Caleb Rylan

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Lv2Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's only been a week and I've been meaning to get around to Rylan's birth story, but never seem to find the time. I figure I better do it before I forget altogether.

My c-section was scheduled for Monday, November 10, 2008 at 8am. I was really hoping that I'd go into labor a bit early, but seeing as how after four pregnancies, I've NEVER fully gone into labor on my own, I didn't really expect to this time either. Sunday evening I dropped all the girls off at my Mom's house where they were spending the night and went home to finish up all my last minute packing, cleaning, etc... I was so excited and barely slept a wink that night. I got up Monday morning around 3:30am b/c I just couldn't sleep and figured I'd go ahead and shower, etc...

We finally got everything all packed into the car and headed out around 5:15am, right after DH said a prayer for safety, good health, etc... I checked into the hospital right on the dot at 6am and then after the nurse took us to our room, all the fun prep work began. I got into my lovely gown, and got hooked up to all the monitors. The nurse had a hard time doing my IV so I ended up w/it on the top of my hand, instead of in my arme where I would've preferred, but oh well. I answered a million questions, and then the anesthesiologist came in and asked a million more One thing they did differently this time from all my other surgeries was inserting the catheter BEFORE I had my spinal! So completely NOT cool!!! I hate catheters, and it hurt so bad after she inserted it that I called the nurse back in to make sure that that was normal - apparently it is, I've just never had to feel it before b/c the other nurses were nice & gave me drugs FIRST! IMO, that should be standard practice.

I was really very nervous w/this being my fourth c-section. The internet can be such a great tool sometimes, but other times, not so much. I'd read a lot about the dangers of repeat sections and how the scar tissue can cause excess bleeding, etc... Really, I shouldn't google such things and read them, but alas, I already had. DH was great at calming my fears, and finally Dr. Smith came in and said we were all ready. He's such a fantastic doctor, I absolutely love him! He delivered DD3 for us, and I was adamant about him being the one doing the section - I even changed my dates just so he could be the one to deliver. So, the nurse brought DH his lovely paper clothing to put on and they wheeled me off the to OR. Thankfully, it was only a few minutes before they got my spinal done and the blissful numbness took over B) . DH came in, and they started with all the hustle & bustle of the operation room. It was really funny b/c they had some satellite radio station playing and we were cracking up at some of the songs. Dr. Smith started the surgery at 7:55am and DH & I were just talking, etc... expecting it to take awhile b/c of scar tissue, etc... so we were really surprised when he said to DH "You might want to get those camera's ready - I already have his head out!" Of course, he's trying to snap still shots and video at the same time and a few seconds later I heard that beautiful first cry! I swear, no matter how many time you hear that, it's just so stinkin' special and melts your heart! DH & I were cracking up b/c right as Rylan was delivered, Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" was playing on the radio... Somehow, that's something we'll never forget - and DH had all the nurses & doctors laughing b/c he was singing along like a dork!

Anyhoo, Caleb Rylan was delivered at exactly 8:09am, so the surgery went very quickly. It took them awhile to stitch me up, and DH was busy taking all the pix and video of the cleaning, weighing, etc... He even got an awesome (NOT) picture of my uterus since Dr. Smith was kind enough to ask him if he wanted to see it before they put it back inside! Weird, I know, but DH is fascinated by all that stuff. Now there's a keepsake for the baby book. As soon as I was all done, they put my sweet baby on my tummy and wheeled us back into my room. I so love this hospital for not having the whole 'recovery area' where you have to stay while they take the baby to the nursery. Nope, we went right back to our room and Rylan stayed w/us the whole time. DH went to the waiting area and got the girls. We had decided to surprise them and let them pick their brother's name. We had two names picked out and when they came in the room they got to pick which one we'd use. Fortunately, for once their decision was unanimous from the get go and Caleb Rylan it was. They were instantly smitten w/their new brother, of course!

And that, all-be-it rather routine, is Rylan's birth story

November 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
lol I don't think DH singing along to Rod Stewart during the delivery is too rountine! but it is hilarious

and my DH was fascinated watching them "put my guts back in" as he said it, so I understand boys will be boys

congrats!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

November 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM
cadjma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to cadjma
EVen though you may feel like it was routine, every birth story brings tears to my eyes. Rylan's birth story was no different - it was very special and all his own. The Rod Stewart song is hilarious & hearing Rylan's first cry had to be the best moment ever! I know hearing Aubrie was. Congrat's mommy!!!

Maile 10/22/04 Aubrie 11/03/08 Gabbie 08/28/10

November 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, each birth story is very special and brings tears to my eyes...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search