Teagan's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Teagan Claire’s birth story---VERY long

10-14-08 @ 12:42pm
6lbs 12 oz, 19 ½ in

Well, you all know that I have had blood pressure problems. I had chronic hypertension and Pre- eclampsia as well. My due date was Oct 31st, but my Dr was planning on inducing at 38 weeks since my BP was getting higher and it was dangerous for me and for baby. I was in and out of the hospital the weekend of October 11th-12th. I went for a Dr’s appt at 1:30pm on Monday and my BP was higher and there was more protein in my urine so I was sent to the hospital to start induction.

I got my first dose of Cervadil (the medicine to thin out and soften the cervix) at about 5pm and the second at about 9pm and then they started the Pitocin… I was having contractions every couple of minutes. After getting a shot of some pain meds I tried to sleep and let the drugs work their magic. The next morning, after a sleepless night, I was in horrible pain. I continued contracting and prayed that I was dilating. My Dr came in around 10am and despite all the painful contractions my cervix had barely changed AT ALL. When she checked me the Dr said there was something “funky” going on because she could not get to the baby’s head. Her heart rate was still good and she did not seem to be in distress, but the Dr knew something was not right. She mentioned a c-section. DH and I both wanted to avoid this, but after 12+ hours of labor I was not changing. My Dr said that we could keep going for 2-3 days if we wanted to, but I was exhausted and I just KNEW that this baby was not coming.

Then my BP suddenly went up to 199/106. My Dr immediately gave me Magnesium which made me feel terrible. They had to give me a catheter because of the Mag. That was TORTURE!!! I had to pee SOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad and I was having horribly painful contractions and they were putting in a catheter!! I was in tears.

Then they came in and took me to the OR. I was a nervous wreck by this time. The spinal was probably the least eventful part of the delivery. I was very scared about the needle in my back, but it did not bother me at all and it was over in a few seconds. The meds were making me sick and I needed to throw up, but I could not feel my stomach so I was just gagging…that was not fun. They brought DH in and he was holding my hand. All of the sudden the Anesthesiologist grabbed DH by the shoulder and lifted him off the stool and shoved him over the curtain so he could see Teagan when she came out!! I kept looking at this face to see if he was going to pass out 

Once she was out they took DH over to her and he was with her for about 2 hours after. While they were sewing me up and DH was headed out of the OR to the nursery with Teagan in his arms he came over to show her to me…and I threw up….The Dr said that there was no way I could have had her vaginally because the middle of my pelvis was so small and her head was wedged in there at an angle somehow. She had to use forceps to get her out and she had little bruises on her head and one on her leg. That is why she could not get to her when she checked me earlier.

I was in the recovery room and DH came in with the video camera and showed me video of her being given her first bath and being measured and weighed.

Well, after she was born the real fun began. I could not get out of bed because I had to be on Mag for 24 hours after the delivery and I still had the Catheter. I felt so crappy from all the drugs (especially the Mag). The next day when I got off the Mag I was moved to the post partum hall and was able to get up. My BP was ridiculously high…like 200’s/110’s. I had to stay in the hospital a few extra days because it was not going down. Finally they doubled the meds I was on during my pregnancy and said that it could take 2 weeks- a few months for my BP to stabilize.

I went home on Sunday and on Monday evening I got really sick with hot flashes, dizziness, ect so I took my BP and it was 202/115. DH took me to the ER and they gave me 4 doses of something to make it come down but it didn’t work so they gave me a different medicine that made it drop REALLY low and REALLY fast. I went home feeling horrible and at about 4:30am I woke up with an unbearable headache. Tylenol did not help and I was really dizzy. My BP was 197/107. I called the on-call Dr and she yelled at me and asked why I was taking my BP at 4:30am. She told me to go to sleep and see my Dr the next day. The next morning I called to make an appt, but my Dr was in surgery all day so I went in to see a different Dr who increased the diuretic they gave me and sent me home.

Around 5pm I got really sick again and I called DH to come home right away. When he got here I was laying on the couch, barely able to move. He took my BP and called MY dr and explained that nothing was working and I needed help. She immediately started the paperwork to admit me and DH took me to the hospital. Over the next couple of days while I was in the hospital my Dr adjusted my BP meds and called in a Cardiologist to add to my “team.” They ran different tests on my heart and did lots of blood work and said that everything was fine.

Now I am on 4 different BP meds and it is FINALLY coming down a little. I still have to see my Dr and my Cardiologist once a week for now. I can not breastfeed, which I am devastated about, because of all the meds.

As far as recovering from the C-section, I feel really good. This scary situation with my BP has made everything else seem easy!!

Teagan is perfect. She is a great baby and I am so blessed to have her. DH has been beyond amazing and more supportive than I could have ever imagined. He stayed with me in hospital. I was so scared because my BP just kept going up and nothing was working. I also had a very, very hard time being away from my baby through all of this. I was just too sick to take care of her for awhile. I could not have gotten through all of this without my mother!! She brought the baby to the hospital everyday, all day so I could be with her and then took her home at night and took care of her.
…..so that is my VERY LONG birth story 

October 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
i am so happy for you that she is home and you are home and everyone is healthy!

October 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so happy that your very long journey is finally over. You can now spend time with your beautiful little girl!

Congrats Melinda!

MEG, mama to Blake (11/18/08) and Hudson (08/11/10)

October 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM
sunshyne57's Avatar ~Angela~
I'm so sorry you had such problems with your blood pressure....hopefully it will continue to come down and stay down! I'm glad that you're finally able to be at home with your precious little girl. Congrats again Melinda!!
October 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
iheartaddi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad that this ordeal is finally over for you and you're getting to be at home with Teagan!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search