Madelyn Anne

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
Birth Story for Madelyn Anne

Time: 12:35am
Date: Monday, November 3rd
Gestational Age: 37wk 2days
Type Of Birth: C-Section
Time At Hospital: 6pm on Sun. 11/2 - 11am on Thurs 11/6

Pretty much all of my recent JM posts dealt with the topic of me being frustrated that I was constantly having contractions, but not progressing. My lack of progression meant my scheduled c-section would stay scheduled for 39 weeks. My last regular OB check-up was on Friday, 10/31 and I left the office sobbing because all of the pain I was having wasn’t changing my cervix, so it was all for nothing, My due date was 11/22 and my c-section was scheduled for 11/14.

On Sunday I was feeling kind of “off” all day, but I figured it was nothing. I went to breakfast with my cousin and uncle, then went shopping, and then went home to get some grading done. I had a craving for some Giant brand chicken noodle soup, so I went to the grocery store. As I was walking down the aisles, I noticed that my contractions were getting closer together. I ignored his for about an hour because lately my body likes to play mind games with me. After an hour though, they remained strong, so I called the office and they had the on-call OB give me a call. She said that it was probably nothing to worry about, since I had just been seen on Friday, but she said I should go into Labor & Delivery just incase to get looked at since I was 37 weeks along.

I didn’t grab anything from home because I refused to get my hopes up yet again. My DH was at work, so I went alone. They hooked me up to a monitor and I texted DH to let him know I’d probably end up getting some IV fluids and going home. My sister came to sit with me because of how bored I would get alone. The first two hours my contractions were regular, but not getting any stronger or closer together. The L&D nurse came in and checked my cervix – no more dilation, but I had changed to about 80% effaced. My on-call OB had to come into the hospital because another woman was getting ready to deliver (yes, I was jealous) so she told the L&D nurse that she would check me herself when she got there. When she got there, she looked at my monitor and said that she had to go perform a c-section and I should stay there in triage until she finished and she would check me again… I decided sure, why not?

Well, as I’m joking around with my sister passing time, my contractions start to get stronger… closer together… I started to notice that I couldn’t talk through the contractions any more. They were hitting over 100+ and I started getting really bad pains in my back. Needless to say, by the time my OB had finished the c-section, they started to prep for mine!!!! She walked into my triage room, looked at my contractions, and said, “No question that you’re in labor so I’m not going to put you through another internal exam. Lets have this baby tonight!” I was in such shock! I couldn’t believe e it! I had my sister call my husband and tell him that he needed to come to the hospital because Madelyn was coming that night.

It was 10pm at that point and I was hoping that Madelyn would be born on November 2nd but they hadn’t sent my bloodwork yet, so I knew that she would be born on the 3rd. The triage nurse shaved me, got all of my information, and gave my DH his paper scrubs. The anesthesiologist came in to discuss the spinal with me and DH didn’t like him at all – he thought the dr was rude, but I was so excited to see Madelyn that I didn’t notice his rudeness. We all walked down to the OR together. When we reached the OR, it was freezing cold and they had me sit on the operating table. My OB, the assisting OB, the two triage nurses, and the anesthesiologist were all running around getting stuff together.

They had me sit on the edge of the operating table and hunch over as the anesthesiologist found the right spot in my spine for the spinal block. The anesthesiologist joked around saying that I was the first patient he had seen all day whose backbone was actually visible, which made his job easier. He said the other c-sections that day had been for women more than double my size My OB’s response was, “Well not everyone can be 5’2 and weigh 113 pounds at full-term” lol Honestly, I braced myself for the spinal to be severe pain, but was relieved when it ended up being not bad at all! My DH was allowed The doctors had to swing my legs around and onto the operating table for me and they put in the catheter and starting asking if I could feel them pinching. After I was good and numb, the OB finally began cutting. It didn’t take long before I heard Madelyn cry and the OB said “Wow, she’s a big girl for a woman your size! And look at all that hair!” I was SOOOO excited!! I had hoped our little girl would have hair!! I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly they let me hold her right there in the OR! I was really happy to hear that her APGAR scores were an 8 and a 9. My DH went with the nurse when they went to clean Madelyn up. The only hard part for me was how long it took them to sew me up afterwards because I didn’t have anything to distract me… I was just laying there trying really hard not to think about how on tthe other side of this blue curtain I was cut open on an operating table!

I got a little bit panicky at one point because I heard the doctors talking about my bladder and fluid. I asked what was going on and they told me that they were just checking to make sure my bladder hadn’t accidentally been cut or damaged because they noticed some fluids. Of course I pictured my bladder having a huge gash in it and leaking urine into my stomach – so I freaked out and asked if they could get my husband back. One of the nurses went to the recovery room and brought John back to sit with me again. I felt a little guilty for leaving Madelyn with the nurses in recovery and having John come back with me, but at the same time, I was really scared. Turned out that the fluid was just some amniotic fluid, but my catheter was blue for the first few hours because of whatever they filled my bladder with to check for leaks.

After a short stay in recovery, where they closely monitored my vitals and Madelyn’s vitals, we were taken to our mother/baby suite. We got to our room around 3:30am. Luckily the wing wasn’t full when I was put into a room and we got a nice room with a good outside view. DH was so exhausted that he fell asleep right away on the pull-out couch. I don’t know if it was the excitement or the discomfort, but I was unable to sleep. I find myself spending a lot of time just looking at her… I just love our little princess! Now I know why women put themselves through all of the pregnancy crap…
November 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Congrats! It is so exciting you got to have her before you were scheduled. She is beautiful

November 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
how exciting! congrats and thanks for sharing

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

November 7th, 2008, 08:38 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOW! Congrats i cant wait to see pictures of her How much did she weigh and how long was she?
Suzannah (2.5)

November 8th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!! Glad everythign went well!
November 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
sunshyne57's Avatar ~Angela~
Congratulations on your little girl! I hope you are recovering well
November 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
cadjma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to cadjma
WOw, how exciting! Congratulations! How much did she weigh?

Maile 10/22/04 Aubrie 11/03/08 Gabbie 08/28/10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search