Alexandria Nicole's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
<div align="center"> Alexandria Nicole's Birth Story </span></div>

Intro to the story: My husband is in the Marines and is stationed in Fl. I am currently living with my mother and little sister until my DH is finished with training. We were planning a homebirth against my mother's wishes.

My surprise baby was due August 12th according to my midwife but according to me I was due on August 13th. Not a big difference. My husband I decided that we were going to have an unassisted homebirth and I started planning accordingly. At 30 weeks I had all of my supplies ready for use. The only thing I had left to do was clean my room and clean out the babyís cradle. Starting at 34 weeks 4 days after my husband I were intimate I felt oddly wet and not with normal fluids from intimacy. At first, I thought my water was leaking. I also began to have contractions. They were about 5-10 minutes apart for an hour and were getting increasingly stronger. After drinking some water, they finally died down and I was able to get some sleep. From that point on I lost bits of my plug until I went into labor. My husband was scared because he really thought it was time.

My mother-in-law decided to plan a baby shower for me although my son was born less than 2 years before. On July 26th at 37 weeks 4 days I had my baby shower. Everything was wonderful and I had a lot of fun. I had no pains or any signs of impending labor. Prior to my baby shower I didnít even have the desire to nest. After my baby shower I went to the mall and walked around a little bit while carrying my 21 (20 months at the time) month old. I didnít know I was going to the mall otherwise I would have been prepared with the stroller since I could no longer carry him in the Mei Tai. Once we got home, I began putting together the double stroller that I got as a baby shower present. I was really excited about that. Then I put my son to bed and went back downstairs to eat some of my grandmotherís homemade banana pudding. I specifically asked her to make it for me days before and just had not gotten around to eating it.

By the time I got into bed it was midnight. I quickly fell asleep but noticed that I was having contractions in my sleep. I could feel them but they didn't wake me. I just felt them in my sleep. I slept fairly well despite the contractions. I awoke at 7:30 AM to my son calling my name. As soon as I walked into his room and picked him up out of his crib, I felt wet. I walked to the bathroom to check and was a little excited that it was lots of mucus and bloody show. I put on a cloth liner and proceeded to make my son breakfast. I decided to take the laptop downstairs with me and my son ate and played all morning while I was on the computer and talking to my best friend and husband. Soon, my best friend asked me to time my contractions so I did, just for her. They were 15 minutes, then 11, then 7, then 6, then 5 minutes apart.

My contractions were coming fast and strong. I continued to labor downstairs without my mother or sister knowing. By 1:30 PM or so my mother found out that I was in labor through my sister. I made the mistake of asking her to find my tennis balls that our dog stole from me so I could put some counter pressure on my back. My mother immediately started calling family members since we only had 1 car at a time and she was hell-bent on taking me to the hospital. I tried to argue with her and reason with her but I just didn't have the energy to do that while in active labor. No one was answering her calls and I didn't care. I wanted to have my baby at home. But soon after rejoicing that no one was answering, my uncle called and said he was on his way over. By the time he got there it was 2 PM and while trying to load everyone in the car and grab a few things that me, my son, and the baby would need (I didnít pack because I was not planning on a hospital birth) I realized that my son's car seat was in my mother's car. So.. My son rode in the infant car seat (so bad I know) to the hospital.

My uncle drove at speeds of 90-100 MPH to get to the hospital which was over 30 miles away. It took us maybe 45 minutes or so to get there. By that time I was in transition and just about ready to have my baby. We arrived at the hospital at about 2:45 PM. By the time that I got to the registration desk ( I did pre-register, just to make my mother happy) I was ready to push. I stood there for about 5 minutes before announcing that I had to push. Thank goodness they only wanted me to sign a few things and they quickly got me a room. When we arrived in the room it was just my mother and I. I had the lights off and it was peaceful but I was quickly pulling off my shorts in order to push. I wanted to push standing/squatting because it was comfortable. My mother ran out of the room and grabbed a nurse who called a midwife in. The nurse tried to check for dilation but couldn't find my cervix. I couldnít find it either when I tried to check a few days prior. She said she thought she may have felt my bag of waters bulging. Then the MW came in and checked me and said that I was 10 and that I could push whenever I felt the urge. Unfortunately she would not let me squat. That made pushing a little difficult but in about 4 pushes my <span style="color:#FF00FF">BABY GIRL
was out! I couldnít believe it was a girl!! She weighed in at 6 lbs 9 oz and was 19 inches long on July 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM. She had a head full of black hair and chubby rosy cheeks.

I was not happy with the way my birth went because I really had my heart set on a homebirth but I am glad my daughter is here now and hopefully the rest of my children will be born at home.

Now here are pictures of her.

An few hours old

11 days old

3 weeks old

August 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm sorry you didn't get the home birth you wanted, but am happy to hear that everything went smoothly. She's beautiful!

August 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
*Luv my kids*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Luv my kids* Send a message via Yahoo to *Luv my kids*
I am sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted. But she is so cute! Congrats!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's adorable... I love her hair!
August 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
iluvgummies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous little girl! Congrats, Mama!

Cara's sweethearts
August 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your baby girl! I can't believe how much hair she has!

Sorry you didn't have a home birth, but at least your time in L&D was super short.

August 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search