Alyssa Rae's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We got to the hospital for our 6:30am induction, got checked right in and put in our room. I was so nervous about the induction, which was apparent in my blood pressure. My usual BP was about 100/60 and I was 146/94. No one said much though, so it must be kind of normal to have that kind of spike. The nurse had me get into a gown and asked me a whole bunch of questions, hooked me up to the monitors, put an IV in and then I waited for the doctor. He came in around 7:30, checked me and put the gel stuff on my cervix to start the contractions. I was still at a 2, 70% effaced and he told me my cervix was very posterior. Had I known that before, I would have been really nervous about the induction and may have not done it. It just didn't seem like my body was ready. But the gel was already in so there was no turning back. I had to lay there hooked up to the monitors for an hour, then they said I could get up and walk. About 15 minutes after it started, I got really light headed and hot. I don't know if it was a side effect of the gel or just nerves, but the nurse gave me a cool washcloth for my head and a little bit of oxygen. About 10 minutes after that, the baby's heartrate was dropping big time with each contraction. The nurse put the full oxygen mask on me and I started getting really scared I was about to have an emergency c-section. She ended up getting better though, so when my hour was up, they took the monitors off me and the oxygen. It was almost 9:00am and I was up to a 3, still 70%, still posterior and she was still really high. The nurse told me I could walk but the contractions were really getting to me and I couldn't get up. The pain was tolerable, but they were right on top of each other with cramping in between and I just couldn't get a break. My husband kept telling me to get my epidural, but with my first daughter, the epidural actually stalled my contractions and since I was only at a 3, I wanted to give it more time. I went until about 10 then asked for the epidural. It was in within about 15 or 20 minutes and by the time it was adjusted and working it was 11:00 and I hadn't made any progress. It didn't work as well as it did for me the first time. It definitely helped, but I was still feeling a lot of pressure with each contraction towards the butt/back which was because my cervix was so posterior. I tried to just relax for the next hour and nap, but I was so worried about her heartrate and my contractions stalling, I kept watching the monitors. Her heartrate was doing great, but my contractions did seem a little irregular. At noon the doctor came back in to break my water. I was up to a 4, 80% effaced and my cervix was now anterior, which I could feel because all the pressure was now towards the front. So it had taken 4 1/2 hours to go 2 cms. I figured this was really going to take a while! I tried to sleep again, but still really couldn't. At about 1:00 I started feeling more of my contractions. It was more than just the pressure and I thought the epidural was wearing off. Plus I kept feeling these big gushes with every contraction. My water was broken, but it seemed like a lot to be coming out every time and I was worried I might be bleeding or something. I called the nurse and she came to check me. My husband was in the bathroom so he had no idea what was going on. She checked me and said I was at a 9 and she would start setting up. My mom really wanted to be there for the birth, but when I called her an hour earlier I said I was only at a 4 and it would probably be a while. So I called her back, told her I was at 9 and she better be on her way. The nurse had left the room, my husband came out of the bathroom and I told him how far I was. Then after two more contractions I felt like I needed to push. I told him to find my nurse because I needed to push, but I don't think he believed me so he started joking around. I said he better get the f****** nurse or he'd be catching the baby. Then he knew I was serious! The nurse came back, put in another call to the doctor to make sure he was on his way then had me blow through my contractions until he was there. That was difficult! I had to do that through a couple of contractions, then the doctor was there and set up so I could push. Two pushes and she was out! She was born at 1:23 pm on December 31st. She was almost exactly the same size as my first one, but she seems so little to me. She was 6 pounds, 3 ounces, 19.5 inches long. She dropped down so late and I pushed her out so fast that she has a perfectly round head. Everyone kept telling me she looked like a c-section baby because her head was so round. She's breastfeeding great except I can't wait until my milk comes in because she still seems so hungry sometimes. She has her nights and days switched, but we'll work on that. I was really thinking this was going to be a really long labor, but it was less than 6 hours from when my contractions started with the gel until she was born. I'm having a bit of a tougher recovery than I did with my first. The cramps are definitely worse and it's a lot harder when you have a 17 month old running around. I'm sure we'll all adjust soon though.

January 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
congrats again on having your little girl

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search