Gavin Reid...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Super Mommy
December 9th, around 4 a.m. I am laying in bed and couldn't sleep for the past few hours when I felt a weird twinge. Didn't think much of it until I felt a little trickle of "water" run out of me. Then I thought, no way, this can't be happening it's too early. I had a thought to just try and sleep and this was all a bad dream. That lasted about 2 minutes then I thought I better get up and go to the bathroom, maybe I am leaking urine. Well I stepped out of the bed and "sploosh" water all over the floor. I said loudly "My water broke" Keith got up and I went to the bathroom and surprisingly we weren't too worried. We packed up a bag, let the dogs outside to the bathroom and left for the hospital.

Arrived there and they asked if my water broke, I said YES. They still had to check if it was my water even though it was still running down my legs and my pants were soaked. I was having some contractions but not too painful and I was not dialated at all when they checked me. My contractions continued and they sent me to labour and delivery where the OB on call told me if I didn't go into labour on my own that they would send me home, even though I had no water left and have a nurse visit me at home daily and have me on antibiotics. I was shocked, I thought if your water broke that's it, you must have the baby, apparently not!

Later I was tranferred to the Anti-Partum unit where I stayed until the 10th, still not regular contractions. Then in the morning another OB was on call, the one I saw for my appointments doesn't deliver, and she said we're going to induce today! I was so thankful, I was so worried about infection!

Around 2:30 p.m. they took me back to L&D and started the drugs to induce me and it started working fairly quick. I was having very painful contractions and I was only 4 cm so I had an epidural. I think it was around 10:30 that I was ready to push. I pushed for 3 hours without much progress and the pain was excrutiating, they kept giving me more meds in my epi but it wasn't working, something seemed wrong. The OB was in a C-section so she couldn't come check me out for awhile and the other Dr's and Nurses seemed worried and kept going to the operating room to see when she would be done. By then the baby's heart rate was dropping and they had to put the clip on his head to monitor him better and I was sucking back the gas because I was in so much pain.

Finally the OB comes in and checks me and said she'd have to use the forceps. Off they go to get the operating room ready and get the NICU people there and they wheel me in there....give me a ton more drugs through the epi until I'm frozen solid and Keith gets into the room all dressed in scrubs and in 1 second, out comes the baby, they yell it's a BOY!!! And he crys like crazy, I couldn't see him, they took him to check him out but brought him back and Keith held him...he is perfectly healthy even though born 5 1/2 weeks early! Had to stay in the NICU for 10 days because he wasn't eating well. Gavin Reid was born on December 11th at 2:06 a.m. at 6 lbs even, 19 1/4 inches (they told us 14.5 inches)!

Was very painful but worth it in the end as I have the cutest baby boy in the world, even though he won't let me sleep!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search