Protein Quantity and Quality

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fitness Articles, Video Reviews, and Blinkies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Protein Quantity and Quality at Levels above the RDA Improves Adult Weight Loss -- Layman 23 (Supplement 6): 631S -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
March 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran
I used to do higher than recommended protein believeing it would help make me feel fuller on less calories, but you must make sure your kidneys are fine, because i ended up with a bad kidney infection. For me, I wouldnt touch high protein again.
March 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know that I would say 1.5 grams per kg of body weight is high protein, yes more than the RDA, but not high. For me it comes out to 105 grams of protein a day vs. 56 for the RDA. A high protein diet would be more like 2.6 g of protein per kg.

Even though the kidneys do produce more protein while fighting a kidney infection, I am not sure if excess protein in a healthy individual causes the infection. Kidney infections are caused by bacteria, usually by an untreated UTI or bladder infection. If you have kidney disease, then a high protein diet would not be a great idea, but that is for kidney failure not infection. But, like i said this study talks about an increased protein intake, not a high protein intake.

Also, the .8 RDA is for people with a low activity level. Those that are moderately active should consume 1.1 per kg, and those who participate in vigorous activity should consume 1.4 per kg. So for me being that i am involved in vigorous activity, the 1.5 is close to what I should be eating anyway.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
rrm, did your doctor say the high protein diet caused the kidney infection? If it wasn't somehting your doctor said, I would check with them before writing off protein.
November 12th, 2012, 01:45 AM
carissaluis's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for this, I need to make a lot of reading with regards to weight loss since I what to lose weight again

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search