Layne Landan-Michael

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
<div align="center">

Layne's original due date was 11/26/08, but he had other plans & arrived on 11/1/08. Layne has a special birthday. It's also Dia de los Angelitos/All Saints Day, we're pretty sure his big brother helped pick that special day as well! My water broke around 10:20 on Halloween night while I was walking out to the garbage dumpster with Andy. I felt three little gushes & just kinda stood their looking at the dumpster. Andy was like "What's wrong?" and I said "I think my water broke because I just felt some fluid." Andy got all panicky lol Like "Omg what do we need to do? Do we need to go to the hospital now?" etc lol. We went back inside & Andy called my drs office, they lady took the information about what was going on & said she'd have the dr call us back. When the dr called back I explained what was happening. By that time I'd sat on the toilet & had more fluid & when I was walking around. She said it sounded pretty convincing that my water had broke & she'd call ahead to the hospital to let them know I was coming! Andy & I rushed around a little in attempts to get some things together lol Then we left for the hospital. From the parking garage to the elevators I only had a little fluid leaking out, but once we got off the elevators on the maternity floor is when it really started gushing! By the time we got into Labor & Delivery I'd SOAKED my pants to where it was dripping down my leg & leaving a trail behind me! I walked up to the nurses station, stood & waited a second when one of the nurses looked at me & said "Someone's membranes ruptured" lol Another nurse said "I take it your Lacey" lol So on the way to my room I was still dripping & leaving a water trail behind me! After all the questions & paper work I was checked & still only 2cm & 90% effaced like I was at my dr apt a few days prior, I wasn't contracting. The dr made orders to start pitocin if my body didn't start contractions on their own. I don't remember exactly when the contractions started but I really wanted to labor naturally on my own. Finally around 2pm I went for the epidural because I was exhausted & falling asleep between contractions. I didn't want to not be able to push when the time came. Finally I had some relief! Somewhere between 7:30-8pm I vomited. It came out of nowhere lol I told Andy I didn't feel good & I leaned over my bed & got sick on the floor! Ahh I was so nervous that ment something was wrong. But the nurses treated it like it was something that happend all the time so I got over it quickly. Around 8-8:30 my nurse checked me again, I was 100% effaced but one side of my cervix still had a lip on it, she massaged it away & I was ready to start pushing. Everyone was making bets on how soon it would be, the earliest being around 9-9:30, my nurse said no way! She thought it would be longer than that lol But after about an hour, hour & a half Layne Landan-Michael was born! It was 9:26pm & he was 6lbs 8oz & 20in. After Andy cut the cord he was put straight to my chest. While I was pushing my dr was massaging my peritaneum & gave me an episiotomy. I had my dr make note that I wanted want if it looked like I needed it because I'd ripped so badly with Landan & didn't want to deal with that again! lol So she had to stitch me up a little afterwards (I felt it all lol) My pitocin had started to wear off when it came time to push. I forgot how incredibly intense the pressure get's when your pushing a baby out! lol

They called the NICU team down after he was born because he was looking like he was having to work really hard to breathe. They got him all hooked up & away they went.

November 2nd
Andy & I just got back from the NICU, while we were waiting outside his room for a lady to finish moping the floors the Neonatologist stopped to talk to us. Layne was taken off the CPAP & just has a regular nasal cannula in right now. She told us that it might not be lung immaturity, but that he had some extra water left in his lungs when he was born. They also took out the tube that was in his stomach out. It was their to make sure no air got into his belly & pressed against the lungs. She also told us they might start feeding him today. All his blood counts have come back normal, but they are going to finish the round of antibiotics that he's on right now. I'm assuming one of the reasons that he was getting antibiotics is because my water was broke for almost 24hrs before he was born. She also said that their is a strong possibility that he'll be going home earlier ... but I don't know if that will be in a few days, a week or a few weeks. But we'll keep our fingers crossed!!

He's so darn cute! It was wonderful to see his sweet little face not being covered by the huge breathing contraption lol. Andy & I are going to be going up again shortly after we get something to eat & plan on taking some more pictures of him.

November 4th
We're getting ready to go visit Layne today. Last night we spent about 4.5hrs with him. Shortly after we first got their he woke up & was really alert for about 20-30minutes. We got to see his cute little blue eyes & he was turning his head to our voices. He sucked the heck out of his paci & acted really hungry. He acts like the taste of the milk is the worst thing ever lol But he drank most of his 10mLs. Andy changed his diaper again & I got to put him in one of his little outfits, he's so precious!

He's starting to get jaundice, so he might be under the bili lights when we arrive today, we don't know yet. I'll give an update later on how he's doing when we get back from visiting.

Last night was emotionally hard, I cried when I thought about going to bed without him. I didn't know how I was going to do it. Andy & I got about 7hrs of sleep last night which is the most we'd gotten since Friday. From Friday to before last night we'd only had about 8-10hrs of sleep.

Please continue to keep him in your prayers!

We just got back from spending a few hours with Layne. We got a wonderful little surprise when we walked into his room ... he's in a regular crib now! Yay!

The nurse today was so much better with answering our questions, being helpful & supportive. Andy asked what the criteria for Layne going home was & she told us that ...

He has to:
Be in a regular bassinet, in room air without setting off any alarms (CHECK!)
Maintain his body temperature (CHECK!)
Tolerate his feeds (CHECK!)
Bottle feed - 2oz/3hrs & gain weight

So as you can see, the feeding issue is mostly why he's still in the NICU. The lightbulb could turn on for him as far as feeding, or he might be here two more weeks. We won't know. He is getting really good at sucking on his paci though!

Before feedings we get to take his temperature & change his diaper. Today I got to try to breast feed & skin on skin contact with him. I was so worried that everyone would think I was sick because I cried right before bed the night before & had HUGE, swollen eyes. I looked horrible! The nurse had me hold him in the football hold to breast feed so the wires wouldn't get in the way of anything. He tried to latch on a few times, but was still pretty sleepy. We tried for probably 10-15minutes. So he was tube fed while I did skin to skin with him. He perked right up after I was talking for a few minutes with him on my chest. it was really cute!

The neonatologist hadn't come around yet by the time we left, so we'll see later if Layne is under the bili lights when we visit. I hope he's not, but it's ok if he is.

Keep him in your thoughts & prayers!

November 5th
Layne is now under the bili lights He was under them when my mom & I arrived tonight. I asked what his levels were & she said they were at 8 & jumped up to 13, he'll be under them for around 2days as long as everything goes well. We got their just in time because the nurse was about to take his temp & change his diaper. I got to do that since I was their though. I also got to feed him again. The neonatologist bumped his feeds up from 10ml to 15ml, with the directions that if he tolerates the 15ml the nurse can bump him up to 20ml at her discretion. I also pumped again while we were their & got about 10ml, so it's slowly coming in. We're hoping to go & rent a pump from the hospital tomorrow. I did notice that the 10ml I pumped earlier had been used. I can't wait to have my own pump to use so I can pump about every 3hrs as suggested.

Andy & I are returning to the hospital tonight to do his 2am feeding.

November 6th

Layne is still under the bili lights today. But our nurse told us his levels went from 13 to 10 & he'd probably only need to be under the lights for another day! The nurse who's caring for him now is going to check the levels again at 5am & I assume that if they are low, she'll take him off the lights.

Another piece of good news is we're moving right along with his feeds! He started out at 10mls, moved up to 15mls, then to 20mls, THEN the nurse tonight moved him up to 25mls & is going to recommend that he be bumped up to 30mls, which is 1oz! She said they might even start to ween him off of his IV therapy which is giving him lipids to gain weight. From what we've heard he has to be drinking around 2oz to go home. So hopefully we're halfway their & he'll continue to progress as quickly as he is now! He hasn't had a bowl movement in a day though, which concerns me. But they aren't concerned at this point, so I guess I shouldn't be either! The nurse told me that they don't get concerned unless it's been 2days, then they usually give them a suppository.

I got to do skin-to-skin with him again today, which is great as always. He downed his 20mls of breastmilk in under 5mins just prior to that & was awake for about an hour! Poor baby was pretty fussy when it came time to go back in his bed. He acted pretty gassy. We had a wonderful nurse though & she held him to calm him down after we left.

The prayers must be working! Now we just need some 'poopy' prayers lol So that he'll have a bowl movement & not get backed up!

Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts & prayers!

November 7th
11/7 Update

Sorry I didn't pop on yesterday to update, I had every intention to do so, but it's been so busy here running back & fourth to the NICU.

So lets go back to 11/6 .... We finally got to touch base with the neonatologist!! Layne's bili levels went down so he was taken off the bili lights. The dr told us that if Layne tolerated two 35ml feedings, then he could take as much as he wanted after that! They are also going to ween him off of the IV therapy & his IV should be out by tonight or tomorrow. So now grandparents can hold him! I bet they'll be excited to do that! We came back later during the day & the nurse said he took all two ounces last feed, when I fed him he took another 2ounces 4 hrs later. Then when Andy & I came back again later that night he only took 45ml. But the nurse didn't think that would be an issue since he'd taken so much the previous feeds. He only had one IV in, which she was going to take out later that night she said, so yay for that! Before we left, she got him set up for his carseat test. Since he was a little premature & was in the NICU he has to pass a carseat test before he can leave. What happens is he has to be strapped into his carseat for two hours without having any desats. Basically he has to be able to keep his oxygen levels up.

11/7 ... Andy called up to the NICU to get an update when we woke up. The nurse told us that his IV was out, he passed his carseat test & had taken 2ounces that morning. She said his bili levels were up a little, but the dr hadn't made rounds yet so she didn't know if he'd have to go under the lights again.

I stayed home and Andy & his mom went up to the NICU (I'm having some uncomfortable gas pains & decided to hang back until the next visit) So Andy just called to update me. The dr didn't put Layne back under the lights because they didn't go much higher. Also, Layne is next in line for his circumcision. Poor baby, I wish they could have gotten this out of the way a.s.a.p. It makes me so sad to know he'll be in some pain, even though it will be a short time.

So if all still checks out, Layne will be coming home tomorrow! YAY! So keep those prayers going that he'll come home, we're so ready for that! And I can't believe that he's going to be a week old tomorrow. Time sure does fly!

November 8th
LAYNE IS HOME! YAY!

Andy called this morning around 9am & the doctor hadn't been around yet to make rounds.

A little while later the nurse called to tell us Layne was ready to go! So we got everything packed up & left to get him! We signed a few papers, watched the wires & everything come off, changed his diaper & put him in his 'coming home' outfit, then into his carseat.

We're so so glad to finally have him home! Andy had to work 1-9pm today & I know he can't wait to get home & hang out with Layne & I!

Layne is so sweet & precious. His big brother, Landan, did an amazing job watching over him for us!

Thank you for checking in for updates & leaving all the comments in the guestbook. It really means alot to us! I'll post a link to his nursery pictures once they become available online.

</div>
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
December 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM
cadjma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to cadjma
Your son is absolutely gorgeous!!! I loved your birth story Thank you for sharing.

Maile 10/22/04 Aubrie 11/03/08 Gabbie 08/28/10

December 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, loved your story and thanks for sharing!! I only wish I had to patients and time to write and share my story

January 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Thanks so much for reading! I just now noticed! lol

I journaled it all because I have a HUGE friend list on myspace & had a CaringBridge page for friends & family to read daily updates on. Otherwise, trust me, it probably wouldn't have happened! lol
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search