Tyler Patrick 8/12/08

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A little background info to start--Tyler was in a vertex position late in pregnancy, but at 38 weeks he turned breech. We were scheduled for a version at 38 wks 4 days, and right before they were to begin, the u/s showed that he had flipped yet again and was back head down. There was a med student that was really excited to watch the version, but he left disappointed.

So, we left the hospital that day just hoping that he would stay head down and come during the next week. I had an appt the day before my due date and he was still vertex, but I had not made much progress since the week before. I was a tight 2 cm and not effaced. The doctor stripped my membranes in hopes that it may get things moving for me by the weekend. The rest of the day I was really sore and crampy, and that night I began having contractions about 10 min apart.

The next day, Friday 8/8, was my due date. I had a few contractions that day but nothing major. Then on Saturday I lost my mucus plug, but no contractions. And nothing happened over the next two days either.

Around 12:30 am on Tuesday, 8/12, I was watching the end of the Olympics and started feeling some contractions. I went to sleep and they kept coming all night long, but I was sleepy enough to sleep in between. They were between 7-15 min apart. Toward morning they were getting more painful and difficult to ignore. When I got up at 8 to pee, I felt what I thought could be a leak. But I think it was just the remains of my mucus plug, so I held off on calling the doctor and decided to monitor my contractions instead.

They started becoming more regular throughout the morning, almost 5 min apart. But when I took a bath to relax they really spread out, over 8 min apart. After the bath I decided to get something to eat, relax on the couch and just time contractions, since I knew they would come fast if I was up and moving around. The first hour the contractions were really erratic, but beginning at 2 pm they were consistently coming 5-5.5 min apart. By the end of the hour they were 4 min apart and lasting a minute or more. DH was trying to rub my back the whole time and convinced me to call the doctor. Unfortunately, I was having another back labor, and the pain was getting really intense.

On the 30 min drive to the hospital, I realized the contractions were coming every 3 minutes, but I was nervous that the hospital would send me home like they did with my first son. After being monitored for about an hour, a resident came in to check me. I wanted to kiss her when she said I was 4.5 cm, 90% effaced, -2 station She said she thought I would go quickly, and they would get me to a LDR room immediately.

I moved to LDR 5 around 5:30, and my nurse came in to get things started. I made it clear that I was ready for the epidural ASAP, so she pushed a bag of IV fluids and gave me the Nubain I requested to take the edge off while I waited for anesthesia. It didn't work as wonderfully as it did before--I still felt all of the pain of the contractions, they were just slightly more bearable. It was a good thing I had it because anesthesia had a hard time administering the epi. They said my bones were thick or something like that, so they had to try it a few times in different places. I guess initially I was going to get a combo but ended up with a straight epi. When it was finished I was feeling less pain, but a ton of pelvic pressure.

A couple hours later the doctor came in with a medical student to check me. She said I was 6 cm and asked if I would be okay with the student checking me as well. I didn't mind because I was numb and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. After that she broke my water and hoped that would get things going more quickly. She guessed I would deliver before midnight, and my nurse was betting it would be before the end of her shift at 11 pm. The interesting thing is that this is the same nurse and same doctor that was on duty when Sean was born, so it was like the same team was in place this time

A couple hours later the nurse came in because the baby's heart rate was dropping into the 90's during my contractions. She checked me and I was 8 cm, and she had me turn on my left side. She had been looking at my chart and saw that I delivered Sean in just 15 minutes, and she said it probably wouldn't be long now. She also said it felt like the baby was facing up, so he hadn't turned yet.

Just minutes later the doctor came in to check me, and I was almost fully dilated with just a lip of cervix left. She was trying to turn the baby so he wouldn't come out sunny side up. She also thought I would go very quickly considering my first delivery was so fast. So she had me do a practice push to see if that would get me to a full 10 cm. So I pushed, and I peed everywhere They didn't do a catheter, so it just came out everywhere!

I asked if I could wait until I felt the urge to push, so they said that was fine, and the nurse had me turn onto my right side. I told them I was feeling a ton of pressure in the front of my pelvis, but no rectal pressure like I expected to feel. The doctor said that could still be it and asked me to push again. Right after that, there was a mad rush to get the room ready. She told me she thought that the baby could come right out the next time I pushed! So they quickly broke down the bed, paged another nurse to assist after the birth, and the doctor put on her mask and shield. She said to page the med student because he really wanted to watch my delivery, but they didn't think he'd make it in time

Sure enough, with the next push I felt his head coming out. I pushed a little more and the shoulders came out, and a gush of fluid squirted out as the rest of his body came out, and it hit me right in the face! Thank God I was wearing my glasses, because it would have gone into my eyes, and a little got in my mouth, too. But I was too happy to really be grossed out because as the nurse wiped my face they laid my baby boy on my chest He ended up turning face down right before he was delivered, so his face looked really red and beat up. And the best part is that I didn't tear!!

Tyler Patrick was born at 10:25 pm on 8/12/08 after only 3 pushes! He weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 20 inches long. He looks just like his big brother, and we are all just in love with him

August 16th, 2008, 03:16 AM
JenAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh the emptiness those med students must feel now...j/k!

So happy for you sweetie! Can't wait to see the pics of your little guy with his big brother (who is just adorable by the way, been meaning to tell you that for awhile).

Congratulations!
August 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!!
August 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
LOL... it cracks me up you peed and squirted!!! Yay for a good delivery!! Welcome to the world baby Scott!

August 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Lady Moonlight's Avatar Freddy and Sammy's Mommy
*pops in from the MW Mommies board* What a great story Ranee! I'm really glad everything went well for you, even if the Nubain didn't quite work its magic perfect. WTG!

August 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yay, congrats! Glad he's here!

August 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
congrats!

August 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*KSmittyAU*~
What a great story Ranee!!! Congrats! Welcome Tyler!!!

Thank you Sarah (doremi) for my WONDERFUL siggy!

Kym (26); wife to Brandon(25), Mommy to Carson (2), and a child of GOD
August 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
TFS! YAY for Tyler! Congrats

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
August 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your little boy!! I'm so happy for you that he finally turned, that you didn't tear, and that you got your epi - all things that make L & D that more bearable. How funny that you peed, though...lol.

Cara's sweethearts
September 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
xoxopearlyxoxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xoxopearlyxoxo
That sounds like a good birth to me! Sorry about the accident in your face lol.

Im actually sitting at the hospital working right now and decided it was time to catch up on my birth stories and when i read yours i started laughing and everyone looked at me like i was a crazy woman!

x's 7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search