Welcome Hunter James!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Alicia2008

After being one week overdue in a high risk pregnancy, my doctors advised that we not wait any longer after another ultrasound and a NST. The ultrasound showed no breathing movement(which is not as bad as it sounds) and a maturing placenta. The NST was not reactive in the first 20 minutes, so they had to run a longer one with some prompting to wake my baby boy up. My cervix was not favorable at all...thick and closed...so we discussed our options.

My doctor strongly felt that if I were induced with an unfavorable cervix, it would lead to a c-section, and did not want to put the baby through any undue stress, so we decided to schedule the c-section as soon as there was an opening...it was not an emergency, but they didn't want me to wait much longer. I went home that Friday afternoon and was told I was scheduled for Sunday morning. I had hoped that my cervix would begin to progress before Sunday naturally. No such luck, when I arrived at the hospital that morning, there was no change at all.

The nurse checked me in and went over the usual routine of questions, and I met with the anesthesiologist to discuss the procedure. My doc came in to check on me, and before you knew it, we were ready to go. I was really nervous about the c-section and not really knowing what to expect. It felt so weird to me to have the baby so quickly with out an warning signs...

My husband had to wait outside while they administered the spinal block. When I arrived in the operating room, I was surprised at the relaxed atmosphere...music was playing and the anesthesiologist was singing along...The nurse was really comforting and had me put my head on her shoulder as the spinal block was administered. No problems there...they quickly put my legs up and began to check to make sure it was working.

My husband was able to come in at that point. I think the anesthesiologist was happy because he was comforting me because my upper body was shaking so badly (partly due to the temp. in the room and partly due to being so scared!) My husband quickly came to my side and they placed a sheet above my shoulders. The doctors were talking football since it was Sunday and the music was still playing, which was relaxing to me...

Once I was numb they were able to begin the procedure. It was so fast! My doctor made the incision and another doctor was there to push the baby out. I felt slight pressure. They allowed my husband to peek over the sheet was they were pushing the baby out. The first thing they commented on was how much hair my baby had! Then, they said, "It's a boy!", which we knew. They showed him to me right away and I was completely in shock! He was so beautiful! My husband went with the nurse while they weighed, measured, and cleaned him up a bit, and then brought him to me. I have never been so in love in my entire life! All this happen to the song "Piano Man" by Billy Joel...lol. We joke now because Hunter has really long fingers that he will be a great pianist some day!

While the doctor's stitched me up, my husband left with the nurse and the baby to bath him and show him to my family waiting outside. I went into the recovery room and before I know it they were back with my baby and I was able to breastfeed him. He did really well to start! I was a little nauseous and it was difficult throwing up after having an incision in my stomach and uterus, but they did give me medication for that and I felt a lot better by the end of the night.

Then we all got to our room. The baby stayed with us the entire time! The nurses were wonderful and took great care of me. I was so glad that the baby stayed with us the entire time because by the time we got home, we felt very comfortable with our newborn. I have to say the circumcision was horrible and my little one didn't feed well the day of and they day after. His birth weight was 8 lbs. and he dropped to 6 lbs. 12 oz. They wanted to supplement with formula, but I asked if I could try pumping since my milk was just starting to come in. I pumped and did surprisingly well! I felt so bad when we gave him the bottle because he sucked it down in 30 sec. I felt like I was starving my poor boy! His weight did get back up to 7lbs. 3 oz before we were released.

My stay was a little longer than expected due to some complications with the medicine they were putting me on for my blood clotting disorder. I was finally released on Friday and we have all been doing great ever since!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search