Violette JoAnn 10-20-08

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to the hospital on Friday to be induced, but after my doctor did an amnio they discovered that her little lungs were transitional (not immature, but not mature either). So they sent me home Saturday and had me come in Monday at 8am. I spent the weekend on bed rest completely impatient, but excited.

On Monday at 7am my mom came and picked me and Avis up and headed to the hospital. Once I got there they had me change into the hospital gown and started monitoring Violette's heart rate. Her heart rate was super high and they were concerned about the accelerations. So, they gave me two bags of IV fluids hoping that I was just dehydrated... Luckily that was the case.

They gave me a pill called cervadil to loosen and soften my cervix at 9am. For the next four hours I walked the hospital corridors hoping to get things going as much as possible. At two pm when Debbie (my midwife) came in she decided that since I was only at 3 cm and pretty high still to just give me one more round of cervadil. The pill takes four hours to have the full effect so that pushed my water breaking until about 7pm. From two pm until 7pm I walked the hospital like a crazy woman trying to get Violette to drop down and engage. I was getting worried that nothing was going to happen at this point and I was feeling incredibly irritated and impatient.

At 7 pm the nurses got a call from Debbie saying that she wouldnt be able to make it to break my water until 8pm and to just start the pitocin. I was on pitocin for an hour and watched TV and tried to think positive thoughts.

Finally at 8pm Debbie came in and broke my water and the you-know-what hit the fan. I was only 3cm dialated and for the next hour and a half I had constant contractions with no relief. I was asked how far apart my contractions were and they were literally CONSTANT. It was intimidating but also kinda fun. I sat in the recliner and just rocked through the contractions saying to myself "open, open, open!" LOL I was trying to visualize that these contractions were not for nothing, they were dilating my cervix!

At 9:30 I was given my lovely epidural. I was shocked at how fast the anesthesiologist got there! There was an emergency c-section down the hall and instead of going straight to that he came in on accident to my room first! The epidural was painless and I was so comforted and calm once it was over.

About 5 minutes later I told the nurse that I was starting to feel random pressure "down there". She checked me and I was already at 6-7 centimeters. So she called the doctor to come and checked me 5 minutes later when I told her that the pressure was not letting up. By 9:45 I was at 10 centimeters and working hard NOT to push because my doctor was not there yet.

The nurses came in and set up the room for delivery and within 5 minutes my doctor was there. She checked me and sure enough I was ready. Debbie got really concerned because my contractions were decellerating Violette's heart rate and her head was getting compressed with each contraction.

She had me start pushing before I was ready to urge push because of the decellerations. I pushed for about 10 minutes with no effect. My body just wasnt ready yet. Finally I pushed and she came out at 10:33 pm. She was born face up instead of face down.

Debbie flopped her on my chest and the nurse immediately started suctioning out her mouth and nose. Violette was struggling to breathe normally and her little nostrils were flaring like crazy. It took her quite awhile to cry, but finally she let out a big ol wail!

Debbie clamped her cord and Brian cut through it. I was holding Violette's little hands and toes and taking tons of pictures! They took her over and measured her and cleared out her lungs more. They had to stick a tube down her throat to suck out more gunk because she was still struggling with transitioning into breathing.

Finally, they brought her back to me and told me that they were not going to bathe her or dress her because the stress would make her breathing more difficult.

My mom, Dad and Avis came up and Avis got to meet her new little sister for the very first time. Avis gave her tons and tons of kisses and wanted to hold her.

I am doing great. I had the easiest labor with no tearing or pain whatsoever. My recovery has been perfect since there was very little to recover from.

Brian and I are enjoying are time at home with our girls and loving every minute with them. We worked out a really good routine already and Avis is loving the extra time with her daddy.

Violette is a perfect baby. She loves to eat, loves to be cuddled, and only cries when she is hungry or being changed. She really hates having her diaper changed because its COLD So far she sleeps almost all the way through the night. I wake her up every morning at 5am to eat, but then she goes back to sleep until 9am or so.

Avis has adapted so smoothly to having a new sister. She learned that she can touch her sister as often and as much as she likes as long as she uses gentle hands. We dont care if she touches her eyes, her nose, or even her mouth as long as she does it really lightly. Avis enjoys the freedom she has to love her little sister as well as the positive reinforcement that she is given instead of negative. We work really hard to include Avis in everything that we do with Violette. For example, when I am changing Violette's diaper we put Avis on the changing table in a sitting position, then put Violette between Avis' legs. Avis will hand me the wipes, and hold Violette's hands when she cries. When Violette does cry Avis yells "KI-KI" and runs to get Violette a binky to make her feel better. When Avis wants to hold Violette she says "ni-night?" and holds out her arms. When I am nursing Violette I hold Avis on my lap and we read a book.

Overall this whole transition has been wonderful. We love having another daughter and building that bond with our girls. Brian comes home from work and plays with Avis, then a few hours later we switch and I play with Avis while he loves on Violette. All day long the girls kinda play together so that seperation at night is good...

Violette JoAnn
October 20th, 2008
8 lbs 14 oz
20.5 inches long

At two weeks old she is back to her birth weight, and is TWENTY-TWO inches long already!! I figure that she didnt actually grow an inch and a half in two weeks, but that one of the nurses was just off a little bit...but still she is so long

I want to thank everyone at JM for their support and advice during this pregnancy. I truly am not a good pregnant person I just dont feel good at all when I am pregnant. Without all of you I would have gone insane!
Suzannah (2.5)

November 3rd, 2008, 01:31 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Thank you so much for sharing. I love reading birth stories. Sounds like everything went pretty smooth for you! She is beautiful.

November 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I'm glad avis is doing so well! it's a little scary to bring home the new little one because you never know how the others will act.

Congrats!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

November 3rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
aletas2boys's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations on your little girl. It seems like you have a wonderful family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search