Sebastian Xavier's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM
FloridaGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
On Friday December 7th I went to my regular Dr.'s appointment and right away was sent to Labor & Delivery. My blood pressure was sky high and there were high amounts of proteins in my urine. I was admitted and was told by my Dr. that they were starting me on steroid shots just in case they needed to deliver me. I went into panic mode at that time. I was only 33 weeks and 4 days and even though we were ready for "baby" to come (It was a surprise baby), I don't think that anyone is really ever ready. Over the weekend they worked on getting my blood pressure under control, and failed at every attempt. On Sunday I did a 24 hour urine collection and they said that the results on Monday would determined if I was going home for bed rest or about to deliver a baby!

Monday came, and at about 1pm there were 3 Dr.s and 2 nurses that all came rushing in. Of course that scared me more than anything. My main Dr. told me that I had Pre-eclampsia and that I was at high risk of having seizures...(mind you that I felt perfectly normal, no swelling and no headaches). The 3 of them went over every possible option and said the they HAVE to deliver within the next 24-48 hours. They gave me the option of an induction or c-section. I opted for the induction. They sent me for a biophysical ultrasound to check the baby and growth, before the induction. An hour later the Dr. came in and said that the baby is perfectly normal, but has not grown in 2 weeks...of course I started to cry. They assured me that everything was ok, but to expect and 3 1/2lb-4lb baby and that baby would need to be in the NICU for 2-4 weeks.

They started Cervadill at 2:30pm on Monday....at 2:30 am on Tuesday they began pitocin...12 hours later I had reached the Max levels of Pitocin and had not even dialated a single cm! URGGGG! They gave me an option of a c-section or another 24 hour round of Cervadill and Pitocin and the thought of laying in that bed for another 24 hours for nothing was just not going to happen. I opted for the C-section!

At 9:20pm, December 11th they finally rolled me into the operating room, 20 minutes later Adrian (DH) joined me and at 9:51pm we heard the words that we both had been dreaming about.... IT'S A BOY!!!! At 34 weeks to date Sebastian Xavier came out with a huge set of lungs, screaming his little heart out. The Neonatologist rushed him up to the NICU and Adrian followed. 15 minutes later the Dr. came down to tell all of us that he was 4lbs 3o.5oz and 16.5 inches long...bigger than anyone expected. Most of all Dr. told me that he was breathing on his own and would not need any assistance (except for feedings). It was a blessed day.

I spent about an hour in recovery while Adrian was up in the NICU taking pictures for me. Once I made it to my room they started me on a 24 hour dose of Magnesium Sulfate for seizures. (Shortly before the section my blood pressure hit 220/140...YIKES). The Magnesium is gross stuff and gave me flu like symptoms. I was pretty much confined to a hospital bed, puking my guts out. At 11pm on the 12th I was finally taken off the Magnesium and finally 27 hours after his birth I got to meet Sebastian for the first time. He was so tiny, but looked at me as soon as he heard my voice. I was able to hold him and kiss him. He had a feeding tube inserted but nurses were working with him and the bottle.

On Friday morning I was discharged from the hospital, without Sebastian. Talk about one of the hardest days of my entire life. Here you carry this life inside of you for 34 weeks, and half of that you feel his every move and now all the sudden he is taken from you and can't go home. Sad sad days. Over the next week and half, Adrian and I spent several hours a day in the NICU holding him and feeding him. He was making huge progress and was gaining 1 ounce a day. On the 21st we got wind from the Dr.s that he may be released in a couple of days. Although we did not want to get our hopes up, it was hard not to. On the 23rd we got the call...."Are you ready to come get your son?"....we were so ready.

Sebastian spent his first Christmas with us and it will always be one that we remember.

I will add that if I could do anything differently, I would have done the c-section to begin with so I could have met Sebastian a lot sooner. 4 days post section I was pretty much back up and around. Here 3 weeks post opt I am walking again (Dr. said only 1 mile a day, and well talk at the next appt. about getting back to my 3-4 miles)!!! So in all, I think c-sections are the easy route. I have a ton of respect for those that do it naturally!!!

My first visit with Sebastian in the NICU

First day home and of course first pug meeting (pug is Emma).

First Christmas Picture (he looks big in this picture..LOL)

First trip to the pediatrician

December 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to felissa
Thank you for posting your story. How scary to have to deal with all of that stress and him being so early. I am so glad that he was bigger than they thought and was breathing good on his own. He is so cute! It sounds like you are recovering well from the c-section.

January 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
thanks for sharing!
January 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
another birth story that has me crying my eyes out

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Mrs. S. Johnson
Awww! What a wonderful Christmas present to bring him home! Thanks for sharing!
January 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Thank you for sharing!! I'm so glad he's healthy and home already!
January 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
What a tramutic experience, but what a great end...a healthy baby boy!
Thank you for sharing your story!

January 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! Congrats! He is beautiful.
January 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
Congrats Sarina!! He is beautiful!
January 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
chellerenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved reading your birth story! I'm so glad that he got to come before Christmas! He's so precious!

Michelle

January 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from July DDC... Congrats! I had PE with my first son at 38 wks. I was induced and had the Mag Sulfate. That stuff is awful, I had all the side effects (but no puking thank goodness). So I know what you mean about going with the C. But I ended up going vaginal.

He's beautiful and I love the name!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search