Karrigan Alyssa's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
KimberlyD0
Well here is the adventure that was the arrival of my newest DD.... warning its long...

Wed May 14th at 11:30am we arrived at the hospital for my elective c-section. I was finally admitted at 12pm, apparently in the 3 days prier and that day a large influx of babies decided it was time to arrive. We almost had to reschedual because they were not sure there was room for us LOL

There was though so my mom, DH and myself were finally shown to a room where I was hooked up to the IV, after 3 attempts!!! and we waited. Kathy, my midwife arrived at 1pm and let us know that they were running behind because they had 2 emergency sections that morning, but she would be back. I was thrilled to see her because she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to make it to the section.

At 1:30 (half hour late, so not to bad) they wheeled me down to the OR waiting area where the doctors explained what was going to happen. At this point panic was settleing in. Kathy must have seen this because she started talking to me to calm me down. Worked like a charm.

So they finally got me into the room and had me get onto the operating table. It was so different this time. For Kayla with the spinal they numbed the area first, with this one they didn't. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. It didn't take long for me to feel it take effect.

As I was being layed down the doctor and my midwife came in and Karrigan just went nuts. My entire tummy was jumping for a few minutes. They had to wait for it to stop before doing anything LOL.

They finally let DH in and he and Kathy stayed by my head. I was feeling very sick the entire time, but they didn't want to give me anything untill she was out. Apparently my blood pressure was dropping quiet a bit. They gave me oxigen which helped a bit, but to be frank I felt like crap. They finally go her out and gave me a massive dose of gravel. Made the sick stop, but made me super tired instead LOL. So I was fighting sleep.

Karrigan was quiet vocal and made sure we knew she was there LOL. When they brought her over Kathy made sure I could kiss her and see her really well. She looks so much like me. I really expected her to look like Kevin just like Kayla.

when they took her out I really started feeling bad again, super sick and half asleep, then I started getting pressure in my chest. Like someone was sitting on me. I was really bad. I even started crying without realiseing it. Kathy told me after she was really worried because I wasn't responding or really talking at all. They finished up and sat me up and the pressure finally stopped and I could breath again.

After that its a bit of a blur since I spent a good part of it drifting off to lala land.

My mom stayed with me the first night my MIL the second and 3ed. Mom was great help, more then I expected. MIL was great too, but she usually is.

Later when I was finally somewhat awake, the doctor and Kathy both came to see me.

Apparently Karrigan flipped at the last second. Go figure. The spinal must have relaxed the uterus enough for her to turn, when they saw my tummy going nuts they figure that was when she turned. They found out after he'd already opened me up, gave him quiet a shock..

She did have the cord around her neck a few times, so they both figured I would have needed an emergency section anyway, plus turns out the plasenta was stuck to the uterine wall. He literally had to scrape it off. He said I would be more brused and it would be a little more painfull because of it. Both he and Kathy did tell me that even if they had found out she was turned and induced me instead and I had a successfull delivery I would have ended up in the OR because of the plecenta. It wouldn't have come off by itself. A little scary actually.

We settled in for the night though and Karrigan was brought back to me. First thing I noticed was she has a stork bite on her forhead (almost faded already) and on the back of her neck. Both normal, I've seen a lot of LO's with them. Then the pediatrition came in to talk to me. Turns out our little peanut has extra vains in her right leg. Looks almost like vericos vains. (sp?) The perdiatrition said it was rare, but normal. They may fade with time, they may end up there forever. I only have to worry if they start to protrude, or bleed, very rare. It doesn't seem to bother her much.

We did start bfing right away. Karrigan wouldn't really latch on, and if I did get her on she wouldn't suck. She just didn't have a stong sucking reflex. Its only really just started in the last day or so. She is not a big eater, she sleeps all the time and we have to wake to feed every time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search