Benjamin Robert

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry... kinda long!

Benjamin Robert
Born 8/4/08 (36 weeks and 4 days) at 9:19 PM
Due Date 8/28/08
6 lbs 11 ounces and 20 inches
On Sunday, August 3rd Brian decided to tear out the vinyl in our laundry room and put in a tile floor. We definitely wanted this done before the baby arrived so he figured this would be a good time since I wasn’t due until the end of August. We joked that I would go into labor just because my house was a mess and the laundry room closet stuff and washer/ dryer were in my living room! Maybe this was the male version of nesting? On Monday morning (August 4th) I went to work as usual. A little before 3:00 PM, I felt some fluid leak so I went to the bathroom. I figured it wasn’t my water so didn’t think anything of it until I realized that the leaking was happening regularly. So I decided to head home. In the car, it seemed to be gushing out so I called labor & delivery who told me to come in. I wasn’t feeling any contractions at this point, just a little back ache. When I got home, it was a mess, tile stuff and grout everywhere, and Brian was covered in it too. My mother-in-law drove me to the hospital while Brian showered and got my stuff together. When we got to the hospital, I was feeling fine. They transferred me up to labor & delivery in a wheelchair even though I wanted to walk. I was put in the admission room to be checked. They took a fluid sample to make sure it was amniotic fluid… it was. Jan, the nurse, checked me and I was at 3 centimeters. I had been at 3 centimeters and 80% dilated on July 25th at my last doctor’s appointment. Brian arrived just as Jan transferred me to a regular room. I asked about using the Jacuzzi during labor and she said that would be fine and she would get it set up for me. At this point, we made some phone calls to my work and family to let them know what was going on. Brian, his mom, and I walked the halls for about a half an hour because I didn’t feel like sitting or lying around. My back ache was getting stronger at this point. Jan wanted to check me again after the walk and put the monitors on. She had me lay on my left side because she said the baby was sunny-side up and that’s why I was having back pain. I was still at 3 centimeters. Jan said that the Jacuzzi was ready for me. At this point, my mom and dad had arrived and I told Brian that he should get something to eat since it was about 5:30PM and we didn’t know how long it would take. My mom said she would go with me to the Jacuzzi. The Jacuzzi felt really good, but my back ache was getting much stronger. After about a half an hour in the tub, I wanted to get out because I was feeling more pain. I pushed the button for the nurse and as we were walking to my room, Brian, my dad, and mother-in-law were getting back from dinner. I told them I just wanted Brian and everyone else went to the waiting room. Jan put me on the monitors again and I was at 5 centimeters. Everything looked good on the monitors. When I got off the monitors, I wanted to sit on the toilet. I alternated between sitting on the toilet and bending over the bed for awhile. The whole time I was making Brian put pressure on my back. My throat was sore the next day because I pretty much moaned the whole time, but it really helped with the pain! At about 8:00 PM, I was at 8 centimeters. The nurse said that she was going to finish prepping my room for delivery. She had already called my doctor (who wasn’t on call and came in anyway!) and she was on her way in. I asked for an IV at that point because I thought I might want something to take the edge off if I had to do it much longer. They gave me fluids and a half a dose of a pain med (Neubain) through the IV. At about 8:20 PM they told me that I could start pushing. My contractions seemed very irregular to me and I got to rest between pushing. I told them that I had to have the baby by 9:00 PM because 9:00 PM is my bedtime! Benjamin Robert arrived at 9:19 PM. Brian got to cut the cord and he was put on my chest right away. His Apgars were 9 and 10. When the nurse went to clean him up, he peed on her! I tore and ended up needing 10 stitches. Overall, I feel very fortunate that I had a good labor and delivery. My original plan was to go as natural as possible and I feel like things went how I had hoped. Benjamin is such a blessing and we love him so much! Oh, and my laundry room floor did get finished! Yea!
August 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm so glad you had the kind of birth that you were hoping for! I hope your tear heals quickly. Congratulations on your little boy!

August 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a perfect birth! Congrats!!!

August 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Laurie! I don't know how you did it with back labor and just Nubain to take the edge off. WTG!

August 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! Enjoy your baby!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
August 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your little boy! In many ways your L & D was very similar to mine. All I can say is that back labor is a b****! I thought about having DH massage my back, but when I'm in pain I just get so annoyed I don't want anyone touching me, lol. Anyways, glad you were able to have the natural delivery you wanted.

Cara's sweethearts

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search