Jayden Ray

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I work the early morning shift at work. It was a little after 8:00 Thursday morning, December 11, and I was stocking the cooler. I never carry too many things at once, but as I was holding my drinks and putting them inside I noticed I was kind of *ahem* wet down below. I hadn't felt a gush of anything like that, so I wasn't sure what it was. I finished what I was doing and ran to the restroom. Sure enough, I was *ahem again* wet and it had gone through my undies and onto my pants. Not a lot, but enough to kind of alarm me.

I went back to the front desk and got my wonderful boss Sharon's attention. I asked her if her water had broken on its own while she was pregnant. She said no, that the doctor had to do it. She immediately knew what I was getting at and made me go call my doctor to at least let them know what was happening. So I did. Doctor Khoeler's secretary took my message and paged her. She called back a few minutes later and said that I needed to go to the ER to be checked, just in case. So I called Nick and assured him that all was well and that we would just get checked and be sent home within an hour or two. I did have him go ahead and bring Jayden's carseat and our hospital bags just in case. I was even trying to tell him that he could just stay home and I could drive myself to Miami since I was positive nothing was happening. I was feeling 0 contractions, not even Braxton Hicks. I told Sharon that I would be back at work as soon as the hospital released me. Little did we know my maternity leave was about to begin!

We got to the hospital and got checked in. They put me in a L&D room and hooked me up to the baby's HR monitor and a contraction monitor. When I was checked, I was at 4 cm. That was 1 more than I was that previous Monday at my routine check-up. The nurses monitored me for about an hour. I told Nick I was starting to feel this dull pain in the lower left of my belly every so often. When we watched the contraction monitor's readings, we were surprised to find that it was picking up actual contractions. The nurse came back in and confirmed that though they were small and mild, they were contractions. Turns out my water had not broken yet, it was just very low and was starting to bulge at each contraction. I was then admitted since I was already at a 4. I got an I.V. and all the works.

To make this long wonderful story shorter, I spent several more hours stalled at 4 cm. I walked the hallways even but to no avail. Though I was not dialating any more, my contractions were getting stronger. I'm not sure when I got my first dose of medication, I believe it was early Thursday evening. I loved it! I have never in my life have been actually drunk but I sure felt drunk about 2 minutes after I got that medication. It totally took away every ounce of pain I was feeling and made me sleepy so I could rest. It made me very goofy, too. Nick was having a blast listen to me.

I must mention this because it is still amazing to me. The hospital starved me!!! I had eaten a breakfast burrito at work before I went to Miami. That was right at 8:00. By the evening, I was really getting hungry. My mom was about to flip out because they wouldn't feed me. It is just standard for the hospital to not feed laboring women to prevent any complications, like getting sick while having a C-section, for example. But it was okay, I understood.

In the wee hours of Friday morning, I was still stalled at a 4 but was feeling enough pain to want my epidural. The guy came in and was a jolly fella who really reminded me of Santa, he even had a white beard and mustach! Thank heaven for epidurals but wow oh wow, I had no legs after that! My body was unable to move or function from my hips down. They had to give me a catheter because I would no longer have control of my bladder.

I labored all night Thursday and early Friday morning. To my horror, at about 6 AM Friday morning my epidural ran out! They were supposed to be watching it, and they were, but not close enough. And to make matters worse, they epidural man was in surgery and would not get to me for awhile! So as my epidural wore off, my contractions grew stronger and stronger and more and more painful. I believe that I probably got to experience a little taste of "natural" labor for a few hours. To make it simple: It sucked!!!!!

Finally after that 2 hours of painful labor, my epi was replaced. I felt so much better! But I was experiencing back labor and there is nothing the medication can do for back labor. I just had to grin and bear it.

The time was about 10 AM Friday morning now and Doctor Khoeler finally came in to see me. She checked me and I was STILL at 4 cm. My water had STILL not broken. Until she touched it. She didn't mean to, but as soon as she was in it broke and gushed all over! Ewww!!!

They cleaned me up and decided that I was just not progressing fast enough. Doctor Khoeler thought Jayden's head was not lining up properly and that was the reason I was not dialating anymore. She gave me a time limit. It was 10:00 then and she gave me until 11:30 to make some progress on my own or else I would have a C-section.

I got so emotional then when they left me. I was not afraid of surgery, I think I was just scared that I was not going to be able to have Jayden on my own and I was scared of the long recovery required with surgery.

Thankgoodness my wonderful, amazing husband was there to comfort me. Even during hard labor he was able to make me smile and giggle. I still say to this day, not a day goes by that I don't smile at least once at my clown of a hubby, Nick!

Somehow and amzingly, I began to progress. Jayden's head had lined up properly and I was dialating very fast. 11:30 came and since I was doing so well, I believe I was at 8 cm then, they let me keep going. By 12, things were being set up in the room. The baby warmer was turned on, clamps and hemostats were brought out, those bright blue sterile drapes were unfolded.

At 12:15, Doctor Khoeler came in. She put on her gown and told me she was going to be able to make it to her hair appointment at 12:45, she just knew it! I was excited because if she thought I was going to go that fast, then yay, it would be over soon!

I pushed for an hour! It was amazing to push though. It is so incrediable how the body just takes over and knows what to do. I have never pushed a baby out of my body before but somehow that day I knew exactly how to do it.

After exactly 1 hour of hard pushing, our little boy named Jayden Ray was born at 1:13 PM December 12. He weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. He was 20 inches long. He cried immediately. (In fact he is crying right now!) He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!

Memories of mine and Nick's relationship suddenly fludded my mind when they layed Jayden on my chest. Everyone said we were just kids and were just another temporary high school sweetheart. It is rare but it happens that love begins young. On November 2 this year, we celebrated our 7th year of being "together." That was the day at a football game in high school that we bagan dating. Earlier in June, we celebrated our 2 year of marriage.

We were always a family, but now we have a baby boy who makes us 3. We have been through so much drama and disaster, but we have also seen and been through so much more good and wonderful. I have always said to myself when things are bad that Heavenly Father would never let me go through and experience anything I could not handle. Though it never seems so at the time, I know for a fact that is exactly right and that He had been with Nick and I through every single thing that has happened to us.

Little Jayden is laying in my arms as I type this right now, having just finished his breakfast. He is a farting machine and is stinking up the room here. Like father like son!

We took him on his first outing yesterday. He was wonderful. He didn't make a peep in the car and was patient with all the people who held and cuddled him. We took him to see his grandma and great-grandma; Nick's mom and grandma. Then we went to see his other grandma, my mom, at her work. The girls there just ooed and awed over him. He was just great. After that, we really needed to make a wal-mart trip so we decided to go ahead and go. He was really good but he did get fussy and needed to be fed and burped while we were shopping.

I am breastfeeding Jayden, but not through the actual breast. I could not and still have not been able to get him to latch on properly. So I am now using a breast pump every 3 to 4 hours, day and night, to get Jayden his meals. We are supplementing in between when he still seems hungry after a feed. I learned that breastmilk goes through them very very fast because it is so easily digested, so that is why he eats so much so often. Thankgoodness for the breast pump because he is still getting all that good stuff he needs. I am so proud of myself, too. I am making on average 3-4 ounces each session and it should continue to increase. We have storage bags and are actually able to use them because I am making more milk that Jayden can have in one feeding. Yay!

I am going to close this huge, long blog with a huge love in my heart that I have never felt before in my life. I know and feel an amazing and powerful love for my Nick every single day. But now I feel something totally different in my heart for this little farting monster still laying in my arms making a poopy diaper for me to change. He is wonderful and I just can't even begin to express any more how much I love him.

If you read this whole thing, thank you for sharing my journey. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Thankyou for the siggy, Jaidynsmum!
December 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
thanks for sharing!
December 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! It made me cry.

December 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a good experience congrats again.
December 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww congratulations on your little boy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search