Oliver Wilhelm

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oliver was born September 21st at 3:17 PM. He weighed 7 lbs, 15 ozs. 21" long. My water broke at 6AM on Saturday morning as our alarm clock went off. Damon called into work shortly after. I called my mom and she came over around 7:30 AM. We waited until Noon to go in to the hospital and got there by 12:30 PM. My doc was not on call and I had another lady doc from the same practice. She gave me an hour to walk around and see if labor would start. I ended up taking 2 hours and labor had not yet started. I was started on PIT by 5 PM. By 10 PM I got an epidural. I already gave up on the natural thing after getting the PIT. I also knew that after my water broke things most likely would not go as I had hoped for. It was a long night with no sleep. My epidural worked well most of the time but I was feeling contractions on my left side for a lot of the time. They were still managable but hurt. I was fully dialted by around 11 or 12 PM. I can't remember the exact times because I was left for some time before they checked me to make sure I was a 10. I believe I had a small lip in the way that I dialted through once I started pushing or they pushed it with there hands (doc & nurse). My first time pushing I could not get the hang of it because I was numb from the epidural. They ended up turning it down and uping the PIT and left me for an hour or so. I then spend another almost 2 hrs pushing. By this time I could feel a lot of pain. I had not sleep or eaten in way over 24 hrs. I think I pushed total 3 hrs with both times included. We could see his head move down and he was at plus 2 from what I remember. He just would not go under the pubic bone. I felt so defetied(spelling) at this point. I could not believe how long it had all taken, the pain, the exhaustion, everthing was too much to bear. My on call doctor wanted the baby out ASAP because my water had broke way over 24 hrs, I was having a small fever. At one point a vacuum was mentioned but I didn't want to try that. I just said give me a cesection (this was also something the doc mentioned at the same time). I was in tears because of everything I went through and could not believe my body didn't do a better job. I just thought I would have an easier labor & delivery. My mom was with me and got very upset when I said I wanted the c/s. She broke down crying and went out to talk with the doctor. I just was ready to meet Oliver and get past everything I went through. Damon was in agreement with me. I have to say that my mom was great the whole time I was going through everything. Damon stayed in the background. I figured he would be that way which was fine. After giving consent for the c/s I was preped and brought to the operating room. I was in so much pain from all the PIT and my epi was either turned off at the end of pushing or very low. Damon came in right before they started. I always thought I would have a lot of fear and anxiety if I ended up with a c/s. I hate drugs that make my mind feel funny and that was my big fear. I just had them give me the epidural and said no to morphine or anything like it. I felt a lot of tugging and pulling but was fine through the surgery. I held Damon's hand tightly. When we heard Oliver's first cries it was the sweetest sound every. Damon was crying so much and that made me cry too. It seemed like forver before we saw him but our nurse took a couple pictures while they looked him over. I would guess it was ony 5 to 10 mins before they brought Oliver to Damon to be held. I got to give Oliver a quick kiss before he was handed to his Daddy. That is when my tears started. Damon was still crying at this point while holding him. About 5 mins later they wheeled me with Oliver in my arms back to my room to recover for awhile. I cryed my eyes out the whole way. I could not believe how beautiful he was and he was finally in my arms. He was nothing like I pictured him lookng. Way cuter and more perfect than I could ever dream. My mom held him soon after. An hour later we got brought up to our room that we will stay in for the next few days. We leave either Wed. or Thurs. depending on how I feel. I very sore but doing well. I'm taking vicodin for the pain and toradol (which is like a strong motrin or something). I got up today and it is very hard to walk around. I'm just very sore and it hurts. I was told after my c/s that the placement of his head was crooked or something and that it most likely would not have gone under the public bone. He also had a couple bowel movements while in my uterus so it was good we got him out when we did.

I had a whole birth plan and everything went the other way but in the end I'm very happy. I don't feel disappointed in myself. Yes, I would have rather gave birth vaginally but what happened happened. I'm not going to get myself down or upset about it. The important thing as we all know is that I have my healthy beautiful baby boy next to me. Nothing else matters.

September 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry things didn't go the way you planned, Oliver is gorgeous. Congratulations on your littl eman.

It is ok to be sad about the way things happened, if you ever need to pop in to the c/s grief board there are a lot of people who can lend an ear. It is ok to grieve for what you wanted, but didn't get. I am still working through some issues around the birth of my older son, the VBAC helped greatly. My little guy was the best therapy ever!

I am very glad your little boy is here and healthy! Congrats again!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

September 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
KatiesGirls
That sounds a LOT like how things went my first time too! I felt exactly like you described, kinda bummed but looked at it like hey, stuff happens! I'm so glad you got your healthy baby boy! Congrats!
September 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
chellerenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Resi, I just wanted to say Congrats on Oliver again! He is so gorgeous! Sorry you didn't get the birth that you wanted, but like you said, all that matters is that he is here and healthy! I started crying when I read about you and Damon seeing him for the first time. I'm sure that was the sweetest moment ever! Congrats again!

Michelle

September 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Resi! He is beautiful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search