but told me to holler when I felt the "poop pressure." My poor DH was starving so I sent him down to the cafe to eat. He asked if he should bring it back and I said, "I'm not even a seven and I dont' want to see your food! I didn't know I was having a baby I had a bagel at 12 hours ago!" He laughed and went downstairs.

I kept resting and then all of a sudden I felt the pain in my bum. It went away. A minute or so it was back, and then it was back again and OH MY GOD could I feel it. I texted DH "GET BACK NOW" and hit the call nurse button. He was back before they answered (FYI when I checked in I had gotten the last bed they were packed!) and he took one look at me and ran for the nurse. My nurse was in the middle of an epidural with nother patient so another nurse came in. She checked me and I was a full 10 cm and he was way low. This was 7:40 pm now, twenty minutes before I was still a six. Everything moved really quickly then. The whole bed was rearranged for birthing, the lights came on, I heard someone yelling to call my doctor ASAP. My nurse came back in and I was yelling about the pain. They said the epidural might have worn off some and he may be able to come back in and give me the boost for delivery. Then she checked me and said there was no time for that. My nurse put on on the birthing gown while the other nurse held one leg and my DH the other.

I have never felt anything like that in my entire life. God bless the women who go natural with no pain medications. You are my heroes! I pushed for about fifteen minutes and my angel, Wyatt James, was delivered at 8:03 pm by my nurse. I would never have been able to do it without them. They were so awesome talking me through the pain and helping me push him effectively. My doctor literally walked in the door a minute later out of breath from running! I am so thankful I wasn't told I had to wait for the doctor or not to push. I know that can be very dangerous to mother and child and I appreciate that it didnt' matter if a nurse delivered my baby and not a doctor.

As I was being cleaned up (oh and I forgot to say, my hospital got certified as a cord blood donation center so we donated his cord blood! YAY!) my nurse was taking off my epidural and she said, "oh, hon, that's what happened!" I asked what and she showed me that the epidural tubing got pinched between the bed handles and the medicine was pinched off. Oh well! I have to say having done it with and without (a lot of) the epidural that it was by far the most painful agonizing thing I've ever experienced but it definetly made me a more effective pusher. With my DD I pushed and pushed for an hour and while I felt pressure I couldn't feel where to bear down and push. She was getting stuck at crowning and before trying a vacuum or salad tongs I got a episiotomy and then tore also. This time I knew right where to push and could feel how to ease and manuever to help him out. I had a tiny interior tear and my area feels so much better now than the last time.

So last time I experienced a painful labor and gave into the epidural which helped labor be more effective but delivery less so. This time I go the epidural earlier which helped with a more comfortable labor but then delivery was more effective cause it wore off. Last time I was in labor for 24 hours (from beginning of contractions to delivery) this time it was 9.5. Total opposites!

August 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow!
sounds like everything worked out well. i can't wait to have a birth story!
August 4th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
wow that did happen fast huh... but good thing your mom was there. It sounds like a great story and i am glad your holding your baby boy in your arms and not your belly! When was your due date?

August 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats, Holly! Gives me hope that maybe things will start happening soon for me since I haven't had any changes over the last few weeks. It's cool that the nurse delivered your baby so you wouldn't have to wait unnecessarily.

August 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Birdie's Avatar Loved by Two
Quote:
wow that did happen fast huh... but good thing your mom was there. It sounds like a great story and i am glad your holding your baby boy in your arms and not your belly! When was your due date?[/b]
Amy, I added it at the top! I was due 8/13/08 so I delivered at 38 weeks 1 day!

August 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Congratulations again, and what a story!! That is awesome that you donated his cord blood! We are going to try to do the same thing, but because it has to be picked up via courier, I can only do it if I deliver Monday-Thursday. If I deliver on the weekend, we won't be able to donate. So, we're keeping our fingers crossed! Thanks for sharing your story!

August 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a story. Glad to hear you had a pretty quick delivery even if it was a bit more painful than you'd have liked. Congrats again on your little baby boy!!!

Cara's sweethearts
August 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MarineWife2004
Congratulations!! I can't believe you managed with out the pain meds. Good job hun!

August 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*KSmittyAU*~
Congrats on the birth of baby Wyatt James. Sounds like you did an awesome job!!! Thanks for sharing...

Thank you Sarah (doremi) for my WONDERFUL siggy!

Kym (26); wife to Brandon(25), Mommy to Carson (2), and a child of GOD
August 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing!
August 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I second how the pushing is really effective without the epidural. I did it without pain meds and I could really feel when I needed to push and where she was. Way to go!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search