Baby Dino Allen

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
shannon.conti's Avatar Super Mommy
Well it sure has taken me a long time to be able to sit down and type this up.

As you ladies know I had several problems during my pregnancy ranging from my dad being diagnosed with cancer in stage 4, to moving him into my home for his care, to developing a severe gallbladder problem, to several horrible pains and almost needing a separation from my husband. But I made it through some how.

I started contracting between 29 and 30 weeks with contractions every 3 minutes. Medications could not get them stopped but no cervical change was made until 34 weeks. At 35 1/2 weeks I was at a 3 and 50%. They did several ultrasounds and determined the baby was very large and would probably be over 8 pounds even if they induced me soon. My doctor eventually agreed on an induction date of November 17 which left me at 37 weeks and 5 days. She said she could not leave me so miserable any longer than that and truly wanted my gallbladder out by the end of the year.

Even though there were several trips to L&D before the induction date I made it all the way to November 17th. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am to begin the process. By the time I was checked in and my blood work was done they were ready to start the induction at 7 am. My contractions quickly picked up and because I was just sooooo tired from all the stress leading to this day I said that I would want an epidural just so I could rest until he arrived. Well the joy of a small town is that only one anesthesiologist was on duty and there were surgeries scheduled almost all day long. They finally said he could be there around noon. It was 10 am.

When they checked me at that time I was still only at a 3 even though I was having pretty intense contractions one on top of the next, honestly with 30 seconds of rest in between. My doctor then started to say we can break your water but if your body does not kick in to gear you know where you will end up, she then asks what time an OR might be available. I told her go ahead and break my water but in the back of my head I truly thought I was headed for a C-section. After breaking my water things got much more intense and within 45 minutes I had gone from 3 to 6. I was still about a half hour from the epidural arriving and I was beginning to lose all my energy to the point where I was actually falling asleep in 30 second increments between contractions. My nurse then said she would call my doctor and find out what she could give me then to help a little. Wouldnt you know my doctor was not calling her back because she was with another patient. When my doctor finally called back the anesthesiologist was just walking in. They still gave me a small dose so that I could relax as he set up. He arrived at noon and finished at 12:30. I was feeling a bit better.

Suddenly I felt the overwhelming urge to push, I screamed that he was coming and everyone doubted me. Sure enough they checked me and I had gone from 6 to fully ready to go in just over 40 minutes, everyone was shocked. My doctor ran to get changed as the nurses freaked out that I was going to have him before she got back. My doctor returned and I pushed for 20 minutes then my little boy arrived at 1:13pm 43 minutes after my epidural was placed, I feel it was a total waste hehehe. This birth was so different from my daughters that I laughed through my entire time pushing, my doctor and nurses thought I was insane. It was just the odd sensation of feeling the need to push because with my daughter the epidural worked a little too well and numbed everything completely from the waist down. I waas very interested in the feeling honestly.

Well Little Dino Allen arrived November 17th at 1:13pm weighing 7 pounds and 6 ounces being 18 3/4 inches long. They immediately had to give him oxygen and warm him up before I got to hold my little boy, that 20 minutes seemed like forever and boy was I jealous that my husband got to be near him while I was stuck in a bed across the room. When they finally bundled him up and handed him to me there was no bigger sigh of relief than that moment. I love my new little man.

We stayed in the hospital that night, with them closely watching him since he was a technical preemie by 2 days. The only problem we had at that time was getting his temperature up, so he did spend part of the night in the nursery. He began nursing about 45 minutes after birth and did well from the get go and we took him home around 6pm on November 18th.

Well that Friday my little boy was admitted to the hospital again due to jaundice. He stayed for three days then released. We have had him in the lab several times since then and he was almost admitted again due to his levels going back up. Luckily he now seems to be doing so much better and his levels are down again. They had me stop breastfeeding but now he is on alternating feeds of breast and formula and seems to be doing well. Hopefully soon it will be back to breast only. My freezer is stockpiled for him. His next check up is December 9th but I am so happy they say at this point lab work is not required. My gallbladder surgery is scheduled for December 16th then hopefully my house can get back on schedule.

Lots of pictures below of my little mans first week

My little man on Oxygen

Happy Mommy waiting to hold her little one

Finally covered up ready to go see mommy

Happy Mommy Daddy and Baby Dino Allen

Harmony's first look at her new little brother she loves him dearly

Harmony looking into the Nursery at her new Brother

Ready to go home in his dragon outfit and with his blanket from his Aunt Martha

Before the doctors appointment that sent him back to the hospital you can see his coloring from the jaundice

Under the lights, like his surgical mask diaper? hehehe

December 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Congrats! What a great story!
December 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
congrats, thanks for sharing
December 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you had fast good labor, and of course Dino is just precious
December 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story! congrats and thanks for shareing!
December 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, wow, he is just adorable mama!!

Thanks for sharing your story!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

December 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
TFS your birth story. He is just so cute. I like his pic of his eyes covered and his teeny diaper.
December 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats again. Thanks for sharing.
December 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sirvingmaicie
What a story! He is adorable. Glad everything is well(except for the gallbladder thing!)

December 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM
punktart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing your birth story! He is truly precious!

December 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!! He is so adorable Thanks for sharing your story

December 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM
ally&bub's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well done mummy, he is gorgeous! x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search