John Caleb - 1/8/08

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM
jenn2350's Avatar Veteran
On Monday I was at my parents house hanging out with my mom while DH was at work. I didn't really feel any different at all and went to go use the bathroom. At first I thought I had just peed on myself (sorry...) because it wasn't a big gush or anything it was just trickling. Then I got to thinking that it could be my water breaking. I went and asked my mom what she thought and by that time more was coming out and it was soaking my pants. She told me to call the doctor and see what they thought.

I called and she told me to come on in and get checked. I called DH and he came and got me and we went to the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitors and asked all sorts of questions. She did the strip test and it was positive that it was my water. They admitted me and we had to wait until a labor room opened up.

I had started having a few contractions by then, but nothing major. A room opened up about 30 minutes later and we were moved. I was hooked up to all the stuff in there and was checked by the nurse and was about 2 cm still. I had started to have some contractions, but they weren't bad.

Here's a few pictures of us waiting once in the labor room...

Me and my ice chips

DH's friend

My best friend and DH

DH

I kept waiting for a nurse to come in and check on me and it took 5 hours for someone to even come see me!! I wasn't in pain, but I was pissed someone hadn't even come check on me.

She checked me again and I was still 2 cm and my blood pressure started getting high. She had me lay on my side and that's when the contractions started getting bad. I wasn't allowed to get up and walk around because my water had broke and the baby was still high so they were worried I could have a gush and his cord would get wrapped around his neck.

She had me turn from side to side every 30 minutes to try to get him to come down a little. She checked me again about 3 hours later and I hadn't progressed at all. She said there is an 18 hour window after your water breaks before they have to start worrying about infection. They started me on pitocin to try to speed things up, but because I was laying down I went another 4 hours without progressing at all and the baby was starting to not do well. They took me off the pitocin and by then I was so tired and in pain I decided to get the epidural.

They gave it to me and it was much better. About an hour later I had progressed to about a 5 and was about 80% effaced. I was not doing well because I was having to lay down, but the epidural seemed to help my blood pressure.

By the time shift change happened I was sooo glad because I hated my nurse. The new nurse asked me how long I had been in that position and I told her pretty much the whole time. She sat me up in bed and then my contractions started getting bad again and the epidural was wearing off.

My blood pressure had started to get high and the baby's heartrate dropped so they started me on oxygen and had me lay down. The next time I was checked was about 2 hours later and I was between 8-9 cm. I believe it was just from changing position and it helped alot.

My doctor was called in when I was at 9 cm because the baby's heartrate kept going up and back down. She decided I was fully effaced on one side, but I still had a little cervix left on one side. She decided to have me start pushing to try to bring the baby down..

I pushed for about 30 minutes and Caleb was born at 10:06am.

My time line might be a bit off, but from the time my water broke to the time he was born was 21 hours. It was 3 hours past the window for infection so they gave us both antibiotics just in case.

He was 7lbs 4oz and was 19 inches long.

Proud daddy

Proud mommy

January 15th, 2008, 08:33 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Congratulations on your little boy!! I'm sorry you didn't like the first nurse, but all in all it sounded like a good delivery
January 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your birth story! He's very precious!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search