Caroline's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I went into the hospital first thing Monday morning and was transfered to a larger hospital Monday afternoon. I spent a few days on hospital bedrest and getting tests done. Then on Wednsday I started showing signs of an infection so they decided to go ahead and induce me. I was actually relieved because I felt that something was wrong, and all the waiting and watching was making me nervous. I didn't want her to be born so soon, but I'd rather her be born a little earlier than to be born with a massive infection.

Once they made the decision to induce me things moved very quickly. About 6pm they inserted a balloon into my cervix that was supposed to dilate me two centimeters. They also started a pitocin drip at that time. I rapidly began to have hard contractions every 2-3 minutes. I called my nurse to ask if that was normal and she said yes - so much for early labor! My dh arrived around this time too and I was very glad to see him. After only 30-45 minutes the balloon fell back out. They called the doctor to check me and she found I was already 4 centimeters.

Around this time I started asking for pain meds because I felt like my contractions were just never ending. They wouldn't let me have anything except an epidural because they didn't want it to effect the baby. And since my blood pressure was low I had to have an IV bag of medicine before they would call the anesthesiologist. When the nurse hung the bag I wanted to cry because it was HUGE. You have no idea how long 30 minutes can seem unless you are having contractions every 2-3 minutes. Soon enough though it was in. And after they called the anesthesiologist it only took him 4 minutes to come down. I loved that man! Unfortunately though it took a really long time to get the epidural in, and the first one didn't work so he had to start over. I think he gave me a low dose medication because I still had full movement of my legs and could feel the contractions - it just took a lot of the edge off.

So maybe another hour passed and by then my contractions were becoming very painful again. I asked for some more medication in my epidural which they gave me. I don't know if that was worth it thoug, because I don't think it fully kicked in till AFTER the birth, about when I wanted to get up, lol. They sent the doctor in to check me again and I didn't think I had progressed much. To my suprise I was already at 9 centimeters and the baby's head was very low. Her heartbeat was dipping with each contraction so they wanted me to go ahead and try to push right away.

Since she's a preemie I had to be taken to an operating room beside the NICU to deliver. Once there she came soo fast. Two pushes - could have been one if they hadn't screamed "Stop!!" Everyone seemed surprised, but I really wasn't. This was my third baby after all and she was so tiny. My epidural hadn't really numbed me pelvis at all so I could feel everything during this phase. It did hurt but it was kinda neat being able to feel her crown and everything too - so much different than if you are completely numb.

After she was born they laid her on my tummy which was a nice suprise - we had been told to expect them to take her immediatly. She was the smallest baby I had ever seen. Unbelievably small. She looked perfectly formed in every way though - just miniature. She reached out and grabbed hold of my gown with her little fingers - it was like she was saying she wanted to stay. She also gave out a nice strong cry to let us know that she was okay.

After she went to the NICU it took me like another 20 or 30 minutes to deliver the placenta - I thought I was never going to get out of that room! All these people were coming and going and telling me congratulations - while I'm still up there spread eagle on the table, lol. Finally they took me to recovery where I stayed maybe another hour and a half. DH helped me get up to go potty and I peed so much. So that is my labor tip for you - make sure you empty your bladder as much as you can. Mine is still bothering me today, I think it must be all stretched out or bruised or something. I also started to feel very nauseated, from the epidural wearing off I think.

Once we left recovery I was able to go to the NICU and see baby Carrie. She was doing so well, we were very thankful. I was mad though because I just felt too sick to stay more than a few minutes. I felt like I was going to get sick and everything was just spinning. So dh took me to my room upstairs and then came back down to visit alone later on. We were discharged first thing this morning, but we'll be going back to visit her again tommorow.

Here are a few pictures of our tiny little princess. I love the way she is laying with her legs flopped over her pillow - she looks so comfy!

Right after birth

In the Nicu

January 31st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Sebastians_mom
I am in tears reading this, she is so beautiful and I am so happy she is doing well. I am glad you got to be discharged this morning like you wanted, I hope she has the shortest NICU stay possible and is home with her family soon.
January 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Tonya_Ashlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an awesome story! I will be praying for you and your family!
January 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM
KandA0418's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
she's a beauty!!!! so glad your doing so well!

[/URL]
January 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Hon, she is AMAZING!!! I think that so many of us are probably looking at her pics right now thinking... that's my baby! She's so tiny but so incredibly perfect! God has been good to you already... he will get Carrie through this! You just hang tough & stay strong for your little girl.

(Can I suggest a sub-forum??? Looks like we need one to start birth stories!)
January 31st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the May DDC. Congratulations....she is beautiful.

January 31st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on having a beautiful, healthy baby girl! My prayers are still with you!

January 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Oh Claire she's beautiful... I'm SO glad she is doing well!
January 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to OurJoy
Congratulations! She and you are so amazing! Seeing your little girl makes me thing of the lil one growing in me!

She's a cutie!

Happy Mother's Day!
January 31st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ALP Send a message via Yahoo to ALP
What a great birth story, she is beautiful!

January 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM
4boys
Thanks for sharing, Claire! I hope everything goes as well as possible and Carrie has a very short NICU stay!
January 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Sandy2986's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sandy2986
im glad everything is fine! shes adorable!! thanks for sharing your birth story! i loved it!!

*Thanks Steph2007 for the Adorable Siggy!*

Add me on Myspace!

Have A Lil' Girl? Check out These!
January 31st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Lozzy_Macca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW you are so brave to go through all of that! You should be so proud of yourself and I'm sure I can say for everyone on JM that we are just as proud of you for staying so strong for your little one through this hard time. She looks absolutely amazing and so little and precious. Just a little miracle baby Carrie is and I haven't stopped thinking of her. Such a fighter.

Hope you are feeling a little bit better so you can go spend some time with her, look after yourself and Carrie and hope to hear an update soon.

January 31st, 2008, 04:04 PM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrutulations!! I hope she continues to get stronger! She's beautiful.

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>
January 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is so beautiful and perfect! Your labor sounds very hard, being so short and strong like that. You did wonderful, mama.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Julka
Congratulations Claire, she's so beautiful! You're right, she's perfect in every way!
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures
January 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
She is so beautiful !! Many Prayers for all of you !

January 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh she is just perfect in every single way!!! I'm so glad she is doing good and hope that her stay in the NICU is short & uneventful. CONGRATS on a beautiful little girl!!!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Baby To Be Due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

January 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Aw Claire!!!!!!!!! She is so beautiful!!!!!!!

I am so glad that she is doing good!!!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
January 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Claire, Carrie is just so beautiful and perfect. I hope her stay in the nicu is short and uneventful.

Quote:
Hon, she is AMAZING!!! I think that so many of us are probably looking at her pics right now thinking... that's my baby![/b]
I know that's what I was thinking.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search