Blaise Jacob

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Well Blaise was due on 11/14 and I had a very uneventful pregnancy and fully believed that he would wait until his due date or later to make his appearance. At my 37 week appointment the midwife said that I was measuring small and sent me to have another ultrasound. I of course started to worry b/c the ultrasound showed that he was measuring roughly 4 weeks behind. At my 38 week appt the midwife was still waiting on the ultrasound results and said she'd call me as soon as she reviewed them and that she was going to send me to the high risk clinic. I spent the entire weekend worrying...mostly confused at how I could have a 44 week pregnancy

Fast forward two days to Sunday, November 2nd. DH and I were on our way to church and I was putting on makeup in the mirror and my vision was really spotty...like parts of my face were missing. I pulled out my little paper that listed possible things to be worried about in a pregnancy and blurred vision was on there. I called L&D and the nurse didn't seem too worried but said that since I was 38 + weeks that he wanted me to come in just in case. We went ahead and went to L&D although I knew I was overreacting and wasting my time. We got there and I got hooked up on monitors and we are joking w/ the nurse. He gave me fluids though an IV for dehydration but my blood pressure was fine. He left the room and when he came back he noticed that there was a period where Blaise's heart rate dropped. Now....had that not had happened, we would have been sent on our way. Instead he had to monitor me further to see if it would happen again. Sure enough, it did. When I had a contraction (that I wasn't even aware I was having) Blaise's heart rate would drop. Then he dropped the bombshell...the doctor would likely want to take the baby TODAY! DH and I looked at each other and kind of laughed....we really thought this guy was joking. There was no way....it wasn't time yet.

The doctor comes in and confirms that with each contraction, Blaise's heart rate would drop. He also took this time to inform us that our baby had IUGR (Interuterine Growth Restriction) and my placenta was not providing the nourishment he needed....that is why he was only 4 lb 1 oz at 38 weeks 2 days. Prior to that moment I had NO clue that anything was wrong with my baby. The doctor checked me and I was not dilated at all...no progression...nothing. He told me that he could induce me and I could try to deliver vaginally and it could take a few hours or days, or I could have a c-section. Somehow....I didn't freak out. DH and I decided very quickly, without much hesitation that a c-section was the way to go. It just felt right. The doctor wanted to do the c-section ASAP but I was so unprepared and shaken up that I told the dr I had to leave and come back...I just needed to go home, talk to my parents, get my bag. The doctor made us sign a paper stating that we were leaving against his advice.

2 hours later....we return to the hospital, totally freaked out yet oddly calm (I was anyways) and ready for the c-section. It was honestly a very relaxed delivery. I was not at all prepared for a c-section. I had no intention of having one and hadn't educated myself at all. I was so in awe that I would be wide awake, alert, talking, joking and feeling NOTHING while they delivered my baby. I actually joked w/ DH through the entire process. Blaise was born at 5:05 pm on Sunday, November 2nd. He was 4 lbs 1 oz and 17.5 inches long. He had to stay in the NICU for a week so that they could make sure he could regulate his temp, keep food down and thrive on his own. I think that although he was full term, he was essentially like a preemie. The doctor later informed us that had I tried to deliver vaginally, it would have ended in an emergency c-section anyways. Blaise would not have been able to withstand the trauma of labor and contractions. I found out later that the still birth and infant mortality rate are both high in IUGR infants. I consider myself VERY VERY blessed to have gone in to L&D that day simply b/c I was playing it safe. At first I was extremely angry that none of the drs or midwifes at the clinic I went to caught any of this....but I'm just so happy that my baby is here and safe and healthy.
December 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read your amazing story yesterday, but I was holding Violette and couldnt respond yet! What an amazing thing to go through! Does Blaise have any long term effects from IUGR or is he just a small little guy? Will he thrive like crazy now that he is out? Sorry to play 20 questions with you I have never seen IUGR so its pretty amazing to me. HE is absolutely adorable! How much does he weigh now? I bet you were not expectig to have to buy preemie clothes! Congrats on trusting your intuitions and bringing a healthy wonderful baby into this world
Suzannah (2.5)

December 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Thanks! It doesn't appear that he will have long term effects. His ped says he should "catch up" fairly quickly. They say that since it effects babies while in utero, the best thing for them is to be born so they can start thriving. As of Monday (1 month 1 week) he weighed 5 lbs 14 oz. He left the hospital at 1 week old weighing his birth weight so that's a 1 lb 13 oz gain in a month...which I think is good. Thanks again for reading my story. Your daughters are adorable btw
December 11th, 2008, 04:37 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Wow. Its great that you followed your instincts. The dr's should have known something was up when the baby started measuring small all the sudden. i am glad that your little guy is ok and healthy!

December 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Proud Mommy to Brandon
Wow, that's amazing. Good thing you went to L&D. I was also measuring small so my OB ordered an ultrasound at 36 wks. During delibery at 38wks 1 day, my baby's heart rate also dipped during contractions so I ended up in c-section as well. Fortunately, mine was born at 6lb. 5 oz., healthy as can be.

x7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search