Kadee and Samara's entrance to the world on Sept 29 2007

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Friday September 28 we were out at a friends place eating dinner, I had a few back pains/spasms on the way home but nothing was regular and I figured that I was just constipated (that kind of pain). I woke up at 1am on the 29th and the bed felt a little wet, I thought that perhaps I was that constipated that I'd leaked urine as I couldn't really identify the real smell it gave. I went to the toilet trying to relieve myself, I managed to do that but the back pain kept coming. So I decided to stay up for a little while and see if I had to go again. About half an hour later I went to the toilet again but the pains in the back kept coming. I then needed to pee and I discovered blood on the toilet paper. I rang the hospital at about 2.30am and told them that I had back pain that wouldn't go away, the bed was wet when I woke up and I've just had some blood on the toilet paper. They ummed for a bit and then said come on in even though they didn't think it was anything as I was only 25 weeks pregnant.

We got to our local hospital at about 3am and they stuck the monitors on my belly. The nurse told me that both babies seemed quite happy and that she could see something was going on but it wasn't major. She then left the room and came back and told me that she'd called my OB and he was on his way in to check me out even though she was pretty sure that I'd just get sent home and told to rest up.

When my OB arrived he did an internal exam and said the following "I have grim news for you, you're 4cm dialated and your bags are bulging. These babies are going to be born, I can't stop it, and only being 25 weeks ... its bad news, reality is they won't survive. I'm going to make some phone calls, see where we can send you but if they have to be born here ... " He then disappeared and started making his phone calls, I could hear him going through call after call and that he was starting to get angry with people. Meanwhile Brenden started to break down and I told him "we need these babies to make it". He then started to make the phone calls to our parents, he was trying so hard to be brave and not breakdown. Our OB in the mean time had stuck his head in and said that he had rung our state political leader and demanded they help find us a bed as all the hospitals had told him they couldn't take us. A couple of minutes later they rang back and we were on our way downstairs and out to the ambulance bay.

I was taken to the hospital I gave birth in by lights and sirens, according to DH we were doing 130-140km in 90 zones (he was tailing the ambulance in his car), taken straight to a birthing suite and handed over to another OB. My OB and a nurse from the local hospital had riden in the ambulance with me just in case I gave birth on the way as they believed it was going to happen soon. Even the hospital I ended up at believed it would happen soon, I believe I was 6cm by the time they examined me and I think that was around 4.30-5am. I was given a steroid injection immediately and had an u/s. I was told both the girls were head down and that we were going to go for a natural birth. I questioned her on that as I was under the impression that with premmies you had a ceaser to lesson the stress on the babies. She grimmaced and told me that it would make no difference at this age. She then told me that she would send a paediatrician in to talk stats with me. Brett the paed came in and told us that in babies that are 25 weeks it all comes down to their size, in babies that are over 1kg there is a 99% chance of survival, over 700g its 70% chance and 500g is 50%. He then said that a single baby at 25 weeks is normally only 750g but the fact that I was having twins they would be less than that ... I very stubbornly told him that I'd had a scan a few weeks before and they were spot on the correct size and weight so they'd be fine.

I was told that I was not having an epi just in case they needed to send me for a ceasar and instructed on how to use the gas. My contractions were coming faster and harder but they were still only in my back. They decided that they would give me some oxytocin to help things along even though they kept saying "not long now". The pain was getting worse and I was sucking on the gas pretty much non-stop now ... I blacked out and the only thing I could hear was "you need to p-p-p-p-p-p-p-u-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh" like how a stuck/jumping cd sounds. When my mind cleared itself my legs were being held up by a nurse and Brenden and he was holding my hand as well telling me how good I was doing. The nurse told me to push again and I did, she told me I had to push into my butt and that I would know when it was right and when to push ... my contractions were still in my back and I didn't feel a real desire to push so I basically went by when they told me, I eventually figured out that I was meant to push when I had back pain. When Kadee's head was through they told me not to push ... well thats when I finally had the desire to push and when I felt the pain was at its worst. Thankfully she was out soon after that. "Oh its a beautiful little girl, can you see her?" I said no, so they attempted to hold her a little higher so I could see that she was a girl but I still couldn't see and then she was gone.

My contractions moved to the front and I don't believe I've ever felt pain like that and I asked them if they were sure I couldn't have anything for it (they took the gas off me after I blacked out so that I could concentrate on what they wanted me to do), Brenden laughed, I'm sure he was thinking of all those shows we'd watched where the women in labour screamed blue murder for an epi and they were told it was too late. I was allowed to have the gas again. They had a look internally at where Samara was and she had flipped and gone up high, they decided to break her waters to see if that helped any. This may be TMI but, wow, I never thought it could gush like that. Samara stayed up high and they had a hold of her foot but she still wasn't moving and then the OB and a few other student doctors all said caesar together and I had a form thrust in my face to sign and I was off. I remember a face of a doctor over mine, the screen going up, the catheter going in (with no warning) and waking up. I got asked if I knew that it was two girls. Shortly after that they were wheeling me up to my room via the NCIU to see the babies. A couple of nurses started to talk the ins and outs of how the girls were doing but I really don't remember much of that I was in and out of it for the rest of that day and most of the next.

Kadee Elizabeth was born naturally at 8.08am and weighed 752g.
Samara Jayne was born by emergency caesar at 8.43am weighing 769g.

ETA the girls are 1 month old today and are doing way more steps forward then steps back. They truly are little fighters and have taken on mum's stubborn attitude and are thumbing their noses at the world.

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
October 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Incredible story Vicki. Thanks so much for shaing it. I'm so glad the little girls are fighting and doing we well so far. They are in my T&P every day! You're an amazing woman, hang in there!

October 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Littlemunster's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a wonderful and gripping first birth story, thanks for sharing it. You've got yourselves some adorable little fighters!

Lexie Yukina, my heart expands to love two<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNwrudb/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to girlegirl7101
Thanks for sharing your story, very cute little girls!
October 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
babieontheway's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to babieontheway
Aww thanks for sharing...Great Story.... I'm so glad the girls are doing so well
October 31st, 2007, 01:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to felissa
Thank you so much for sharing. I am so touched by your story. I think of them often and wish for more good news everyday.

October 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the Feb DDC.. what an amazing and uplifting story! im so happy ur girls are ok and i pray that they continue to make rapid progres!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">[/url][/url</MARQUEE>
November 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
becky_mommyof4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
popping in from Feb DDC just wanted to say congrats and sending my prayers for you and your girls

November 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
whatsupwiththis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to whatsupwiththis
Wow...that was for sure a gripping birth story. I love the happy ending. Your girls are beautiful little fighters and I am so thrilled for you that they are doing so well!

Keep us posted and show us pics! We love em!

Take care,

Kaija

Thankyou Yvonne for another gorgeous siggy!

http://rainbowsandponytails.blogspot.com/
November 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
StephaniePaige's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
Send a message via AIM to StephaniePaige
i was just popping in to see how the girls were doing! What a story!!
November 27th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Roni's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Roni
Wow, what an amazing story. They definately have thier mommies stubborness - thank goodness! Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search