Sarah Leveda is finally here!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sorry this is kinda long!
ok. wednesday december 26th we arrived at the hospital around 5:45am. after checking in and doing all the necessary paperwork they hooked me up to an IV of pitocin around 6:30am.
check out how sweet our room was:

well a whole lotta nothing happened that day. i was having contractions regularly about 2-3 minutes apart, but nothing too strong or painful. i was comfortable enough to fart around on the internet for a while.

it was really annoying because my phone and df's phone were constantly ringing "is the baby here yet?" it was driving me nuts. i wasn't dilating past 2cm and i felt like saying "if the baby were here, don't you think you think you would have got a phone call by now? leave us alone!!" df's mom came by and hung out with us for a little while and then his dad showed up (lets just say i'm not his biggest fan) . i remember trying to take a nap and i was getting really ticked off because his dad kept talking and commenting on whatever was on the tv at the time. (hello! i'm trying to sleep here!) df's mom hinted to him that the baby wouldn't be here anytime soon so he went home and we continued to "hang out at the hospital." it was very frustrating, every time the nurse came into check my progression, i was still at 2 cm. the baby was also higher than she had been at my last appt. it felt as if she was trying to crawl back the other way! i guess she wasn't ready to come out that day. the doctor came in around 6 pm and decided it was time to stop the pitocin since they had me on the highest dosage and i wasn't making any progress. i was extremely disappointed to say the least. but luckily the doc didn't send me home. he decided to give me a pill (inserted vaginally - i forget what its called, but it helps soften the cervix) and he told me to order some food, take a shower, get some sleep and we'd see how much progress i'd make in the morning and then we'd go from there. i cried when he told me this, but was still happy that he didn't make me go home. so i ordered off the hospital menu ( i ordered a steak, tortilla chips w/ artichoke and spinach dip, and a huge chocolate chip cookie.) after i heard the bad news my mom arrived! so i got to visit with my mom for a little while and then she left with df's mom and df and i went to sleep.
the next day the doc came into to check me around 6 am. he said i was almost 100% thinned and decided to break my water. he stuck a long stick thingy inside me and i felt a warm gush of liquid and my mucus plug came out. thats when the REAL contractions started. within about 20 minutes the pain was unbearable. i got up to pee, sat on the toilet and decided that i didn't want to get up - it was the most comfortable position that i could find! after about a hour and a half of agonizing pain i decided it was time to get the epidural. while i was waiting df rubbed my back and i almost broke his hand from squeezing it so hard. epidurals are AMAZING! i give so much credit to any woman who can go through labor without it. then my mom and df's mom showed up and we all pretty much waited around and watched tv until about 3 pm, the nurse came in to check me again and i was finally at 10 cm!! at 3:15 they kicked my mom and df's mom out of the room and it was time to push. at 3:50 the doctor came in and the nurse asked "so what time will this baby be here?" he looked at the clock and said "4:23." the nurse held my right leg while df held my left leg. df swore he wasn't going to look "down there" but when it came down to it, he did and he was a great coach, he constantly told me how much he loved me and what a great job i was doing. he told me he could see the top of her head and that she had dark hair. the doc felt around down there and told us that her head was coming out on a funny angle and he would have to use the plunger/suction thingy to assist in getting her out. so he pulled while i pushed and the plunger popped off and df started freaking out....apparently there is a little sponge that is inside the plunger and it came off and stuck to the top of the baby's head. he didn't know it was a sponge and thought it was the baby's bloody brain! he thought the plunger had ripped off a piece of her scalp! i know it was terrifying at the time, but we joke about it now. the doc said "well that never happens!" and put the sponge back in the plunger thing. finally at 4:24 i pushed for the last time! ( the doctor was off by just 1 minute!) i felt her slide out and the doctor held her up so that i could see her. i started to cry, i couldn't believe that she was finally here!! df cut the cord and they took her to the other side of the room to get her cleaned up. "go get the camera!" i told df.

she came out with a cone head b/c of the plunger thing:

while they cleaned her up and did whatever it was that they were doing i asked the doc to show me my placenta which was pretty cool looking. then he stitched me up. i tore in 2 places.
it was 20 minutes before i finally got to hold her! i was crying the whole time, but when they finally gave her to me i was bawling. i was just so incredibly happy and overwhelmed!

my first words to her were "there you are!"
after only 5 minutes of holding her some woman from the NICU told me that Sarah had inhaled a bit of amniotic fluid and needed to be put on oxygen for about an hour. i was sad b/c i wanted to hold my little girl, but of course i handed her over because i needed to do what's best for my Sarah. so they took her away, put her on oxygen and gave her a bath.

finally they brought her to me! i was still crying, but not as much. i told my mom and df's mom that they could come back into the room, but i didn't want anyone else to! i really just wanted be alone with Sarah and df really.

<--me and my mom
once my mom and df's mom left it was so nice to just be alone with my new family. i cried a lot of happy tears that night. i never knew i could love someone so much. i really love my little Sarah with all my heart, and her birthday was the happiest day of my life.

Sarah Leveda
born 12/27/07 @ 4:24pm
6 lbs 5 oz 19.5 in

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Littlemunster's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome story! Kickin room! Your food sounded way better then mine! She is just gorgeous, you should be proud.

Lexie Yukina, my heart expands to love two<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNwrudb/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I love your story, especially the pictures inserted throughout! Congrats again on Sarah!! She is too cute

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search