Carson's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*KSmittyAU*~
Robert Carson ( we call him Carson)
August 7, 2008 (37 weeks 1 day)
7:04 am
8 lbs 3 0z
20 in.

The morning of, DH and I had to wake at 3:45 to get ready and be at the hospital by 5. All the way there we just smiled and talked about how were going to meet our baby very shortly!!! We arrived at Labor and Delivery and they told us what room we would be in for our stay and we could put our things in there and then go to the OR prep room. We took our bags to our room and put our snacks and drinks in the fridge, then off we went to the prep room. Once in there i changed into my gown and got put on the monitor. Baby was doing great! My bp was 149/93, so they agreed they had made the right decision to take him at 37 weeks gestation. They drew my blood (took 3 times to get the IV started.. no numbing meds! ouchie!) and started me on saline. She was pushing that stuff in fast! By this time it was close to 6 am and our families started to arrive. The nurse tried to get me all prepped before they got there, but my family is chronically early, so it did not happen. She had them wait outside while she shaved me. It was weird to hear them talking while I was being shaved!!! My nurse was so nice. She was laughing and talking with us and keeping me calm the whole time. At 6:30 she told us to say good bye to our family as we were about to walk to the OR!!! They went down to wait in our room. I told her I had to go to the restroom and she asked if I had to go bad b/c they were about to catheterize me. I told her I just didn't want to pee on myself while they gave me the spinal b/c I was nervous. She said "good enough, go on!" I had been pretty calm and laughing and joking up till this point. Then we get into the OR...DH had to stay out while they prepped me, and as soon as I walked in and saw the operating table, I broke down crying. They calmed me down and sat me on the bed. The nurse talked to me and asked me what my baby's name was going to be and all this while the dr gave me the spinal. It wasn't bad at all!! IT took a few minutes to feel numb and they started doing my catheter before I thought i was completely numb and I said "Hey, I don't think I'm numb enough for that yet!!!" The nurse laughed and said "really? because I just put it in!" They all laughed at that. They put the sheet up and prepped my stomach and the drs came and talked to me a bit. I was a bit shaky but ok at this point. They brought DH in and told him that it had taken a bit because I had a mini panic attack. He told them he expected it to happen. He came and sat next to my head and they asked if I was doing ok and I said "Yes" they said "good b/c we have already started!" Not a couple of minutes later I hear my dr say "Oh my! The hair!" and out came my little Carson! He cried right away. Apgar score was 9/9... He weight 8 lb 3 oz! Everyone was shocked he was so big b/c he was only 37 weeks! I was shocked too, I kept asking '8 lbs? are you sure?" They wrapped him up and brought him over for me to see for a second. Then they gave me a little something in my IV to help me relax b/c I started getting upset when DH had to leave. After all I was still wide open! HE took our baby and carried him to meet our family. A few minutes later I was wheeled down to our room for recovery. I got in my room at 7:45! It was that quick!!
Carson was making a grunting noise which I thought was adorable, but the nurses said it was NOT cute and he needed to stop b/c it meant he was having issues with his lungs. They kept him in a warming tray for quite a while and I was in bed and couldn't hold him until his temp increased. Finally I got to hold him and it was amazing looking at my baby boy and being able to kiss him. DH took him for a minute and he started grunting again and thats when they decided he needed to go to NICU.

I don't want to make his birth story about the other things going on but that 5 minutes was the happiest 5 mintues of my life and I can't wait to hole my baby again!

Oh and recovery has been a breeze! I was pretty sore the day after, but today I'm feeling pretty great!

Thank you Sarah (doremi) for my WONDERFUL siggy!

Kym (26); wife to Brandon(25), Mommy to Carson (2), and a child of GOD
August 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a great c-section! I'm glad your recovery is going well, and I still can't believe Carson was so big!

I'm praying for him every day.

August 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Quote:
Sounds like a great c-section! I'm glad your recovery is going well, and I still can't believe Carson was so big!

I'm praying for him every day.[/b]
Saying lots of prayers for both of you!!

August 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Regular
You're in my thought and prayers Kym and Carson!
August 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are in my prayers!!
August 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww I had an emergancy c-section and had a pannic attack so I know all too well how emotional that is... I am happy that you are ok and recovery is going well and I hope your little man gets well soon!

August 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! Carson was born at exactly the same gestation age as Jordan and he was over 2lkbs heavier! Great strong boy!

Am glad that he is now pulling off great!

Hope you are feeling more recovered from delivery!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
August 21st, 2008, 12:32 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
What a great story! I hope he comes home soon!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
August 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a pretty good c-section. I am thrilled that Carson is now home and doing better. Congrats!

Cara's sweethearts

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search