My Logan's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Super Mommy
Logan’s birth story: born August 4, 2008 (exactly 2 weeks early)

I woke up at 2:00 to use the bathroom. Told DH there was a little bit of blood mixed with urine and that I’d just keep an eye on it (not concerned since I started losing my mucus plug on Saturday). I started having very mild menstrual type cramps (nothing new- been having those some). At 2:12, the cramp got a little worse, but not unbearable at all. At 2:17, I felt like I had to go to the bathroom again so I stood up and WHOOSH, my water broke. I went straight for the bathroom and told DH I thought it was GO TIME. He called the dr’s office and started getting everything ready (we were already packed- just had to grab a few last minute things). 2 minutes later, the dr called back and I told her what was going on and she said go on to the hospital.

We got in the car and called both sets of parents to tell them we were on our way in- contractions started getting a little more strong. In the 12 minute drive to the hospital, I had 4 contractions- not mind blowing, but enough that I held on to the “Oh ######” handle and had to put my hand up to tell DH to stop talking. On the way into the hospital, I had to stop for a contraction.

We walked in and went to our Labor and Delivery room- another contraction- this one even stronger. I changed into my gown and DH had to go sign papers (thankfully, we preregistered so it didn’t take too long). The nurse checked me and I was 4.5-5 cm dilated. Contractions are coming every 2 minutes or so and are very painful. The nurses struggled to get the IV in (as is usual in my case), which sucked because I couldn’t get the epidural until 1 bag of IV was empty. As soon as it was, I got the epidural and within 5 minutes, the baby’s heart rate dropped. They gave my oxygen and put me on either side- still not coming up. The nurse called for my doctor STAT and 4 other nurses came running in. Thankfully, I couldn’t see their faces because DH said they had looks on their faces like this wasn’t good. They flipped me all kinds of which ways and gave me a catheter and internal fetal monitor while still on oxygen. Baby’s heart rate came back up and they monitored me over the next 15 minutes. The doctor came and checked my progress again a few times and I was about 6.5 or 7 cm dilated (I was sure I was 8 or 9 with the contractions I was having prior to the epidural!) Those 15 minutes weren’t too bad- I could feel pressure about every 5 minutes, but no pain.

Then the doctor talked with us about what was going on. She said the baby’s heart rate was at a normal rate, but she wasn’t happy that the baby’s heart rate wasn’t increasing when she would check my progress. She also was concerned because she said I was having contractions one right on top of the other. We discussed options: have a C-section or wait it out and try to have a vaginal delivery. There was no risk to the baby with the C-section (other than your normal risks with surgery) and the vaginal delivery had the risk that baby could be fine and deliver fine or he could go into distress again and we could end up with an emergency C-section. DH and I had previously talked and after all we went through to have this baby, as soon as the possibility came up that something and a C-section might be the best option, we were going with it. We just wanted to have a healthy baby. The doctor, of course went over details of the C-section and that it is a surgery and the risks and what it may mean down the road, etc. We decided not to risk anything and let’s do the C-section.

So they prepped me and DH came in. They had to give me a shot of something in my arm to stop my uterus from contracting (I didn’t even know it, but she said I was still having contractions one on top of the other) so she could get the baby out better.

Logan was born at 5:39 am, 7 lbs, 3oz, 19.5 inches long and was/is very healthy! It ended up that he had turned at some point and was “sunny side up” (his face was facing up instead of down).

We couldn't be happier!

August 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
maddy and tommy's mommy's Avatar Lovin my precious kiddos!
Wow, glad it is over! Can't wait to see pictures! Congrats!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!
August 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats mama can't wait to see how handsome he is!

August 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Congrats on your baby boy! I'm glad everything went well and that he is healthy!

August 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that's something how the contractions came on so quick like that! Glad you got to the hospital quickly and that everything went more or less okay. Congrats on your little boy!!!

Cara's sweethearts
August 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
congrats! our babies have the same birthday!

August 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Logan!! Our babies have the same bday.
August 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I can't believe how fast everything happened after your water broke! You've got a handsome little man

August 15th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He is a very good looking man!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
August 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*KSmittyAU*~
Congrats!!! That is the cutest little picture!!!

Thank you Sarah (doremi) for my WONDERFUL siggy!

Kym (26); wife to Brandon(25), Mommy to Carson (2), and a child of GOD

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search