Sawyer Bayne

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I'm taking the opportunity to write this now, because I fear that if I wait any longer it will never get done. Keep in mind that this will be LONG... Ya'll know how I am

Anyway, so yeah... there I was... minding my own business... watching the VP debate on Fox news and wondering how many times I was going to hear the word "Maverick" that evening... when I noticed that I was contracting a little more than usual. Well, true to my nature, I started whining to my mom about Braxton Hicks and what a suck fest they were and all that drama. I even threw in a boo hoo about how Sawyer felt like he was literally CLAWING his way through my cervix etc. etc. After the debate, I went up and took a bath, figuring that maybe the contractions would go away and my poor pubic bone would stop hurting so much. When I got out, I laid in bed and started reading a trashy romance novel and hoped to eventually drift off to sleep.

After about a couple hours though, I was still contracting and I noticed that they were really close together... much more so than I had ever experienced (even during Hurricane Ike) so I was a little disturbed. I decided to go downstairs, walk around and drink so much water that I would be peeing every 5 minutes for the next 6 months. If that didn't stop it, nothing would, darn it! Well... I did that... and it didn't work. In fact, when I was walking around they actually got a little more intense. At this point, my mom is in bed and everyone I know is asleep. I decided to just try to sleep and will them to go away... which they totally didn't. Cut to about 2 am and I'm starting to freak out. I'm attempting to time the contractions with the stop watch on my phone, but it's not working because I couldn't tell when they stopped. I know that sounds stupid, but it's completely true. I couldn't always feel them starting, but they let up slowly and it was hard for me to tell the exact moment they ended and I was getting SO confused. In any case, from what I could tell they were about 5-7 minutes apart and somewhere in the neighborhood of a minute to a minute and a half long.

At this point, I decide that I'm going to have to ask SOMEONE what to do, because I have no idea. I didn't want to wake up my mom (she has terrible insomnia and I hate rousing her when she's actually sleeping) and I sure as heck wasn't going to call my doctor at 2 am over a stupid BH question. So I decide that I'll log on to JM, ask here and hope that someone's on and can give me some wisdom. Well, of course the darn site is DOWN and I can't do crap. Awesome. Amazing. Wonderful. So then I'm almost in a panic because I can't ask anyone and I may actually have to figure out BY MYSELF what to do in this situation. I made one last ditch effort and myspaced Sarah out in Italy because I thought she may be up and able to help. Unfortunately, she wasn't. I found a website at that point that times contractions, so I started doing that and reading a top model recap and just tried to calm down and stop freaking out. After timing for an hour, I looked at the log and realized that my contractions were getting longer and closer together. They were now about 3 minutes apart. I knew at that point that a call to the doc was unavoidable.

So, I call the doc's office and the girl on he phone asks me what the problem is. I tell her I have a question about my Braxton Hicks contractions and she asks "What makes you think they're Braxton Hicks" and I was all "Well... because I'm only 33 weeks, what in he heck else could they be?" and she was like "How far apart are they?" and I'm all "3 - 5 minutes" and she was like "Sounds like labor to me. I don't even know why we're having this conversation. You should be at the hospital. I'll get the doctor on the line for you."

Anyway, so the lovely doc gets on the phone and is like "Contractions 3 minutes apart? Go to the hospital"

I believe in my embarrassed and freaked state I said something to the effect of "Are you freaking serious?"

So yeah, we hung up and at this point... I'm really embarrassed because I'm thinking to myself "Ok, Brie. You have taken drama queen to a new level. You're freaking out over NOTHING and you just woke up your doctor and NOW you have to go the hospital instead of sleeping and it's 4 AM!! Silly, stupid, girl" I really, honestly thought that nothing was wrong and I was about to go to the hospital and make a total jerk out of myself. So I shuffle into my mom's room and wake her up to tell her that I'm going to the hospital. I felt SO bad because she was obviously sleeping really hard and I could tell she didn't totally know what I was telling her. She finally asked if I needed her to drive me and I was all like: "No way, go back to sleep. It's really no big deal. I'm just going to go, it's probably nothing and then I'll be home in a few hours. Don't even worry about it. Just wanted to let you know that I was going." So she sleepily accepted the explanation and I brushed my teeth and left.

Well, about 15 minutes down the road I get a phone call. It's my mom... FREAKING out. Turns out, she was largely asleep when I told her what was happening and by the time she grasped any of it, I was already gone. I pick up the phone and she's like: "Briean!! What are you doing?? WHAT are you DOING? I can't believe you're driving yourself! You could be in labor!" I was still pretty certain that I had been over-reacting about the contractions and was just like "Well, I'm certainly not going to turn around. I'm almost there, I'll call you, it's totally fine."

So I got to the hospital and was whisked into L&D (Boy they hustle when you're preggers, don't they?!). A very nice nurse hooked me up to some monitors, asked me 8 zillion of the most personal questions EVER and then proceeded to tell me that I was definitely having contractions and they were about 3 minutes apart. She didn't seem worried about it at all, but she went off to call my doctor. When she came back, she checked my cervix saying: "You're probably not dilated, but I'm just going to make sure...oh! Well... whoopsie.... Um, yeah you're actually at 2 centimeters and you're about... oh.... 90% effaced."

Blank stare at crazy nurse lady.

I believe my suave retort was (for the second time that night): "Are you freaking serious?"

Thankfully, my mother has impeccable timing and showed up right when I was about to start sputtering nonsense and she started asking some questions that made sense. The little nurse went in and out a few more times and called my doc a bunch more and then finally came in and explained to me that

A. I was being moved into an actual labor room
B. I was going to receive a steroid shot for the baby now and then another in 24 hours
C. That 24 hours was going to be spent in the hospital.
D. They would be putting me on magnesium sulfate to stop my labor.
E. The magnesium sulfate would make me feel like total and complete crap (that's honestly verbatim)

So they move me into my room, hook me up to 80 million machines, I got stabbed a bunch of times and the little nurse tells me it's time for her to go home, but that hopefully she'll see me again in a few weeks when I'm there to have my baby "for real."

Enter new nurse. Groovy gal, but one of those "no nonsense" types. I knew she would loathe me and my inappropriate jokes, but whatevs. By this time, I believe it was around 6 am. I convinced my mom to leave so that she could let my dog out to pee, make arrangements for Cameron (my 11 year old brother) take a shower and all that other fun stuff. So she took off and I was all alone

Interesting that everyone in the world decided to take this moment to scare the living crap out of me.

First, the nurse comes in and tells me that she doesn't care what anyone says. She's looking at my monitor and I am in labor and I need to be prepared to have that baby TODAY. She then tells me that she's notified the correct people to expect a preemie in their midst later that day.

Then, I had an ultrasound... and this was kind of the killer for me. The tech took 8 million measurements, but when she went to measure the head she actually had to put the wand basically inside my vagina to even get a look at the top of it. She said it was because he was so far in the birth canal that she couldn't get it from any other angle. Now, even to someone as clueless as me... that didn't sound good. That sounded to me like he was coming... whether I liked it or not, magnesium sulfate be ######ed.

After she left, my mom called and I pretty much BEGGED her to hurry up and come back. All these people were scaring me and I needed her to put the fear of God in them and make hem stop.

Then, the lovely beacon of light that is my doctor showed up. He told me that Sawyer was measuring more like 35 weeks than almost 34 and that we were going to try to keep him in for 2 more weeks. I was going to be able to go home after my second steroid shot, but I would be on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. He again stressed that ALL efforts were being made to stop my labor and I needed to make it 2 more weeks. I asked him "Honestly, what is the likely-hood of that?" His reply? "Well, it's ok... I mean, it's good! It's kind of good"

"Are you freaking SERIOUS?"

Wonder doc leaves and I decide that it's time to get serious about locating my husband, like YESTERDAY. I have no way of getting in touch with him. His cell is off, he's in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, probably 100 feet underwater digging a TRENCH or something and I need to tell him to come home. I didn't know what to do, so I just called his company office in New Iberia and said "I know this is weird, and I'm sorry, but I need to get in touch with one of your divers." The lady responded "Erm...that's not... I mean, I can't just DO that... what is this regarding?" I told her "I'm the wife of one of your divers, and I am in LABOR and I need him to come home NOW." Man, talk about hustle!! Lady changed her tune immediately and got my name and assured me that she would do everything in her power to find him as quickly as possible. She was true to her word too, because he called me about 30 minutes later asking me what was up. I told him everything I could and asked him to please start making his way home. I told him I didn't think that Sawyer would be born today, but that it would be soon and I needed him to be here. He told me that he would get on a boat as soon as possible.

Over the next hour or so, I was reassured over and over again that the medicine would stop my labor, I would not be giving birth that day and everything would be just fine. Somewhere in my head though, I just didn't believe it. I wanted to, trust me... but I just didn't. Enter new nurse. She was my favorite instantly because she walked in and said "Ok, let's fix that IV! Who did that? Let's get your hair out of your face! Can I get you some ice chips? etc. etc." Awesome. Sauce. Since she was so wonderful, I felt comfortable enough to voice my concerns and ask her if the magnesium was supposed to be weakening my contractions... because it wasn't... and they were starting to hurt. She responded by immediately checking my cervix. She said that while I was only about 3 centimeters dilated, she could feel my water bag and that it was poised to break at really any moment. She told me that she was calling my doc and that we needed a new plan.

She rushed back in a few minutes later and told me I needed to get on the phone with my husband and tell him to hurry home. The new plan was to take me OFF the magnesium and let me go into labor after all... and they had the impression that it would go fairly quickly. OMG. OMG. OMG.

"Are you freaking serious????!!!"

My mom started calling people and telling them that I was in labor after all. My dad, my brother, my best friends etc. My brother came down to the hospital after work to keep me company and I got word that my bestie was on her way. After my brother Parrish got there, they checked me again and when they did, my water broke. Grossest thing that has ever happened to me, hands down. Ew. Ew. Ew. I felt like I was peeing on myself and couldn't stop. It was SO weird! One of the things about labor I had NO CLUE about before hand (because people just didn't think to mention it or something... NOT COOL) was that they put a catheter in at some point... I mean... WHAT? GROSS. I was horrified at even the suggestion and told them I would be "peeing by myself like a big girl thankyouverymuch" but nooooooo... turns out you HAVE to do it and just SUFFER. I absolutely hated that thing. It was the worst part of the whole experience. When my water broke, I felt like that thing had detached or something and I was spilling everywhere. Sorry for the TMI, but it was kind of terrifying and I want someone else to share my "Aaaahh!!" moments.

Shortly after, the phone rings and it's Izy. He was just then getting off his barge and onto the boat that would take him to shore. I knew then that he was never going to make it. Surprisingly, I was really ok with that. There was nothing either of us could do, and I honestly I just felt SO terrible for him that he was going to miss it. He sounded so crestfallen when I told him that my water broke and it just broke my heart. When I hung up with him, I decided that I was going to have the best delivery EVER so that he wouldn't have to worry about anything. Poor guy.

Obviously, after my water broke the contractions got significantly stronger. They told me that I could have the epidural whenever I felt like it, but I decided I wanted to see how long I could hold out and try to experience the non-wussy ones for a bit. When they got bad, I managed to get through them by singing bad 80's songs... Did I mention that no, I had NOT taken a child birth class? No, I had been putting it off like an IDIOT and hadn't done it yet. Mistake, darlings. Mistake. However, I still did fine for an hour or so (I think, time gets a little shady...don't trust me) and then at some point, even the worst of 80's hair bands wasn't helping so I told the awesome nurse that I thought it was time for me to hook me up with an epi.

To me, this was the scariest part about the whole thing. I know that's silly... it is to me... especially because I'm not afraid of needles at ALL. I laugh in the face of every shot, vaccine, whatever that comes my way. I'm not sure why this one scared me so badly. I get super clumsy and talkative when I get nervous, so I started bumbling about who knows what and trying to get into a good position. These poor nurses basically had to move me themselves and smack me to get me to shut up. Before the tech stabbed me, I was shaking SO hard... and then she said I was going to feel a big stick...and then...

"Are you freaking, serious?"

I was afraid of THAT? HA! Pathetic. The stick barely hurt at all and when they injected the meds, I just felt a little pressure and that was it. Lame. People that use the "pain of epidural" excuse to not have one are being a tiny bit silly. I promise ya'll, that little stick was WAY better than those contractions. By like, A LOT.

Anyway, the epi took effect and I didn't know it at the time, but it was really the most perfect it could have possibly been. I could feel my legs just fine and could still lift my hips, move my legs and feet etc. But, I couldn't feel a THING that was going on with my uterus. The lovely nurse checked me again and told me I was at 6 centimeters. By then, my bestie and my SIL had shown up, my mom had been back for a while and my brother was cracking me up. Good times in the L&D! When the nurse came to check again, she told me I was ready to push. WHAT? Que? I wasn't ready to do JACK! In my head, I was only supposed to be 7 or 8 centimeters or so... there was no pushing yet! No freaking WAY. Well, they (and the baby) had other ideas. The room filled with people in seconds, I was given my legs to hold onto and was told to push as hard as I could.

For some reason, at this point the whole dang scenario just struck me as incredibly humorous. I mean, I had come in to the ER only 12 hours before this thinking that I was making a big deal over nothing... and now here I was, about to pop out a baby. I actually drove myself thinking it was no biggie. And that was it... I started to laugh. Everything was funny to me. Wonder doc strode in after a few pushes and said "Do I hear laughing? Are you laughing?"... which to me, made the whole thing even funnier. I had no pain, total control of my lower body and the greatest group of medical personnel ever and I just thought to myself "This is awesome." I told them mid-push that I thought it was really fun "in a weird, twisted sort of way." Since the laughing was apparently helping as much as the pushing, they kept me giggling throughout my delivery. Then all of a sudden, I could really feel him coming out. I felt his little head come loose, his shoulders and then I just felt this Wooosh of pressure and then... he was gone. He started crying immediately and I could see him flailing about getting passed hand to hand. Even in his weird shaped head, covered in muck - like state I was in love with him instantly. He was without a doubt, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my whole life.

Once he was wrapped, they brought him to me so I could see him. My first thought was that he looked JUST like his dad, and my second was that I wanted to punch this person that was about to take him away from me... but off he went. Whisked right into NICU and I wouldn't see him again for several hours.

They told me he weighed 5 lbs, 2 oz and was 18 inches long. Everyone said he was gorgeous. He did NOT have 11 eyes (yay!). I could not have been happier.

So that, my friends is the very long version of how little Sawyer Bayne came into the world. At 33 weeks and 5 days his lungs are still learning to work in the real world, but he is still every bit as wonderful as I imagined he would be.

Yay everything.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

October 5th, 2008, 01:41 AM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What an awesome birth story! You have such a great and positive attitude and I am sure you made your delivery what it was! So many women go in there and concentrate on the hard stuff...but you are such a strong trooper! I however am a wuss and would have been at the hospital with contraction numero uno!

Awesome job Brie!
Suzannah (2.5)

October 5th, 2008, 02:47 AM
LucyRuth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow you are awsome what a brilliant birth story!!! You did fantastic! Congratulations! (Oh and Sawyer was born on my birthday )
October 5th, 2008, 04:27 AM
*Pamela*
You are such an amazing person Brie and that is one birth story that will never be forgotten. Thanks so much for sharing and I can't wait till he gets to come home with his mommy and daddy.
October 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Lv2Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Of course we all knew we could count on you to post a totally rivetting birth story! You have such an adorable baby boy, I hope he's out of NICU and at home w/you & Izy soon
October 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dude you are awsome. I could totally see you laughing through the whole thing! Glad I read it this morning and not last night though, I would have been laughing to much to go to bed lol

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

October 5th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Super Mommy
What a great story. Besides singing you should think about writing. You are very good at it.

So glad daddy made it safely. Sorry he wasn't there at the time. I would like to know why the H311 you got to go and I'm still sitting her fat and miserable? JK! It's wonderful Sawyer (still thinking about stealing his name) came at a time when he was almost ready so you shouldn't have long stuggles in the hospital. I hope you get to bring him home soon.

His picture is beautiful.

Congratulations Izy and Brie!!!!!

Welcome to our world little Sawyer! Becareful it can be scary out here and your mom's a little wacky (but I guess you already new that) LOL
Brennan - 10,
Isabella - 4,
Sophia -3
Cannon Bayne born 11-04-08

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education; they grow there, firm as weeds among stones.
-Charlotte Bronte</span>
</div>
October 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM
my5girls's Avatar Super Mommy
Great job Brie!! You are an inspiration to all the first time mommies out there!! Congrats on your handsome little man!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
October 5th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
<span style="font-family:Verdana">WOW Brie leave it to you to make everyone laugh with your birth story! I can't believe you thought they were braxton hicks and you drove yourself to the hospital.. you crazy crazy girl!! I'm glad Sawyer didn't have 11 eyes!! And I'm pretty sure I would have reacted the same wayif the dr told me to go to hospital, are you freakin serious!! especially when the nurse said you were 2cm dilated and 90% effaced!! haha!! I'm glad the delivery went well! no complications and it was pretty fast!! you give us all hope that it will be like that!! I hope Sawyer can come home soon!! please keep us updated whenever you can!!</span>

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my amazing siggy!

October 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
I always love reading your posts, so I was really looking forward to reading your birth story and of course, it was everything I had hoped for! You're awesome, hun! Congrats on having such a cute little boy! I must say, I am a bit jealous because I cringe at the idea of trying to last six more weeks! haha You're amazing though, and I hope you continue to post in the playroom!
October 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
PaytsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a story!! Happy Birthday Sawyer Bayne!! Welcome to the world! Congrats Brie & Izy!

October 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations, and fun birth story!

I do have one concern. I LOVE the 80s big-hair bands, and I was really hoping to use that method too when labor comes about. I guess I'll have to come up with something else - doesn't sound like it works very well

October 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
crazy girl. you know I love ya!

oh yeah! one thing she forgot to mention is how much she has complained, and how miserable she has been because she never packed her bag! so get to packing girls!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

October 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That by far has to be the funniest birth story i have ever read. Congrats to Izy and Brie and welcome baby Sawyer!

October 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think he looks just like his Daddy too
One of the best birth stories I have EVER read. That's awesome. Congrats girl I hope I enjoy mine HALF as much!

October 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I have to admit... I very, very rarely read long posts, but yours had me captivated from start to finish! Dh even read some of it to see why the heck I was laughing so hard. You're one funny chick, ya know it? CONGRATS!
October 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
YOU are HYSTERICAL! Bless you and that little one and your poor DH who had to miss it! I'm the same kind of idiot when it comes to stuff like this. I drove myself to the hospital with a fish allergy and went into anaphyactic shock... I literally drove there, parked, paused to say "hi" to triage and they rushed me straight back to a room where I promptly blacked out (probably less than 3 minutes after parking my car). And I had left the house where there was a perfectly healthy boyfriend who could have driven me right there. Sometimes we try so hard to NOT be drama queens that we are really stupid about the times when we really should be saying, "uh... help me?" LOL

But truth be told, if I had waited for the boyfriend and daughter to be ready, or called 911 and waited for an ambulance, I probably would not have made it. As it was, I drove STRAIGHT there through the red lights and woke up later to the docs saying they thought they were going to lose me. Crazy crap. Next time don't think of yourself as a drama queen, silly!! Clearly you are not one, though you are one hilarious, independent and powerful woman!! :-) Congrats to your whole family!!

Thanks to I♥mybabyboy08 for the awesome Siggy!!

October 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a wonderful story! Congrats on your beautiful baby boy!
October 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wonderful birth story Brie! Your awesome sauce sense of humor and general positive outlook on life will definitely make you an awesome sauce mama! Yep, I'm freakin serious. I can't wait to see more pics of Sawyer. The one Ginni posted is not enough. Congrats to you and Izzy.

October 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, thank you for sharing your birth story. Since this is my first as well, I am very scared and worried about labor and delivery but you gave me hope that it won't be That bad! Congratulations again !!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search