Sawyer Bryan

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
The week of his birth was a stressful one. The medicine I had been prescribed that was supposed to stop the contractions had stopped working. I was told if I had more then 4 contractions in an hour to go to the hospital. With my history of babies that did not tolerate labor, we were cautious, especially since Madison had such a rough start, and we didn’t know if she would actually make it because of the fetal stress she had undergone at birth.
So, I show up at the hospital 36 weeks pregnant, and was forced to wait in a waiting room. I signed my entrance papers and placed in an ER type setting on the maternity floor. Although I was high risk already on meds to stop labor, had placenta previa, and had a breech transverse baby, they allowed me to wait in a room, for God knows how long waiting on a triage bed.
Eventually I get sent to a triage bed, one of only 4 maternity triage bed in the County hospital! Blasphemy I tell you!! I get looked at and they tell me that my contractions have slowed and almost stopped, and they want me to go home. Which negates what my doctor said prior that day, but I decide fine, I’ll leave. The room was ghetto, there were two triage rooms with two beds each only separated by a thin thread bare curtain. I was expected to change into a gown in a bathroom the size of a hall closet. There was a tiny sink and toilet, and a Rubbermaid three drawer container with gowns and pee cups. I could hardly turn around in this ‘bathroom’. How was I supposed to change in there? Additionally, the blinds were broken; a cool December breeze seeped in through the poorly cared for 4th story windows, and something was splattered on the wall!

Anyways, the days goes by … I sit it out another few days. I am obviously disgusted with the hospital … who really triages pregnant women? Jeremy and I decide that this hospital is not the right fit for us, but my insurance left us with no other choice. I spoke to my doctor who suggested I go to another hospital, but he warns me he cannot deliver me there, but it’s worth it, it’s a far better facility.
5 days go by, it’s now Dec 2nd. My labor is just continuing through my medicine, and despite resting and flooding my system with water I am still contracting. Jeremy and I find a friend to watch the kids while we wait for my sister and brother in law to get to town. They’ve agreed to help watch the kids while I’m in the hospital. Jeremy and I drop off the kids and head to the ‘nice’ hospital. I immediately get a room, and they check me. Only ˝ - 1 dilated. I tell them, look, this is my third child, I tell them I’m high risk and I am not supposed to be laboring at all for fear of uterine rupture. Additionally, I tell them I have NEVER made it past a one. They refuse to keep me there, said I need to go to the county hospital because of my insurance. Jeremy and I are livid. We sat in the parking lot of that hospital for 2 hours practically attempting to get ahold of my ob to get advise. By this time we’re tired, and starving. Finally, my ob says that its likely that, because I am only 36 weeks and 4 days that no one will admit me without reason, despite my labor. Regardless of my history of babies that did NOT tolerate contractions, and that he will gladly admit me and take Sawyer, but he won’t be on at the hospital till the next afternoon (the 3rd) at 4. So he says go home if you can rest it out do constant kick counts, and see me at the county hospital at 4. He suggested I stop taking the contraction meds, and keep my labor going so that we can make this happen. We decide we’ll do that. And I head home with the kids in tow. The next morning I was exhausted, I hardly rested as I was contracting throughout the night, and absolutely miserable, of course! So, I eat a big breakfast knowing I will not be eating for awhile, and I get some cleaning done, and hubby and I kissed my sweet kids goodbye and headed for the hospital.

The triage room is far more packed this time, standing room only, people spilling out to the hallway. Pregnant women moaning in pain waiting for a chance to be helped. I immedialy tell them of my high risk situation, tell them that I am most absolutely NOT going to be sitting in triage and I need in a bed ASAP. For the next hour Jeremy and I wait in the hallway being told by security that we need to be in the waiting room, the hallway has to stay clear. But .. the only place for me to sit down was in the hall!! A young women, who I later found out was only 17 was yelling at her boyfriend while she sits in the hall in obvious pain and he is pissed she wants to stay, and he flat out leaves her there, calling her awful names. She’s bawling, and, the mother in me aches. She’s alone, in labor, or at least, in pain, and sits in a hospital corridor in tears. I sit next to her and ask if there was anything I could do to help her. She tells me she’s only 30 weeks (I thinkkkk), and that her boyfriend is mad she won’t leave he didn’t want to wait. Poor girl broke my heart.

Shortly after I was allowed into a triage room! SUCCESS … or … not. Jeremy cannot come with me. He has to wait in the waiting room (where I later found out he had an altercation with the security guard, …. Sigh). Another change in a tiny closet/bathroom, and there was blood on the floor … I’m in my socks and completely repulsed so I grab toilet paper, put my shoe back on and attempt to wipe it up … . nope, it was dried blood. I was grossed out! This was about 6 pm or so when I was finally hooked up to monitors and they had called the doctor. Doc said admit me. The hospital however did not have any room in the OR for me quite yet, so I had to sit or rather lay, in the bed for hours waiting … they actually offered to let me go and come back … yeah … right.

They told me I’d get in a OR around 11 pm. So I just waited .. and waited … I think 5 women … or maybe 4 were triaged in the time I laid there. One of whom was a Hispanic women who arrived to the hos. Right after me. She was behind me in the registration line. She had BARELY GOTTEN IN?! It was well after 9 I think, and I was there around 4. She laid in the bed next to me moaning … I thought WOW … I can breathe still … this women is in PAIN! The nurses come in, and they evaluate her, and find out she’s dilated to a 9, and was supposed to have a c sec! So .. there goes my 11 pm OR. Finally, at some ungodly hour ( I don’t remember when) They tell me it’ll be soon, they’re going to take me to another room to prep me. The wheel me right next to the waiting room where I spent so much time the week prior, and I see my husband. I want him WITH me…they assure me he can be by my side in a few short min. They put me in a room that was supposedly used for women post cesarean (three beds one tv blaring Hispanic soap operas that air at like.. 2 am or something). Jeremy joins me. I am so relieved. I am just bawling. I’m exhausted, and starving, I hadn’t had food or drink since 1230 that Wednesday, and now it’s around 2 ish (once again .. I think) on Thursday. The start doing the prep work for the csec. The cath goes is etc. They tell me any time ….. A women is put in the bed next to me. Just had a csection. She’s hysterical, sobbing screaming in pain, and although I’ve had two sections before, the magnitude of her pain struck fear in me. I was already extremely apprehensive to say the least, about the quality of care I’d receive at this hospital, but now to hear this. The anesthesiologist comes in and tells her nurses, I cannot give her more she needs to just deal. (Wait…..was this MY anesthesiologist? Why yes, yes he was).
Finally time comes, they take me in the freezing OR and make Jeremy wait outside … he’s pacing no doubt, as we are both riddled with fear. I meet the eyes of this ‘just deal’ anesthesiologist and they confirm that I do, infact, wish to have my tubes tied. I confirm, thinking I’ve never been so sure, I cannot do this again!!!
They have me lay down after the spinal and I am waiting waiting waiting to see my husband again. Finally, they let him back in the room.
The surgery has begun, and Jeremy attempts to look (as he did before with Quinny), he meets the eyes of every person in the OR scowling at him, how DARE he .. right? They take little man out, and he’s only a mere 5 pounds and 5 oz. and because I am 36 weeks and 6 days, they immediately assume he needs to go to the NICU, they show me his tiny face and there he went .. no kiss, no nuzzle, I make Jeremy go with them, Sawyer needed his daddy. It’s now after 5 am.
Next thing I know I’m being wheeled down floors to somewhere I am completely lost and turned around, I have no bearing as to where I am. Suddenly I am the only person in a HUGE ward, that I find out in the ICU, and because LD was soo busy, they put me there to recover … maybe it was best I wasn’t near the women howling in pain, but, who knows.
One nurse, and I, take up this rather large room and she urges I get some rest, I can see outside, I must be on the ground floor, I can see the sun is rising and I am dying of starvation, I see a clock, 6 something in the morning …. No food or drink since 12 30 the prior day, I BEG the nurse for some water. She denies me, tells me that incase I have to go back into surgery, I need to keep my stomach empty. I am shaking from the effects of the meds, and she finally gives me some demoral, and some morphine to help me. I ask her if she knows if my baby is ok, she doesn’t even know. My morphine filled mind is so confused, I can’t see my husband, or my baby, I’m completely horrified and scared b/c I knew he was taken to the NICU and I’m reliving my state of mind when Madison was born … I’m terrified of loosing him, and I didn’t even get to KISS him yet.

Well the hour or whatever time in recover goes rather smoothly, and I am wheeled to a room, thankfully only one roommate, and she isn’t there yet. Jeremy comes to see me… brings me his blackberry that possesses the closest thing I have to my baby. His picture. Boy was he simply the most amazing thing ever. So much like his bother and sister I longed to hold him, to nurse him.

Jeremy tells me that he’s being sure they know he’s only breastfed, and that he keeps reminding them to bring me a pump.
The next few hours are a blur …… the day passes and I wait to see him ……. Jeremy stayed with him most of the time, but he went home to sleep …. I was so upset .. my neighbor roommate had her baby … born early, like S, born only one oz. more then S, and yet she has her son, and mine is being chalked full of nutrients ‘in case he can’t suck yet’. They never even gave him the CHANCE!
I get asked if I am ready to go see him that evening …. Well hell yes I was! They said he was hungry .. GEE … really? The wheel me up to the NICU and say, no wheel chairs past this point, can you walk? Abso freakin’ lutely, give me my baby!!!

I went in, and hobbled my way to his bedside and my God he was the tiniest thing I had ever seen. I held him in my arms and nursed him right away … he was so amazing, so small, so … so everything I had waited three long painful years for. After an hour, they tell me I should go get some sleep they’ll call me when he wakes up again.

At that moment … I was so sad, I had to leave him, little did I know that it would be the first of many times while we were there.
They called me 2 hours later to go feed him, and my mothering instinct kicked in, I woke every two hours without their aide and made the treck to the nicu. The wooden ‘railing’ on the corridor helped motivate me as I took every painful step the first few feedings. I drug myself up … pulled and literally needed every fiber of my being. It hadn’t been that long since my surgery, but Sawyer needed to be fed, and fed he was!

The next few days were full of ups and downs, the ped was the ‘error on the side of caution’ kind, and put him on iv nutrients prior to seeing if he could suck, so he had to be weaned off of them, they had to make sure he didn’t have an infection (he didn’t). They put us in a sleep in room, the first night Jeremy stayed (as I wasn’t released yet), the remainder of the time I was able to stay with him. The sleep in room, like the rest of the county hospital was hell. I will try to elaborate later, this is very long.

December 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM
~*Lisa*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mysti thank you for sharing. I cried a little for you. How awful that hospitals like this still exsist. Its like some story from a third world country. There is so much love in your post too though, and i am just thankful that you are both ok, strong and healthy. Sawyer bean is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

December 10th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow I am sat here crying as once you got to the whole whisk them away and dont even give them a chance to eat just whack them full of what they call nutrients it all came back to me wow, so sorry you went through all that and that hospital needs closing down.

But Sawyer is such a great little boy who has come so far and has exceeded everything they expect from a preemie, Go Sawyer.

Thanks Claire1979 for the siggy

December 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Oh Mysti, thank you so much for sharing your birth story! I'm bawling over here for you. I wish I could give you an IRL hug! I hate that hospitals and doctors like that are still around and that you had to deal with it all on such a special day. Sawyer is an amazing little guy and we all know that he did so well because you are such an amazing and strong mom!

I hope that sharing your story helps you with your healing.

December 10th, 2009, 06:55 AM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Wow Mysti, I am just so sad reading this! I'm sorry that you had to put up with all their crap... What a horrible thing to do, taking him to NICU without even getting to meet his mommy! When I was still pregnant with Haydon, I actually had real nightmares of something like that happening to me , and the feeling when I woke up was the worst feeling I could ever imagine. Thanks for sharing this with all of us, I'm sure it was good for you to get it off your chest.

Last edited by .t.e.r.r.a.; December 10th, 2009 at 06:57 AM.
December 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
JennyluvsDilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your story. How incredibly terrifying! Sawyer is such an amazing little boy!

December 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
This pisses me off in so many ways i cant even tell you...sigh. However S is amazing and you and J are as well.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

December 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow Mysti...Im in tears reading this. What an awful experience that darn hospital made you have during whats supposed to be such a joyful time. Im glad Sawyer is so amazing and you guys are all doing well. Thankyou for sharing. I hope it helps you work thru that day.

December 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I don't have anything to add that the others didn't already say. I'm sorry you all had to go through this and I'm glad that getting it out is bringing you some much-needed healing.

December 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Add me to the list of teary-eyed ladies. That was a beautiful and heart-wrenching story all at the same time. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that situation. There shouldn't be hospitals like that in operation anymore. You guys are so strong for getting through all of this. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, I hope it is allowing you to heal from this awful hospital situation.

December 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you had that experience. However, thanks for sharing it with us and I'm so glad that you have little Sawyer...the one blessing that came from that horrible experience!

Thank you .t.e.r.r.a. for my amazing siggy!
December 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Mysti that must have been so awful, I can't believe they took him to the nicu for being small hugs to you and your amazing baby.
December 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing your birth story with us. Sorry to hear it was not the joyful time it should have been.

December 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sirvingmaicie
man alive, i just could picture that hospital from a horror movie. how awful to have to have went through that. you are all so strong. and i think i need another box of kleenex now too

December 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM
ShutterBabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow mysti only you could pull through a story like that! such a strong momma for an amazing little boy

December 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is horrifying. I was anxious reading it the whole time, I can't even imagine how you felt Mysti. You're amazing, so is your family. Lots of love

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

January 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh Mysti, I am so sorry that you had to go through such an experience with his birth! No one should feel so scared at the time of thier child's birth, it should be a joyous and wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing your birth story with us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search