Aidan's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Aidanís Birth Story

Name: Peter Aidan Prieur

Birthday: January 14, 2008

Time: 9:03AM

Weight: 8lbs 1oz

Length: 20 Ĺ ď

Scheduled c-section due to transverse lie and pre-existing fibroid

I will start this story 4 days prior to Aidanís arrival. It was my regularly scheduled check up with my OB on Friday morning, January 10<sup>th</sup>. I arrived to find that my doctor was not available because his wife had a baby the night before. She delivered 4 weeks early and would be in the hospital for a few days. There was another doctor sent to cover appointments that day, which has happened in the past so I wasnít concerned. Then it hit me, that perhaps I would not have my own OB for my scheduled c-section that coming Monday. That made me very anxious since one of the biggest positives I focused on after having found out I would need a c-section (transverse lie with a fibroid), was knowing Iíd have my own doctor who knows me, my history and my situation. I asked the nurse if he would be around on Monday and was told no, that he was taking one month vacation and another doctor would be doing my surgery. I was upset, but really itís one of those things you canít do anything about. As it turned out, when I got into see the substitute doctor, he told me that my doctor had called him that morning to say he would do my surgery on Monday himself. Relief!

That weekend before my c-section I was quite anxious. I was lucky to have my brother and his wife visiting that weekend. We had made plans to attend the boat show months ago and kept those plans. Iím glad we did, it sure helped to fill in the time. My birthday was on the Sunday, January 13<sup>th</sup> and we all went out for dinner and I had a nice big meal before my fasting for the next day kicked in. Here is the last picture of me taken pregnant at my birthday dinner going through the restaurantís standard celebration:

Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 800 ] - Click to view full image

Monday morning came very early for me. I just couldnít sleep. I woke up at 4:00am and just puttered around the house. We needed to leave for the hospital at 6:00 so there wasnít too much time to wait around. The drive in was easy and relaxing and we arrived at the hospital right on time at 7:00am. When I went to check in, I was told they were expecting us at 6:00am. That was news to me. Evidently the woman scheduled to go into the OR before me had her baby over the weekend so I was now first up. Only problem is they forget to call and tell me and even worse, they forgot to tell my doctor. Fortunately, he had spent the night in his wifeís hospital room with their new baby, so he was easy to track down.

Things started to go in a great whirlwind then. They were bound and determined to get me through and ready to go as quickly as possible. I was sent to triage and by 7:30 had all my blood tests done, IVs in babyís heart rate checked. About that time, one of my anesthesiologists came in to talk to me. He explained what was going to happen as far as the spinal was concerned. He said that the pain of the needle is similar to that of getting your mouth frozen for dental work and that the effect would kick in very quickly. He assured me that he would be with me there the entire time and to tell him whenever I felt something wasnít quite right. He was so amazing and he kept true to his word. I donít think Iíll ever forget what he looked like, he spent a good portion of the time keeping eye contact with me to ensure I was okay.

I lose track of time here, but somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00 I was taken to the OR. They just had me sitting on the table and there was lots of activity going on around me. My husband was sent to get changed into his scrubs and asked to wait outside until they were ready to begin. I remember my OB coming in to say hello and ask how I was doing. It was a big funny because he just strolled right into the room and about 3 steps in said ďOh, I guess I should have my mask onĒ laughed and went back out and re-entered. I joked about him being sleep deprived and asked how his baby was doing. It all seems a bit odd now, but itís one of the funny memories I took away from the experience.

Now it was time for the spinal. They had me sit on the edge of the table and hunch over so that my back was rounded. They then washed my back with a very cold liquid 3 times and then the needle. It wasnít bad at all, it sort of felt like a bee sting. Then I sat for a minute and I could feel them doing something else back there. Turns out the first needle didnít get quite do it so I needed a second needle. Thatís when I felt my legs start to numb quickly and within a minute or two they had my legs up on the table and prepping my stomach for the incision.

At this point, they allowed my husband into the room. He sat down right next to my head on his stool and looked the most nervous Iíve ever seen him. It was around this time that I started to cry and I couldnít stop. I had been shaking since they brought me into the room, but then the waterworks opened up. They put me on oxygen because I was taking shallow breathes with all the crying. The next 10 minutes felt like an eternity. I couldnít make out what my OB was saying on the other side of my chest curtain. My anesthesiologist kept trying to calm me down, as was my husband, but he was so nervous himself. I felt like so much time was passing and my husband said it had only been 5 minutes. Then I started to think something was wrong and he said it was only 1 minute later than the last time I asked. Then I hear my doctor order 2 units of blood to have on standby and the two anesthesiologists went to work on getting a 2<sup>nd</sup> IV started for me ďjust in caseĒ. I asked the very nice anesthesiologist what the heck was going on and he assured me it was all precautionary. My OB was ready for the final incision by the IV wasnít ready. To speed things up, they just froze my hand and then dug around with the IV. I remember hearing ď3 more secondsĒ and then giving the OB the go ahead to proceed. He then told my husband to get the camera ready to shoot, it was time! About 10 seconds later I hear ďItís a boy Ė but I canít tell you if heís good looking or not. All I see is his bum and partsĒ. That made me laugh!

Next thing I know, baby is out and he gets whisked over to the table to get cleaned up, weighed etcÖ My husband and I were both crying at that point and all I wanted. I wanted so desperately to see what was going on so my husband pushed the curtain forward just far enough for me to see my son. I told my husband to get over there and get pictures but he was so torn between staying with me and seeing our boy he didnít know what to do. At one point he was holding my hand with one of his and had the camera up in the air just randomly shooting pictures. One of the doctors finally told him theyíd take care of me and to go get the photos he wanted.

Aidanís first close-up:

Reduced: 64% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image

The official weighing:

Reduced: 64% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image

Then finally the moment I had been waiting for, within a minute or two our son was brought over to us for my husband to hold up next to my face. The emotions at that point I canít even begin to describe. After so many years of trying to have a baby and so many IVF treatments to get to this point I was in total shock that I was laying there looking at our son.

Our anesthesiologist took our first family photo for us and I absolutely love it. It captures the moment and the emotion perfectly.

Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 800 ] - Click to view full image

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search