Thomas Raymond

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was scheduled to be induced on 08-07-2008 due to the fact that I was 40 weeks 6 days, and was getting more and more uncomfortable by the day. At the three previous pre-natal visits, all 3 different doctors commented that they thought the baby was "big" and that he/she would be at least as large as our daughter, who was 8 lbs. 5 oz. at birth.

We brought our daughter to grandma & grandpa's house the night before and took our dog to the kennel. Everything was falling into place. Now all we needed was a baby!

On the night before my induction, my water broke at around 2am. I was thrilled because I was not too thrilled at the idea of being induced and had been hoping things would happen naturally. At first I wasn't sure whether it was really my water breaking or whether I had just peed myself a bit! But then when I got up and walked to the kitchen, a GUSH of water went all over the kitchen floor! No question--that was it! Being big and prego and not-so-nimble, I actually slipped and fell while cleaning up my mess! It was quite funny (thankfully I didn't hurt myself!). Within minutes of my water breaking, I felt my first real contraction of my entire pregnancy. It hurt, but I was so excited to have labor starting to happen on its own, naturally.

I decided not to call my doctor because I was due into the hospital at 7:30am anyway, for the induction. The contractions were coming, but they were between 5-10 minutes apart. They were getting stronger and stronger as the hours went by, but I knew they were still not strong enough to be real close. So I just tried to relax at home as best as I could, knowing I was now down the path of no return. I was so excited! At one point Gene (my husband) woke up and I told him my water had broken, but I guess the second time around he realized it still didn't mean I was super close either--he went back to sleep!

At around 7am, we got our things together and headed to the hospital for the induction at 7:30am. I was optimistic that I was actually dilated and had progressed, due to my water breaking on its own and the contractions. When I was first checked, I was 3 cm! This was a big achievement, considering I was pretty much ZERO before that.

I relayed to the nurse and doctor my hesitation with Pitocin. My doctor agreed, but still thought it best to proceed ahead--but with a lower than normal dose of Pitocin. I agreed. The L&D nurse I had was FABULOUS. She was a 20-year "veteran." After a few cycles of contractions and being on the monitors, she had me change positions and lie on my left side. She said the baby's heart-rate was dropping with every contraction. Neither of us were too concerned--I remembered this happening with my daughter, too... She left the room but reminded us she'd be watching the monitor from the desk, etc. After about 2 hours, I opted for the epidural. It went well, although the anesthesiologist did not get there as quickly as I would have liked!

After about an hour on the Pitocin, the nurse and my doctor conferred, and decided to turn it off, due to the baby's heart-rate continuing to drop. So my contractions continued on their own. I could tell they were slowing down. My nurse started coming in at least every 5 minutes to check the monitor and contraction strip, which was my first indication that things weren't going as smoothly as I had hoped.

My nurse said the baby's heart-rate was continuing to drop with every contraction and that it seemed to be getting worse. The baby's heart-rate was 130-140 in between contractions, but was dropping to 80-90 with each contraction. And since the Pitocin had been turned off, I'd only progressed to 4 cm. The nurse commented that, "Things might not go the way you want... I'm pretty worried here and am going to talk to your doctor again." She reassured me that the baby was fine at the moment and that nothing was emergent, but she was worried that the baby would not tolerate the delivery.

My doctor came in and basically reiterated the same thing, that the baby's heart-rate was dropping consistently with each contraction, so they'd turned off the Pitocin. But even without the Pitocin, the heart-rate was still going down AND I was only at 4 cm and had not progressed in almost 2 hours. She gave us two options: 1) Turn the Pitocin back on, hope that I progressed quickly, and that the baby would tolerate the Pitocin better. But if baby's heart-rate continued to drop, an emergent situation could emerge, requiring an emergency c-section. -- OR -- 2) Do the c-section right then, in a controlled, planned environment. We opted for #2. We feel we 100% made the right decision, because the baby actually continued to get worse over the hour or so that transpired before the c-section--and I did not dilate any further, either.

From there things went very quick. I was wheeled to the OR, the epidural block was administered, Gene was allowed to come in and sit with me, and within a few minutes, we heard a cry! Gene leaned over the tent and pro-nounced--"IT'S A BOY!" Then my doctor said, "Oh my. He is a big boy! I think that is the 2nd biggest baby I have EVER delivered!" So I naturally asked her how many babies she'd delivered. Her response was "over 3,000." All the nurses and staff in the OR kept commenting how big our baby was, and wanting the nurse to call back with the weight, since he was being taken upstairs back to my room to be weighed, bathed, etc. My husband went along with the baby. When the nurse called back a few minutes later, everyone was shocked to hear, "Eleven pounds even. Twenty-three inches!" WOW! Our big babe!

He is a beauty though of course. I really don't think he looks that big! He is well proportioned and of course we think he's gorgeous. My doctor commented she'd not seen a baby that big without the mom having gestational diabetes, which I did not have. She said he looked very healthy!

Welcome to the world, Thomas Raymond!!!
Born 08-07-08 at 1:22pm
11 lbs. even
23" tall

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
August 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was waiting to hear this story.... I wanna see pictures now!

August 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations mama, i am soooo thrilled for you! it's sooo cool to have a baby, and spend the first minutes and days getting used to the GENDER, too. way to go, keeping it a surprise, again!

i'm sooo glad you weren't hurt, slipping and falling in the water mess. you scared the crap out of me, when i first read that!

timmy's heartrate kept going down, when i was in labour with him. it's such a scary thing. i'm glad things turned out okay, and the c-section saved the day. boy, you may have been sorry, if you pushed out 11 lb. of baby.

lol, kallie, when i mentioned to my mom that a friend just had an 11 lb. baby, she would not believe me that you didn't have GD. what a surprise! and i thought i had big-for-gestation babies!

i'm glad your son has arrived safely, and you'll be able to get back to yourself now, no more sharing your body, aches and pains, etc. it's such a nice feeling, after all that time.

i hope everyone is adjusting well. enjoy your new little love. can't wait to see his perfect little face. take care, mama, and give emma xoxos from us!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

August 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
aww congrats!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
August 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats mama and thanks for sharing your story!!
August 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
LOL... I still can't believe you managed to grow an 11 POUND baby!! Congrats on his arrival!!

August 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on your big baby once again!

(Not to rain on your parade: But same thing happened with Jordan, his heart rate was over 120 between contractions and would drop to 40 when cx were on!, they obviously got me ready for the c/s but he came while I was on my way for the c/s)

Congratulations! I will remember to post a pic of Jordan when he becomes 11lbs and visualize your baby at borth. Am sure by then yours will be 19lbs or so! (Jordan last weighed 8lbs 10oz at 2 weeks) That's probably what Raymond weighed at 32 weeks of gestation! Enjoy him!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
August 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your BOY I still cannot believe how big he turned out to be! I can't wait to see pictures. I hope you had a big enough outfit to bring him home!

August 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM
JenAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been dying to read your birth story, but for some reason it just hit me last night that I should look in the birth story forum...lol

Congratulations on your big guy!
August 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
congrats on your baby boy!

August 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your "big" boy! Glad everyone is now home & healthy.

Cara's sweethearts
September 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
bump!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search