Donovan Does it HIS Way

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
As many of you know, on Tuesday (it's after midnight as I post so now it's Wednesday), I had an amniocentesis done to check for fetal lung maturity. The plan was if either the test came back with good numbers or if it showed there were any signs of infection, my doctor was going to induce me. If neither of those were apparent, induction would be on Friday. Donovan, though, had other plans.

I had been having some minor contractions here and there on Tuesday, but the nurses and doctors were calling it irritability of the uterus. I did some breathing exercises while awaiting word from my doctor on whether or not he would induce around 5 P.M. We were waiting for the lab results to come back.

Around 4:30 P.M., I was having some contractions that felt a little stronger than all the ones I had experienced but not painful enough for me to realize that maybe this was labor. With this fibroid, I have had crippling periods to the point of not being able to move the majority of the day. Those contractions didn't even come close, but they weren't something I could ignore. I would moan quietly to myself and curl up on the bed. Had I been thinking, I would have called the nurse to report the changes to my regular routine.

My nurse checked on me at some point and decided that what I thought were minor contractions were something that the resident needed to be aware of. (I am at the med center, so there are a lot of students and residents here.) I called Chris to tell him that maybe he should come up because I wanted comfort. He was at home because I am very practical and had told him there was no sense in him wasting a day waiting to hear if we were going to induce or not. (He spent the day cleaning the house and steam cleaning the nursery.) I called to tell him I was having some contractions that were strong, and the minute he heard me moan into the phone during a contraction, he was running for the car.

I called my best friend and told her what was happening. She asked if I needed her to be here. I know she does not like hospital situations, but I was looking for all the comfort and support I could get and said yes. Plus, she's BTDT with three kids and all were med-free meditation/visualization deliveries. She told me she was running home to change and would be here ASAP.

Next thing I know, the resident is checking me, and I was dilated to 7 cm. Hurt like hell during that exam. He says he feels the head lower than the last time he checked me (when my water broke on Sunday). Contractions started to get a little more intense, and by 5:00 P.M., I was checked again by the chief resident, and she reported I was dilated to 8 cm.

My regular doctor was here overseeing all the residents, and at one point, there were three residents, a med student, and three nurses in this room. I kept pulling my gown down after I was examined because I am terribly modest. People always said modesty would go out the window when I delivered, and they were right. Eventually, I didn't care who saw my pikachu.

The resident attached one of those fetal monitors to Donovan's head. Somehow it came loose during a contraction and had to be reattached. Unfortunately, he had his hand up there attaching it while I had a contraction. That was very uncomfortable.

Within the next fifteen minutes, I dilated to 9 cm. My main doctor who was still in the room had me bear down a few times during contractions to make the last bit of my cervix efface. Everything was moving very quickly, and my pain ramped up exponentially. He then looked at me and said, "Do you still want to try this medicine-free or do you want an epidural?" I honestly had every intention of going medication free during my delivery, but I had been here so long and endured so much prior to going into labor that I completely caved when my doctor asked me if I wanted an epidural. Chris was here within record time, but he wasn't here to make sure I used our preplanned code word for pain meds. Although the staff did inform him that I had indeed said it.

The first thing I did when Chris walked into the room was, "I blueberried." Blueberry was our code word for pain medication.

The epidural was quite strange, too. The anesthesiologists had to wait. At this point, they easily brought the room total to ten not counting me. There were some issues with decelerations of Donovan's heart, and I was flipped from side to side repeatedly to increase it and given an oxygen mask. The anesthesiologist was too short to reach me. She told me to sit on the edge of the bed, lean over, and arch my back while my feet were on a chair. I was in the middle of some painful contractions and asked if I could sit up once the contraction was over. I popped upright as soon as the contraction was done and said, "Let's do this," much to everyone's surprise. Since I am short, I couldn't scoot back to the side of the bed where she stood.

Since there were more decelerations, the doctors asked her if she could do the epidural with me laying on my side. She could, but she had to work between my contractions. At one point, she was in the middle of threading the catheter when I contracted. Naturally, I straightened my back, and she gently told me I still needed to be arched. It took all my strength to stay arched during that contraction.

After the epidural, my best friend arrived. She stayed by my head and talked me through the rest breathing. Chris had one leg hoisted in the air, and my nurse had the other. Everything went so fast after that with pushing. I recall the doctor saying Donovan had crowned and asking if I wanted to touch his head. It was amazing to feel it and know he was so close. It gave me the mental strength to press on.

After several rounds of pushing, Donovan came out, and I heard Chris gasp. It wasn't until after that I learned he gasped because the cord was wrapped around Donovan's neck twice (explains the deceleration they saw). The doctor quickly slid him out and got the cord removed. Next thing I heard was Donovan wailing at the top of his lungs. I was propped up and got see to my son kicking his legs, flailing his arms, and yelling like there was no tomorrow. The NICU people rushed him to the room off of this one, did his APGAR (8 then a 9), cleaned him up, checked him, swaddled him, and gave him back to me to hold for a few minutes before they whisked him to NICU.

The ordeal was expelling the placenta. Due to the fibroid, it was very hard to remove. The resident doctor who delivered my baby actually had her entire hand in my uterus at one point while her other hand was massaging my abdomen. Even my main OB, who oversaw everything, stuck his hand in there to loosen things. The resident ended up having to work the placenta so much that she was a hand span away from laying directly across my abdomen. I ended up with a small internal tear that required only one stitch.

Donovan weighed in at 4 pounds and 4 ounces. He is 18.5 inches long. I find him to be amazing and worth the experience.

November 12th, 2008, 02:11 AM
ally&bub's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He really is amazing! Gosh, I am in tears again - all these birth stories!

Congratulations, he looks AWESOME! I am so happy that he is here and doing so well. Well done!
November 12th, 2008, 03:45 AM
ravenlynne's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations!

<div align="center">

</div>
November 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!
November 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM
mishymama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you!
November 12th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Tash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Tash
Thanks for sharing your story! It sounds like things went pretty smoothly, and is APGARS were great! What did his gestational age end up being?

Congrats, I hope you are recovering well!
November 12th, 2008, 06:29 AM
dotcomdiva's Avatar Veteran
Congrats to the new family -- what a wonderful story with a happy ending!

November 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
JennyluvsDilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing! Congratulations mama!

November 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing, it sounds like the birth went very smoothly. Congratulations!

Expecting baby #4!

November 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
AMAZING!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

November 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Quote:
What did his gestational age end up being?[/b]
33 weeks and 4 days.

November 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Christy72
Congrats!!
November 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that little man sure wasn't staying in there any longer huh?! and good thing for that! I'm glad all is well and enjoy your baby boy!!!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

November 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is an amazing story, so glad he is finally here and doing so well! congrats
November 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
You did great! He is adorable! Congratulations!!!

November 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He was just chomping at the bit to get out huh? I'm glad he is doing so well! Congratulations!

November 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Christy72
Congrats!!
November 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awwww, what a beautiful story. Congrats on Donovan's arrival!!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

November 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM
punktart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulaions! Those little boys just have minds of their owns. Glad everyone is doing well.

November 26th, 2008, 07:50 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Glad your both doing well now! Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search