Is Nutrisystem Food As Bad as It Looks?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fitness Articles, Video Reviews, and Blinkies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Can anyone tell me that???

I got encouraged by how much weight Marie Osmond lost, so I went to the website to maybe order it and to be honest, it looks unappealing, and that its reconstituted is a big turn-off, and not exactly cheap even with a free week.

So I read some consumer reviews and they did not make the food sound at all good, in fact people sounded real unhappy.

The other idea is to do a detox and not have to order prepackaged food, I read about a product called NuLean, you replace a few meals and it says you can drop weight fast: nulean-nutrisystem. com, has anyone tried that program?

Please share.
September 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Honestly, as a nutritionist, I recommend staying away from any of those things. There are several reasons for this:

1. Losing weight with food alone isn't long term. You lose muscle mass and retain body fat, while slowing your metabolism which makes it harder to lose later.

2. Any processed food product contains additives. A lot of the additives they put in process foods can cause harm to the body. While they are considered safe in small doses, at every meal they can add up. And I'm not just talking about the chemical additives like dyes that most people think about. Sodium in prepackaged foods is outrageously high and can cause problems with blood pressure and be a catalyst for heart disease.

3. Most of my clients who've tried these plans complained about the taste and portion sizes. They pretty much felt like they were starving. After switching to a real food plan where they could eat what they wanted in moderation and fill in the extra calories with fruits, veggies, etc. they felt full longer and were much more satisfied with the taste.

4. The body requires a large mix of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Unfortunately, the body doesn't always recognize the synthetic versions in prepackaged foods. You absorb more of those essential things from real food.

5. Switching everything you eat is extremely drastic for a diet plan. When you make big changes all at once, your body will rebel and you will have cravings like crazy. It is really hard to stick to a plan like this because of them.

So, my recommendation would be to look at what you are consuming now and see how you can tweek it to be healthier without cutting out the things you love. To Detox (which isn't truly possible on a cellular level like those gimmicks claim, but you can flush some waste out of your system), you can eat a lot of fruits and veggies. You will be in the bathroom a lot, but it will get the waste out and you will lose weight, but not body fat. I would also recommend making sure you are eating 5-6 times a day (speeds the metabolism) and making sure you are getting enough calories. If you go too low in calories you will be basically doing the same as the prepackaged meals where you lose muscle and store fat. The food guide pyramid is a good thing to go by so that you are getting all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals your body needs. Finally, I'd recommend adding an exercise program. Even a light walk daily is better then nothing. You have to exercise to burn stored body fat. It is the only way your body can do what it needs chemically to convert stored fat to fuel.

If there is anything I can do to help you design a program, don't hesitate to ask.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

September 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
..Wendy..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such great information! I always wondered about that (and similar) systems.
October 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, my friend loved the food, and lost a lot (she was working out daily as well), however as soon as she stopped eating the food she gained back about 20 of the 60 she lost. I think her body was in starvation mode b/c she ate soooo much I think she just needed real food! Although she still says she loves the system, but like Tonya said, it's not real healthy.

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

October 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I totally LOLed when i saw this title, i always wondered if it was as nasty as it looked too LOL...
June 14th, 2010, 11:25 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried it a few years ago, and it was gross food.

Tags
diets , nulean , weight loss

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search