Austin Earle

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM
ozzie_and_me's Avatar Super Mommy
Here's baby Austin's birth story!

Austin Earle
Born July 20th, 2008 @ 38 weeks
4:54 pm
9 lbs 11 oz
21 in.
Due August 3rd

On Saturday the 19th, I felt some leakage that I thought was pee... I figured that was the last frontier of my preggo experience... incontinence! I was a little skeptic, though, because in the bathroom it didn't look or smell like pee... I took it easy Saturday night, and Sunday morning when I went to the bathroom a mini gush of fluid came out BEFORE the pee did. I knew something was up, but no contractions had started. I decided it was better to be safe than sorry so I called my doctor and she told me to go to L&D triage to rule out amniotic fluid leakage.

I did, and of course it turned out it was amnio fluid. I was given an ultrasound which showed low amniotic fluid, and a very large baby that hadn't descended. When I was checked internally, there was no dialation and the cervix was quite high. After being 'diagnosed' with macrosomia (big baby) the doctor made the decision to do an emergency caesarean. This all happened so quickly that I didn't have time to get scared about it. All of a sudden I realized I was going to meet my litle boy that very same day. I made some calls to Oregon to my husband's' family and my mom was with me and called my dad and sister to come meet us at the hospital.

Everyone in the hospital was aware of my particular situation. My husband's passing in March was very difficult for me, and I dreaded delivery because I knew how difficult it would be to go through labor without him by my side. I brought two of my favorite pictures with me and asked my mom to hold them up for me during the surgery. In a way I was relieved it was going to happen so quickly, so I wouldn't have to be in a laboring state for 12+ hours without Damion. Before I could realize what was happening, I was being prepped for surgery and getting a spinal for anesthesia. None of that phased me... I was just thinking about finally holding the baby. I immediately was laid down on the OR bed and my mom and sis were in the room all dressed up in sterile gear. It seemed like only a couple of minutes before I heard Austin cry and saw him peeking up from above the sheet. A few minutes after that he was wrapped up and brought to me for some kisses. I knew he was okay and I cried and cried while I was being sewn back up!

I spent about an hour in recovery and got taken to my room. The baby was brought to me shortly thereafter and we got to spend some beautiful quality time together. I couldn't get out of bed for another several hours, but the nurses helped me get him on for breastfeeding and I just stared at him, falling completely in love.

Because he was such a big baby, his blood sugars were routinely checked. They dipped below what was acceptable sometime early on Monday morning, and my baby was transferred to the NICU to stabilize his hypoglycemia. I was so disappointed to have him taken from my room, but figured this was a minor issue and I would have him back soon.

Long story short, he spent a little more time in the NICU than I would have hoped. After his blood sugars got stabilized, he wasn't tolerating feedings, so a tube was inserted into his belly to remove any fluid he may have swallowed in the c-section... during this time he had to be given nourshment via IV, and because he needed so much, the drs put in an umbilical iv... over the next few days he was feeding (my pumped milk mostly) and getting fewer amounts of iv liquids. Once he was feeding on his own, the IV was taken out. However, the iv irritated his heart and caused tachycardia (fast heartbeat). A cardiologist was called in and 'fixed' him... and the final hurdle was a blood test with a positive culture for bacteria... since he wasn't acting sick the dr thought the sample may have been contaminated so the test was repeated... of course, there was no blood infection... but all of these NICU issues kept my baby there for a total of 9 days. I feel most of those issues were caused by the treatment he was getting there, so I became quite upset and untrusting.

All in all, the first week was quite harrowing!! I visited him several times a day after I got discharged. I saw how chubby and pink he was... breathing on his own, eating on his own.... being in an open crib... and felt he should be HOME! It was sad to be next to tiny preemie babies who were going to be there for months... In any case, i was ECSTATIC when he got finally discharged on Tuesday th 29th.

It's been a week since Austin's been home, and I've been in heaven. I feel my husband's presence every time I look at our baby... but I miss him more than ever now. I have a huge network of family and friends who have been so great with helping me out. I couldn't ask for more in that aspect.

Recovering from the C-section was not as bad as I thought it was going to be! By the end of the first week I was off all pain meds and drove my car at the 8th day. (Maybe I shouldn't have, but I needed to get myself to the hospital to see Austin and sometimes there was noone available to take me...) It all worked out, though, and I am feeling like my old self.

Wow, this is quite a long birth story. Thanks for reading this far if you have!!!!
Congrats to all the new mommies and babies.
xoxoxo

ps- I keep adding more pics to his picasa albums to check out the link in my siggie for the latest!

[
August 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww, what a touching story. I can't imagine what it must have been like to go through the delivery without Damion, yet I'm sure you felt him with you the whole time. I'm so happy that Austin is now at home and doing well. Congrats to both of you and may you have a blessed life with your little man! Thanks for sharing.

Cara's sweethearts
August 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Luli, your story brought tears to my eyes when I read about you having Damion's picture with you in the OR. I'm sorry your little guy spent so much time in the NICU; I can imagine how hard it was to not bring him home with you right away.

But the good thing is that you are now both healthy and home together!

August 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
first_timer29's Avatar Veteran
What a touching birth story!! I'm so glad you have your beautiful son to look at everyday - he is beautiful!! Congrats

Thank you Helen for a beautiful Siggy

August 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*KSmittyAU*~
Luli- your story brought tears to my eyes as well. I'm glad you had Damion's pictures with you and your mom and sister... I'm so glad you have your little (or big!) Austin home with you now! Congrats!!!

Thank you Sarah (doremi) for my WONDERFUL siggy!

Kym (26); wife to Brandon(25), Mommy to Carson (2), and a child of GOD
August 6th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Birdie's Avatar Loved by Two
Luli, your strength is nothing short of amazing. I am so happy for you and congrats on baby Austin!

August 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm so thrilled for you Luli! Congratulations again!

August 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so happy for you Luli!!

August 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Luli and thanks for sharing your beautiful story!
September 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM
xoxopearlyxoxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xoxopearlyxoxo
That really was such a beautiful story. I cried through out it. Congrats and all of your pictures are great!

x's 7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search