Abigail Rose

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Sonshine1296's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abigail Rose
August 15, 2008
6 lbs 7 oz
19 inches

At my 34 week appointment on Monday I was told I had protein in my urine, that my blood pressure was too high and I needed to go to the hospital right from my appointment. I called Tom and he told me not to even wait for him. I went to the hospital and was sent to their Triage Department where I spent a lot of time getting an ultrasound and blood work. Finally, I was told I would be admitted at least overnight for monitoring. I ended up staying in the hospital until Wednesday and was released to go home on bed rest. I had a high risk ultrasound and bpp that morning so I went to my appointment. I was told that there was an issue with blood flow, the cord and the placenta. So, I had to be readmitted to the hospital. Everyday I had to be monitored by blood and urine. I had more ultrasounds as well. My doctor told me that we were walking a fine line between my health and the baby’s health and whether we were safer having her stay in or not. Each day was a mini-victory.
There were several days where I was told not to eat a certain meal because I might have to have a c-section. It never happened.
Finally, after awaking on Friday August 15, 2008 I was told that the blood work they took at 4 am that morning had made the doctor decide to do the c-section…in about an hour! I got so nervous that I began vomiting. They got my IV hooked up again. I called Tom at work to tell him and he had to leave that very minute to hopefully not miss the c-section. We called my mom and she rushed down as well, even though she was on the way to work at the time. We went back a little before 9 am where I got my spinal and meds via IV. They had to keep giving me anti-nausea medication but it wasn’t working because I kept vomiting. It felt weird to be throwing up without feeling your stomach heave at all. Abby was not turned the right way and they had to make her turn before they could get her out. In the process of turning her my fluids popped and went everywhere which completely freaked Tom out. He didn’t know if it was normal or if something was going wrong. The anesthesiologist reassured him that it just meant the baby was almost here. I felt an odd tugging and the next thing I knew she was out! I waited and waited as most mommies do for her to cry. It seemed like it took forever but then we heard her cry very loudly. I could not wait to hear how big she was because she was 4 weeks early. She weighed in at 6 lbs 7 oz and was 19” long. Seeing her in the operating room for the first time made me so happy. I still couldn’t truly comprehend that she was our daughter.
I was still sick for the next 14 hours or so as I was on Magnesium. I only saw her for a few minutes in the Special Care nursery, due to her blood sugar levels being low, until 1 am when I finally could make it out of bed to go see her. That was really hard to go so long without holding her.
She was in the Special Care unit for about 2 days until she could keep her blood sugar up on her own and then she was with me in my room. We were released on Monday afternoon. Tom couldn’t wait to bring his “two girls” home!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search