Welcoming precious Kensley Nicol

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
So, you know we were told we had to be induced because of PIH, pre-E ... Turns out it was more PIH than pre-E but they were being cautious... My bp was fluctuationg between 150/100 and 135/88...and I am still quite swollen, but they say in a couple weeks, I should be back to my "normal" vitals (108/55 or so). I hope so!

Wed. 12/26 at 6:15 pm-- we checked into the L&D unit. Had the vitals taken and 1 of what was supposed to be 4 parts of a little pill (can't remember the name) inserted to help dilate/soften the cervix.

Wed. 12/26--DH went home at 9 pm, right when snow started, and at about 10:00 pm or so, the 2nd piece of the pill was inserted. We were supposed to get a decent snowfall, with negative temperatures, and we have Bauser and Jozie (furbabies) to care for, so we agreed for him to go home, since most first time moms can labor for 14 hours or more!

Wed. 12/26--Went to sleep at 11:00pm (no real contractions, same as "always") after working on a Teaming workshop that I have been meaning to update and advance. Nurses have been great, checking on me on occassion.

Thurs. 12/27 -- 1:00 am: girl next door was SCREAMING from contraction pain (I thought she was in labor, but was dilated 3 cm and going in contractions) so I woke up...

Started back asleep until... gush... WATER BROKE (naturally!!! ) at 1:30 a.m.

Because of this: no more little pill pieces, which meant they would watch to see how I progressed naturally for pitocin or not...

After that, I REALLY felt contractions. WOW!!! OUCH!!! For those who have delivered naturally: YOU ROCK!!!

Thurs. 12/27--At the 4:00 a.m. check on me, I was dilated 3 cm (only a tiny bit more than when I checked in), so I was so scared I would have to get pitocin and possible c-sec if all went wrong... I was in so much pain with contractions, I asked for the IV meds... for me: they did NOT work!

Thurs. 12/27--At 4:45 a.m., I was nauseaus and very shaky with the contractions, about to cry each time they came around, and I was crying because I did not want an epidural until I was 5-6 cm (again, thinking of reducing c-sec chances)... but I just COULD NOT do it any more! (the breathing and focusing was not working, although the nurses said I was doing much better than the other girls around who had been screaming by then) Remember... DH is home! I did not call him yet, because he was supposed to be here around 6:30 a.m. anyway, and I figured being only 3 cm, it would still be several hours til the "big dance."

Anyway, at 4:45 a.m., I got my epidural. Because of my height and spacing of spine, it took him several pokes to get it right (lasted through 3 contractions, so I had to be still through all 3!!! ) Very painful, but worth it

Thurs. 12/27--Then, heaven hit The epidural was GREAT for me!!! I called DH at 4:45 a.m. to come in. He got there at 6:00 am. I told him how it went and he seemed concerned I did not call him earlier, but I told him: "what we learned in class for you to do to help was NOT working, so, you would not have done anything but watch anyway, so I wanted you to be rested" What a great wife I am!!! B)

Anyway, when they checked me at 4:45 a.m.: I was 5 cm!!! I hit that goal and did not even know it

Thurs. 12/27--They checked me again at 6:30 a.m., thinking I would be about 7 cm. I was a 10!!! They were all freaking out at how fast I progressed. ME TOO!!! So, no pitocin or any other inducings except those 2 little pill pieces... They said it was almost as if I was not induced at all! In my mind, I wasn't

I could still feel the contractions but it was like pressure, so I was very happy that I could also feel this and know when to push. My doc was 20 minutes away and RACED over, very excited about my progression (she always said she knew I would be fast).

Then, they told me to push, and I did, 3 times!!! And out she came, "flying"... SCREAMING. I had merconium (sp?) in the water when it broke, so they were concerned about her lungs and all, until they heard how strong her lungs were!

I think I have 1 or 2 stitched from a tear, but not bad. I feel pretty good, just VERY tired.

Fri. 12/28: After multiple visits overnight from the nurses and staff to check on me and Kensley, and after a visit with the lactation consultant... Dr. Hovenga and the on-duty pediatrician cleared us both to go home. The nurse recommended waiting until later in the afternoon (to make sure Kensley was latching on) and when we were able to do this, we were on our way! We got home at 6:00 pm on Friday, 6 degrees out! The dogs were VERY curious and have warmed up to her nicely. The night was a little shaky with sleep (lack of) but as the days went on and we established a routine, it has become relatively "easy" to get several blocks of time in to sleep, in the day and at night!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. You don't know how much all that helped!!!

Update: Sun. 1/6/08:

Kensley eats like a champ. We still have to have the shield, but she is getting better and stronger with it. As for me: As you recall, I was on target for our goal weight gain of 25 pounds, until the PIH settled in. I eventually gained 39 pounds (14 in the last 3 weeks!). Well... on Tues. Jan 1, I weighed myself and I had lost 28 pounds. YEP, 28 of the 39! I weighed myself again today (Sun) and I lost another 5 pounds, so I am only 6 pounds away from my pre-preg weight (but certainly NOT my goal weight! )

My swelling has gone down dramatically, and the bp is getting back to normal. Milk has come in nicely, and we are pretty established in a routine. Kensley sleeps quite a bit. She is a pure angel, not fussy in the slightest. I could never have asked for a more beautiful, wonderful baby.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
amazing story gwynne!!

congrats again on your beautiful baby girl!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am just now catching up on birth stories. sounds like you had a very quick and smooth labor and delivery! congrats again on your beautiful Kensley!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Littlemunster's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story Gwynne. She is just gorgeous.

Lexie Yukina, my heart expands to love two<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNwrudb/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
What a great birth story!! You are too nice to your DH Gwynne! I would have been calling mine the minute my water broke screaming at him to get here ASAP Kensley seems like such a perfect baby!
January 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Carliegirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so inspired by your birth story. I want to keep a careful play-by-play like you did so that I get all the times and particulars down. Very helpful for remembering later.

Thanks so much for the lovely siggie Trish (mtdk454)!!!!
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTRLvVI/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search