The birth of Sylas Leon

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
It was 1am Monday morning and I was getting ready for bed and I noticed my back was cramping and I felt somewhat sick to my stomach. I went to the restroom to find that I lost my mucus plug and was having some bloody show. I decided to try to relax and drink a glass of wine and take a hot bath. The hot water helped with the back pain and after I got out of the water I realized the back pain was coming in pretty intense waves. Confused- I decided to time them and they were 6-7 minutes apart and very inconsistent in length (3-10 minutes). I still wasn't sure if this was it so I decided to get online and rock in my rocker. The back pain continued to intensify in waves and I began to notice my stomach was hardening as well. At 4am my body began to cleanse itself and while in the restroom I felt a small gush of warm fluid- my water broke. At 6am I decided to wake DH and let him know today was the day. I called my midwife around 6:30 because the contractions were almost five minutes apart. Around 8am we made our way to the birth center. The car ride was intense and I questioned whether or not I could do this. I kept my focus as best as I could and hoped my labor would be short. When we got to the birth center my midwife checked me and I was only 2cm and 75% effaced. She said the baby's head was very low and that may be why the back pain was so intense. DH and I were instructed to walk around the neighborhood to get things moving. I had to stop and vomit about every five minutes or so- red wine- yuck! When we arrived back at the birth center I was checked again only to find I was 3cm. I cried because I was so sure I was further along. The pain was so intense for me to be only 3cm! My midwife walked us next door where my chiropractor proceeded to do an adjustment on my back for the back labor. It did not seem to help.

After laboring on the bed for some time I begged to be checked again. I was 5cm and my midwife said it was alright to get into the water. My body was still cleansing itself so I ended up laboring on the toilet for about two hours before getting into the water. The water helped at first but I could not find a comfortable position. I started to get very vocal with each contraction and at this point I was not getting any relief in between contractions because of the back pain. When check again I was 7cm. It gave me hope that he was coming soon and I kept my focus. About two hours later I was 9cm with just a small lip of cervix. My midwife proceeded to push back the lip on my cervix and it was extremely painful. She instructed me to push and it was as if my body started to push on it's own. We were so sure that it wasn't going to be long. I continued pushing and with each push the pressure was so intense it felt like my back was splitting in two. At this point I was in some sort of trance state. The pain was so intense I wanted to come out of my body. After and hour of pushing my midwife instructed me to get out of the tub and labor in a squatting position. No position helped the back labor- it seemed to only make things worse. I continued to push with everything I had in me and then his heart rate started to drop with each push. Panic set in me and I wanted him out. I pushed for almost three hours and finally screamed at the top of my lungs "he's stuck". All the pushing and he was not moving down! I screamed at everyone that I wanted to go to the hospital NOW! His heart rate was dropping and I could not get him out. I was completely exhausted and terrified that he was in danger.

They put me back in the water and my midwife called the back up doctor at the hospital to tell him we were coming. While I was in the tub my body was still pushing all on it's own- still no progress. I could feel the top of his head. He was in the birth canal. DH dressed me and we jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. It took every ounce of strength in me to keep my focus and not scream at the top of my lungs. Every contraction felt like it built up pressure and I was going to explode. When we made it to the hospital I was beside myself. I was crying and telling the nurses to get him out. My blood pressure was through the roof and his heart rate was still decelerating. I had to lay on my back- and it only intensified the pain. I overheard the doctor and nurses discussing whether or not to do a c-section or try to use the forceps. My midwife stepped in and instructed them to try to let me have a vaginal birth. After I was given the epidural they had to use the forceps and give me a large episiotomy. I had to push about 10 times and he was born. They laid him up on my chest and it was the greatest feeling in the world to hear him cry. The doctor said I was severely swollen and my pelvis was too narrow, on top of that he was sunny side up. I'm not sure what went wrong or why things worked out the way they did. I am just so happy it is over and he is safe. His apgar scores were all nines and he weighed 8lbs 1 oz. It was not at all what I wanted for my birth but I am thankful he is here.

December 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry things didn't go as planned, but glad to hear that both mom and baby are okay.

December 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry it didn't go as planned. I am glad you are both ok and you now have your little man in your arms, Congratulations!
December 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a rough labor it sounds like I'm glad you both are okay and you have your gorgeous little man here now!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

December 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
Congrats, glad he is here
thanks for sharing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search