--Collin Kenneth--

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Collin Kenneth’s birth story

On December 14th Dillon and I got home from my aunts house and celebrating my cousin’s birthday. Dillon was dead set on inducing my labor that night…I told him to just relax because I was pretty sure baby wasn’t coming out without being forced, as I had been walking like crazy and trying some other things to get things going to no avail. Well, that night Dillon decided to research it on his own and found some acupressure techniques and also read about the nipple stimulation. He decided to try the acupressure on me and then brought out the breast pump and made me put it on. It scared me…I put it on my boob, turned it on and some colostrums leaked out. For some reason it just really grossed me out so I took it off an laid down in bed. Dillon insisted on continuing to stimulate my nipples so I was just falling asleep and letting him do his thing when all of a sudden I heard and felt a POP low in my pelvis. My eyes flew open…Dillon said I looked at him in terror. I knew from other girls descriptions that my water had just broken. I looked at Dillon and said “Did you hear that? That had to be….” Dillon was confused, but I rolled out of bed and stood there with my hands leaning against it and water just GUSHED out of me. I yelled at him that my water had just broken and he seriously went into super dad mode…it was so funny…I was shaking uncontrollably, I was sooo nervous. We were packed and everything and Dillon ran out of the room to get me a towel. He brought me a bath mat…I told him no, get a towel a towel!!! He finally brought me one and I started waddling around to find something to wear. I put on my cute velour jumpsuit but ended up soaking through the pants..I remember I was really mad about that because then I had to wear black yoga pants and they didn’t go with my brown coat. Anyways, we left the house about 15 minutes later after calling my mom, who met us at the hospital with my dad. We had to stop for gas on the way to the hospital and I also refused to go in without doing my makeup…yes I guess I’m just that vain, haha even though it wore off reallllly quickly during labor.

I got to the hospital and they took us back to our room. By that point I had had a few contractions, bad but not unbearable. They hooked me up to monitors and my blood pressure was really high for me. They were worried about pre-e, even though I’d never had any trouble with high blood pressure in the office. They drew some blood to test that and said if my blood pressure didn’t go down they might have to put some magnesium sulfate in my IV or take some other measures to ensure a safe delivery. Of course I knew it was just high because I was incredibly anxious and nervous. And it was…it slowly started going down, and once it did the nurse let me get up off the bed. I had been watching Friends but by that point the contractions were too awful for me to just lay around through them. I tried several ways of dealing with them…it was too hard for me to walk, so what helped me the most was standing and leaning into Dillon. I had a fabulous nurse who applied pressure to my lower back and showed Dillon how to do it. She also moved me in different positions on the bed to help the baby come faster. When I arrived at the hospital I was 5.5 cm. When the contractions started getting worse I asked to be checked again and I was still 5.5. I was appalled by that cause I was in so much pain! At that point the on call doctor came in and I asked how long it would be. She was very rude…told me it would be awhile and asked what drugs I wanted. I said that depended on how much longer I would be in labor. Well obviously no one could predict that, but she told me it was going to be awhile and told me they could give me something in my IV to take the edge off. I asked if I could have the epidural later if that didn’t work for me, she said yes so I told them to try it. The nurse said it wouldn’t take the pain away, but it would make me care less about it. What it did was make me very dopey and dizzy. I had to close my eyes in between contractions and was being super polite to everyone…everytime I asked for something I would say please and thank you and it was so weird. Not how I was expecting myself to be during labor at all! I was laying there and the pain was getting more intense so the nurse checked me again..I’m not sure what time it was or how much time had passed at this point, but I was at 7cm. I asked how much longer because I was having trouble dealing with the pain. She said typically people dilate 1 cm per hour. I was in sooo much pain I told her I wanted the epidural. Since she knew I really didn’t, she told me to get through the next 2 contractions and we would talk about it again. I said okay, and the next two contractions came really hard and fast and I yelled that I needed to push. The nurse was a little surprised, but told me to go with my body…my body took over at this point. She checked me after those 2 hard contractions when I said I needed to push and to everyone’s surprise I was at 10….she ran out to call for the doctor, who was next door stitching someone up.

At this point I was feeling tons of pressure like I had to poop and pee like crazy. I kept telling the nurse…who was alone with Dillon and I cause the doctor still had to finish up next door…that I was going to poop on her. She told me I wouldn’t, that that was my baby, and told me to hold my legs up and push. She stretched my perineum for me and I pushed through contractions and when my body told me to until the doctor came running in. She said “wow you’re making a liar out of me right now!” because she had told me it would be awhile. I pushed for about 40 minutes…I was so tired and it burned so much, but I just wanted him out. I kept telling the doctor to get him out, and she told me that it was my job. I felt him crowning and kept pushing…his head came out and they were yelling at me to stop pushing. I had no idea what was wrong, but it turns out his cord was around his neck twice and they needed to untangle it. Once they did that, I’m not sure if I pushed or they pulled, but he was out and they wiped him off real quick and put him on my chest. At one point during that the nurse asked Dillon if he wanted to cut the cord, which he did, but the doctor said “ I’m here, I have it in my hand, I’m just going to do it” After they let me hold Collin for a couple minutes they took him and the doctor pressed on my stomach, reached up and pulled the placenta out. I asked her if I should push the placenta out and she said it was already out. It was very strange to me…she then applied local anesthetic and made a comment on how this was the problem with not having an epidural..I was torn a bit inside and stitching up was going to hurt..I felt a few pricks but it really didn’t hurt at all. She said it was amazing that I only tore a bit inside, since this was my first baby and all. The details are a bit fuzzy from there…I know I was starving and they brought me breakfast and Dillon and the nurse gave Collin his first bath. I was in shock and overwhelmed and amazed that this little boy was mine. I still am sometime

I probably left out tons of details, but that’s about what I remember at this point

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

December 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a good experience, minus the rude doctor lol.
December 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM
JennyluvsDilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw Heather, what a great story! I'm glad it was a quick labor and everything went smoothly for you! I still can't believe that doc about the cord though. That is so funny how Dillon brought you a bath mat when your water broke! ha!!!

December 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
thanks for sharing!
December 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story heather!! stupid doctor and this is too hilarious he brought you a bath mat! lol! aww

December 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing Heather!
December 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
littlebabydolly
Great story! You did an amazing job.
December 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
ally&bub's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww Heather, it sounds amazing! You were so brave, you've definitely given me confidence to do this! Absolutely loving the new picture of little Collin too, what a cutie.

December 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats mama. It sounds like you did a great job- he is sooo cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search