Sebastian born February 25th

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Sebastians_mom
I am not sure if my due date buddy got my message, I just got home from the hospital this afternoon and wanted to post something. I am pretty exhausted at the moment so I am just going to copy an email I sent out to all my family last night. Today Sebastian was up to 3.3 pounds (i am not sure how much of this is fluid etc) and they have turned down the oxygen on his vent a little. I'll catch up on all the post reading later. Hope everyone is doing well.

I figure rather then responding to emails 1 at a time and hoping all the phone call conversations I have had have been passed along, I would write one big thing for everyone to read.

I had a headache Monday morning when I woke up and my little baby 'girl' was being a little on the quiet side, so Monday afternoon I figured I would call my OB and ask the nurse what she thought, she said I should go to the ER just to be on the safe side. Not sure why I got sent to the ER because as soon as I walked in they sent me to Labor and Delivery (which freaked Mike out) I knew it wasn't going to be a fun trip as soon as they told me my blood pressure was 190/130. Hearing the words "your bp is high enough to have a stroke or seizure so we are giving you some pretty strong IV meds" isn't the nicest thing in the world! So they went on too say that they were giving me a steroid shot for the babies lungs because they may have to deliver in the next few days, que Mike freaking out a bit more, I sent him off to get an International calling card, figured it would be nice to call mum and let her know I might be having a baby in a few days!

About 30 minutes later 2 Doctors walk in, both seem to remember me from my OB clinic (mostly my accent) they sit down to do an U/S of my little baby 'girl'. I knew it wasn't going that great when they had to use this buzzer thing on my stomach to get the baby to move, they tried 4 times with no success, I could see 'her' heart beating so I was trying to be calm, maybe she was just sleeping? They called in the Dr who I guess was in charge for this shift, he seemed to remember me too, in fact he was the one who did my 20 week U/S and told me I was having a baby girl!! I didn't realise this at the time. I heard them talking about how my amniotic fluid levels were really low and it looks like baby might be gasping, they all leave the room. About 5 minutes later one of my favourite dr's comes back and says I am having a c-section, Mike asks if it will be in the next few hours and if he has time to get some dinner????? She said we would have a baby in less then 30 minutes. She was right, within seconds there were 10 people in the room, sticking me with drugs, cords, and doing all kinds of things that have totally destroyed any modesty I once had.

For anyone who has experienced it before Magnesium Sulphate is not the most pleasant drug to be pumped with, they asked me if I was ready to feel terrible when they injected it, I wasn't that ready. I almost passed out and I thought my head was going to explode. All I remember is being wheeled into the operating room, the anaesthesiologist joking that he hopes we deliver a baby and not the ham and cheese sandwich I had for lunch. I remember the Dr having her arm around me, not sure if it was because I was sobbing like a baby or because she was trying to hold me still while the did the spinal, either way I remember saying sorry that I got snot on her scrubs, she asked me if all Australians were so polite. So I am numb from the waste down, by the way, not being able to feel your feet is a horrible feeling, all I wanted to do was move my toes! They let Mike come in the room, I guess at that point he was kind of freaked out because there were about 20 people there between the neonatal team and the nurses etc. All I remember from this point is puking from the pressure of them tugging and pulling, either that or the drugs they gave me for the high bp, the anaesthesiologist proceeded to make another joke about the ham and cheese sandwich I had for lunch. Then I hear the male Dr who told me at my 20 week U/S I was having a girl say "oh wow we have a baby boy" Then Mike was like "did you hear that? What are we going to name him?" Apparently I mumbled something about William and passed out. I don't remember anything else other then waking up being moved into post op, it was about 45 minutes later, apparently they gave me some medication to put me to sleep while I got stitched up.

I was going to be in post op a while and we knew they had rushed OUR BABY BOY to the NICU, so Mike went to get some dinner with his brother who was nice enough to bring a calling card to the hospital. I managed to find out over the next hour that the baby only weighed 2 pounds 11 ounces and wasn't breathing when they pulled him out, he was put on a vent pretty much right away and I don't really know anything else about the birth. A few hours later they let Mike go see him in the NICU, I asked if he could take a photo, he came back with 3 that they had printed off for me which made me happy. He has LOTS of dark hair, and at this point those photos are the only time I've ever seen him with his eyes open, he also looks much bigger then when you see him in real life. Some time around there we managed to let both sides of grandparents know what had happened and I passed out again.

I've been in the hospital 3 days now, it has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do ever. Physically it is ok, I think I am doing well, emotionally it's been rough. I wasn't allowed to see baby Sebastian William for 24 hours because of the magnesium IV that was making me pretty sick. I wasn't really prepared to see him so small with so many cords and tubes, but he really is cute in my opinion! It has been hard to get information out of people, the nurses only tell me how much oxygen he is on and whether or not he is sedated so he can rest, the usual post delivery dr's come in every morning to check my scar and charts, the nurses check my bp and give me drugs. I managed to have 2 conversations with the neonatologist who is basically the dr who is in charge of the baby, both times left me confused because I didn't fully understand what he was saying.

Finally today the dr who told me all those weeks ago I was having a girl, then told me I had a boy, came to visit. I was pretty upset at the time because they made me leave the NICU so they could 'drain fluid' from Sebastians stomach to help his lungs expand. Anyway this nice dr actually sat down and talked over everything from what happened before the birth, during the birth and what is going on now in the NICU. We talked for maybe an hour and I feel much better about everything. They say I had severe Pre-eclampsia, but even with that they think something else happened that made things go bad. Firstly the baby looks like he probably stopped getting enough blood to grow bigger about 3-4 weeks ago. While his neuro development and other things seemed fine on the U/S he had today, his weight and lung maturity are only measuring that of a 28-29 weeker, when he should have been 32 weeks. They thought it may have been the pre-e that caused this and they figured it was that that made him stop responding before he was delivered. Now they are thinking it is possible I have some kind of virus that was passed on that made both of us pretty sick, it is just a matter of figuring out what that is. It seems whatever it is he still has it now and its causing some fluid that they had to drain to make rooms for his lungs to expand (which worked well). They will be running more tests on both of us over the next few days trying to figure out what happened. This Dr (I feel bad I don't even know his name) said the kindest words I have heard in the last week. He said he went to see Sebastian yesterday and he had his eyes open, he said in the 30 years he's been doing this he can usually tell by looking at the way a baby is looking back at you how well he is doing. He told me he could tell Sebastian was alert and knew what was going on and even though I've never seen him with his eyes open he knows I am here. I am not sure how much any of it means, but it meant a lot to me and maybe I will be able to get some sleep tonight!

I am pretty tired and sore but I wanted to let everyone know that we are doing ok, well except Dishes who apparently misses me like crazy.

For some reason my baby stopped growing at around 28-29 weeks, they still don't know if it is the pre-e that caused this, when they delivered him the dr said there was so little blood passing through the umbilical cord and my placenta was very small. I am still so confused though, the neonatologist told me he was sick, he had some infection that he was born with, but he was doing well and they would give his chances of survival around 90%. I saw him before I left the hospital on Thursday and the nurse said he was doing well, he looked so cute, I was allowed to hold his hand and he moved his fingers when I talked to him. I called to see how he was at around 10pm on Thursday to get an update before I went to sleep, the nurse said they had changed the kind of vent he was on and he was responding well. We got a phone call at around midnight, his dr said he had gone downhill fast and they were transferring him to a different hospital that could give him Nitric Acid to relax his lungs. We headed to the new hospital to meet them there. By time he arrived at the hospital he had coded and they had to work on him for some time to stabilize him. Eventually we were allowed to sit with him, at around 5am my husband and I went to a discharge room to get some sleep. At 6 the nurse came rushing in and said we had to go straight to the NICU. When we got there the dr said he had coded again and was bleeding internally and they had tried everything they could but there was nothing they could do anymore. They asked me if I wanted the vent turned off but I couldn't do it, so I held him in my arms, about 30 minutes later he passed away.
February 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Julka
Wow!!! And we were just trying to predict who's going to have our first baby boy!

Congratulations to you!! That was an amazing birth story, and I am so sorry you had to go through so much emotional & physical stress in such a short period of time. Plus, unexpected. It sounds like your little boy is doing well though and is making good progress. I hope you're recovering well, as well. Thanks for sharing your story!
February 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
aprilmiracle's Avatar Single Mom to Birk
Oh wow, what a birth story!! Congrats on your little man, take care of yourself and can't wait to see some pictures!!

February 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
WOW! Well first BIG CONGRATULATIONS! We can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful little man.

I am sorry you've been through so much - but it sounds like there's a great team there with you who are going to get to the bottom of this and keep your little one packing on the pounds and getting bigger and stronger.

I hope you recover quickly, and again, BIG BIG BIG CONGRATS!
February 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
WantTY3's Avatar Veteran
Congrats on the baby boy! I am glad that he is doing so well. Keep us posted and when you are able I would love to see pics!

You and your family will be in our T&P!
Take care!
February 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
~*~ CONGRATULATIONS ~*~

Welcome to the world, Sebastian William !

You will both be in my prayers

February 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on the arrival of your little man.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

(1)
February 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow!! That must have been so terrifying for you and your hubby. I'm glad Sebastian is doing well now and I sure hope they can figure out what caused this all to happen. Big hugs. Congratulations on your BOY!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on your baby BOY!! I love the name, btw.

It sounds like the doctors are pretty positive. I hope you both have a very short recovery. I can't wait to see some pictures, he sounds beautiful!

February 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Congratualations and welcome Sebastian! I wish you did not have to go through all that. I can't even imagine how emotional that must be.

I will keep you and Sebastian in my T&P.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
February 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
1974's Avatar Veteran
Wow. Just wow. What a crazy and scary few days for you. It sounds as though Sebastian is a little fighter and is doing better. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.
February 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
How scary!!!! My heart goes out to you and your family. I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated as you can.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 28th, 2008, 04:15 PM
CAS416's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby boy!!! What a surprise.

You had an amazing birth story. I hope that you are taking in easy and trying to recooperate.

I'll keep you, Mike and Sebastian in my prayers!

February 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
4boys
Wow!!! Congratulations! I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that (and still are), it must have been so scary! But I am so glad to hear that Sebastian is doing well and you are recovering. His name is beautiful! Yay, the first boy!!! ((hugs))
February 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
TwoSweetGirls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How wonderful you were so in tune with your body to know something was not right. I am glad Sebastian is here safe and sound. I am sorry you are not feeling well. Get well soon if you can. Thanks so much for keeping us posted. Welcome Sebastian! Great job Mama!
February 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Congratulations on your baby boy! I am so sorry to hear that you had to endure such physical and emotional stress. It isI h good to hear that Sabastian is doing well and is alert. I hope that you are able to get plenty of rest. You and yours are in my t&ps.
Keep us updated when you're able.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!
rate 6/5/2014: 164 rate 6/23/2014: 165 14w5d

February 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Wow, congrats on your little boy.
Thank God you both are healing and getting healthy. It sounds like you had a scary time. Get lots of rest and feel better soon.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
February 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Lozzy_Macca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh you poor thing to go through all of that. I hope you and Sebastian both recover quickly.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
February 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OH WOW! Congrats on your baby BOY! What a surprise! Praying for a short stay for him in the NICU and a fast recovery for you both!!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Baby To Be Due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
CandiceN's Avatar Sam & Alex's mommy!
Wow what a story! Congrats on your baby boy and amazing job Mama!!!!

Hope you both heal up quickly and get to go home together!

My boys are my life.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search