Brayden Vaughn

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
**long and detailed - didn't want to leave anything out!**

My EDD was 12/10. On Saturday night (12-6) I was lying in bed watching TV with DH. Around 8 pm I started feeling some wetness but figured it was nothing since there was nothing noticeable when I went to the bathroom. But the feeling kept getting worse, I had little leaks when I would roll over or stand up. Finally at 9:30 I went to the bathroom and my water broke - full on gushing down both legs like in the movies. I went and told DH I thought my water had broken, we both settled in for the night to wait for contractions.

I got about 2 hours of sleep that night. I had been having regular 3-5 minute contractions for a couple of weeks and those continued through the night, but I was too keyed up to sleep. Finally around 7 am on Sunday, 12/7 DH and I decided to shower and head on in to L&D. My OB had told me to come in within 4 hours after my water breaking (however I had let her know I wouldn't be doing that since I preferred to labor at home for a while).

After stopping for breakfast we got to L&D around 9:30-10am. They admitted me right away, checked the fluid, and put in the hep lock. We were one of only 3 couples in L&D that day. I was checked for dilation and found I was 2cm and 75%, just as I had been since 37 weeks. They monitored my contractions for a little while and they were about 5 minutes apart but no stronger than they usually were. I had lied a bit and told them my water broke at midnight because I knew the doctor would be pushing me to start pitocin. So basically I had a couple of hours to get things started on my own to avoid the pitocin. DH and I walked and walked (not much fun when you're still gushing fluid), I tried nipple stimulation, lunges, everything. Still no contractions. So pitocin started at noon. I would have fought them on it but DH was not supportive on that angle at all.

I stayed comfortable for a long time, the nurses upped the pitocin every 30 minutes until was 3/4 of the way to the maximum dosage. The all of a sudden, around 6pm, the contractions hit like a brick wall. It was horrible. I immediately started vomiting uncontrollably. There was no gradual build up like what I expected with natural labor - out of nowhere I went from completely fine to having long and hard contractions on top of one another. I barely got through one when the next one hit. For the next few hours I tried every labor position under the sun, used the birth ball, DH massaged, none of it relieved any of the discomfort. By this point I had been on the pit with no pain relief for 9 hours. I asked for Stadol to see if that would take the edge off. Bad idea! It was like being drunk and having a hangover all at once. And it made the vomiting more intense. At that point I asked to be checked again and I was 5 cm and still 75% effaced. I realized then that natural labor was not in the cards for me, I physically and mentally couldn't take any more so I got the epidural.

Afterward things were better for me. I finally received my anti-nausea meds via IV (Zofran) and the vomiting decreased. I had lower back pain that the epidural didn't kill. At 3 am on Monday morning (12-8) I had my 3rd cervix check and I was complete. I couldn't feel the contractions at all so I told the nurse I would wait for the epidural to wear off so I could push better. I took a 30 minute nap. The next thing I know I woke up at 4am and felt intense pressure in my butt and lower back, I woke DH and told him it's time, this baby is coming soon!

The nurse came in and set things up, then I started to push. It felt sooooooo good. It helped the pain so much to push through it. DH was awesome, holding my leg, feeding me ice and keeping cold cloths on my face. I was surprised at how calm we both were about the whole thing, I thought he would be freaking out and he thought the same about me. But both of us were really quiet and focused. She kept telling me I was doing great, that I would have the baby out soon. After 45 minutes of pushing we were just waiting for the doctor to arrive, I was only able to push for 3 seconds at a time then because the baby was ready to pop out but there was no doctor even there to catch! 30 minutes later the OB on call arrived and Brayden Vaughn was born 3 pushes later at 5:22 am. I had torn a little and needed 3 stitches to repair. Brayden's apgar scores were 9/9. He was 7 lb 11oz, 20 in, and his head circumference was 37.5 cm! Everyone kept commenting and saying he had a big head.

I can't believe our little boy is here! DH and I are in awe, the whole experience was incredible. Things didn't go the way I had planned or wanted but that's okay. It is what it is and I'm not beating myself up for the choices I made. I'm fine and our boy is healthy and that's all that matters in the end!

December 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I'm sorry you didn't get the delivery you had hoped for but you're right...in the end all that matters is that everyone is heathy!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats! glad everyone is healthy and happy
December 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
littlebabydolly
I agree that a happy beautiful baby at the end is all that is needed in birth. You did your best and are very brave to make it through those pictocin contractions as long as you did. Your amazing!

btw, I hope you dont mind, I told my midwife your story and she does think the membrane sweeping is to blame for how things ended up. She agreed it was a total violation.

Anyways, congratulations! Isnt it great to be a mamma to a boy?!
December 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Congratulations! You did great!

December 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
JennyluvsDilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I'm glad you both are happy and healthy!

December 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
mommy-heather's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats! glad everyone is healthy and happy
December 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!! that is a big head circ!
December 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, thanks for sharing!!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

December 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
congrats, thanks for sharing
December 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations!!! My labor and delivery did not go as planned either. You are not alone. Your little boy is here and healthy- you did great.

December 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I ended up getting an epi even though I said I didn't want one either.

December 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
Congratulations! Pitocin is really tough. I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. You birthed a healthy baby boy and made the best decisions possible!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

December 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sirvingmaicie
congrats! you did wonderful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search