Natalie Hope

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This pregnancy had been kinda crazy at the end. I ended up having gestational diabetes and getting put on insulin. I was having occassional high blood pressure readings, which I had not had with my other pregnancies. Then we waited to set the c/s and when the doc and I decided on a date we find out it had gotten scheduled back in July for Nov 3rd, not sure where that date came from, lol! So we change it to the date we had originally decided on which was Nov 7th. Then at my 37 week check up my blood pressure is up again, so they have me lie down and check it again and it's up a bit more so they order blood work and tell me they figure it will be fine since I didn't have protein in my urine. I schedule one more appt for the next week and go home. Later I realize that I missed a call from the docs office. They closed at 4:30 and they called at 6:30 so I knew something had to be going on with my bloodwork. They left a message for me to call the next morning. I call and the nurse tells me the bloodwork is ok but some levels are low so the doc wants me to come the next day(Thurs) so they can check my bloodwork and she will decide then if we need to deliver early. I half expected that she would want to move the c/s up just because everything else had been so different with this pregnancy. Except for my first, I've always made to my due date or induction-c/s date so I figured that since other things had been different then this would too. And I was right. My bp was up a little again and my platlets and something else were a little low so she was worried that I might be starting to develop pre eclampsia. She thought my bp would continue to stay elevated or get worse so she suggested we do the c/s the next day. She gave me a few minutes to call dh and discuss it with him and we both felt we should follow my docs advice.

So the next morning, we head to the hospital super early to be there at 5:30am. They have me sign a few papers and take me back to a room. I put a gown on and they give me some nasty stuff to drink to reduce stomach acid, shave my belly and ask me a bunch of questions, put my IV in and draw blood. The IV was good because the nurse numbed the area first and she got it on the first try! Some have had a hard time getting it in before so I dread the IV but this one was good for an IV. They asked if I wanted to wait until I had the spinal in before doing the catheter and I did! That was also nice because before they have done that before the spinal and while it wasn't awful, it's not the most pleasant experience. They checked my sugar and for some reason it was a little elevated, it had been good earlier when I checked it and I had a couple slightly high bp readings that they were a little concerned about. I think they pretty much had everything done a bit before 7, so while I was getting fluids we rested and waited until it was time for my c/s at 7:30. The anesthia nurse came in at some point to go over the spinal info and it ended up being close to 8 before they took me to the OR because the anestheologist was running late or something. But they get me back there and do the spinal which wasn't bad at all. They lay me down and put the catheter in and start getting everything ready. The anesthesia nurse was really sweet and was talking to me while they were getting things ready before Phillip could come back. I think she may have been the one that was with me when I had Nathan but I'm not sure, I just remember having a very nice nurse that time too. She was comforting the whole time. Once they made sure I was good and numb they had Phillip come back and they got started! The nurse was letting me know what was going on and all and I didn't feel anything until they started to get her out and then they had to really push to get her out!!! I don't remember them having to do that with Eli or Nathan. They were right under my ribs and kinda rocking me. It didn't hurt or anything but felt strange and I did feel the pressure. At 8:12am Natalie Hope was born, crying right away. It seems like she wasn't too happy to leave her snug warm area in there, lol! She fussed the whole time in the OR while they were checking her over. Her apgars were 9/9 and weighed 7lb 14oz and was 19 3/4 in long! She has a head full of dark hair.

She had to stay in recovery for several hours and I only got to see her for a few minutes in recovery because she was grunting and working a bit to breathe. They said she had a bit of fluid in her lungs which is common for c/s babies. Her oxygen levels were good and she was doing fine but they wanted to monitor her a bit just to make sure all was well. Her sugar levels and everything else was great. So far she has been a very easy and content baby! She's the sweetest little thing and the kids are crazy about her. We are so very happy!

When the nurses brought her to me they had put a litte bow in her hair.

November 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
she's tiny compared to nathan! I'm sure she seems so little to you

congrats, she's gorgeous!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

November 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Lv2Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the bow - it looks great w/all that hair! I wish they had given me the option of waiting for my catheter until after my spinal b/c it was awful having it done first!!! She's beautiful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search