Exercise Video Reviews

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fitness Articles, Video Reviews, and Blinkies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
I know there are several of us who use videos to get our workouts in, so I'd like us to each post reviews of the videos we do when we workout. This will be a great tool for new board members who are looking for some ideas for some new workouts to be able to determine if they want to try the video you've just done, or pass on it. Be sure when writing your review that you give as much information about the video as possible so that we can find it easier if it is one we decide we want to go buy. Also, make sure you give an idea of the level of the exercise (beginner, intermediate, advanced) so that we can all chose videos that fit our current fitness level. An advanced exerciser will be bored with a beginner video, and a beginning exerciser may injure themselves with an advanced video, so we want to make sure that people who are reading the reviews know what level it is so they can workout with videos safely and effectively.

So, channel your inner movie critic and write some reviews.

Happy Exercising!
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

October 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Video Name: 10 Minute Solution Fitness Ball Workouts
Run Time: 5 sections of 10 minute workouts
Chapters/Workouts: Butt and Thigh Tone Up; Arms & Shoulder Sculptor; Firm Flat Abs; Total Body Fat Burner; Ultra Stretch
Exercise Level: Beginner to Intermediate, but can be advanced if you do more then one section at a time
Opinions: This is a great workout for when you only have a few minutes but want to get something in even though you're short on time. I also like that it is set up so that you can do more then one section to get a longer workout. With being 10 minute sections it is pretty programmable for doing 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 minute workouts depending on your exercise level, so it is a good way to move up to longer workouts. The moves are fairly simple, but challenging after a while. You could make this more advanced by using heavier weights. You can also make it a total cardio workout by skipping the weights and adding in bouncing on the ball with faster reps. They don't tell you this on the video though. Overall a good set of short workouts.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

October 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Video Name: Caribbean Workout Pilates
Run Time: 8 workouts, approximately 20 minutes each, on 2 dvd's. Total time for each dvd is 84 minutes, 168 total minutes for the set
Chapters/Workouts: 8 Pilates based workouts that are basically episodes of the Caribbean Workout television show without the commercials
Exercise Level: Intermediate. Can be more beginner if you skip some of the moves. Can be more advanced if you do more then one episode or know the advanced options to replace some of the moves
Opinions: Good overall Pilates instruction. I don't like the fact that one instructor talks and points things out while the other does the moves. It's not all the time, but it is enough to be annoying to me. I do like that they are broken down into 20 minute sections so that it can be done in less time if needed or multiple sessions can be combined to make longer workouts. Some of the workout descriptions don't seem to match the actual areas of concentration on the workouts, but they are all good total body workouts. Very nice and relaxing, especially with the Caribbean backdrop.

October 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Video Name: Caribbean Workout Aerobics & Kickboxing
Run Time: 8 workouts, approximately 20 minutes each, on 2 dvd's. Total time for each dvd is 84 minutes, 168 total minutes for the set
Chapters/Workouts: 4 kickboxing workouts on one dvd. 2 Hi-Low and 2 Low Impact workouts on the second dved. The workouts are episodes of the Caribbean Workout television show without the commercials
Exercise Level: Intermediate. Can be more beginner if you skip some of the moves. Can be more advanced if you do more then one episode or know the advanced options to replace some of the moves
Opinions: I love Shelley McDonald as an instructor. She has a personality that just clicks with me and she's pretty good on her cueing. These are great cardiovascular workouts, but a little dancy. Those with two left feet (like me) may have to go through them a couple of times to get the moves down, but they aren't so advanced that they can't be done like some dancy workouts. Again, I like that they are only 20 minutes long so you can do one or more depending on how much time you have to workout.

October 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Video Name: The Firm Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn
Run Time: 52 minutes
Chapters/Workouts: Cardio mixed with weight training
Exercise Level: ? I think it's suitable for anyone beginner to advanced. There are modifications for beginners and advanced can add more weight.
Opinions: I have always loved the Firm dvds, but honestly not in love with this workout. I like their older stuff much better. The workout is okay, but even being a beginner I didn't find it that challenging. I also didn't feel it gave me a full body workout. There are a lot of areas particularly the butt thigh area that I just didn't feel got a good workout. The cardio was a little too complicated for me. Too many different steps for an uncoordinated person. It's not a bad workout, but not one of my favorites either.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Video Name: Turbo Jam Cardio Party 1
Run Time: 43 minutes
Chapters/Workouts: kickboxing/dance
Exercise Level: Beginner to Intermediate (variations for lower impact)
Opinions: I really feel that I get a good workout with this, and the scale is showing that too. It works so many different parts of your body, and I like the way it's a nice variety of moves. I really like the timer running along the bottom of the screen. You know exactly how long each section is, so you feel like you can make it that little bit longer. Chalene, the instructor, is pretty peppy too but not too much. Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

October 24th, 2007, 05:22 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Video Name: Leslie Sansone: Walk Away the Pounds: 30 Minute Walk
Run Time: approx. 30 minutes
Exercise Level: beginner
Opinions: This is the first exercise video I've tried after years without exercising. She says this is equivalent to a 2-mile walk. It got my heart rate up and I enjoyed it, but I did not feel it was particularly challenging. I kept up with it very easily, and so did the older kids (12yob and 10yog). Even my 5yo did some of the exercises. No equipment is necessary, which is a bonus, and it doesn't require a lot of space. She only used very basic moves, and gave good warm up and cool down periods. Leslie has a laugh like a lunatic on helium, but other than that she was great! I think this is a great video for somebody looking for an easy way to get some cardio w/o working too hard. I'm going to try some of the other videos in this series.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

October 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Video Name: The Great Weighted Workout by Karen Voight
Run Time: 82 minutes
Exercise Level: intermediate to advance
Opinions: This is an awesome video! Incredible workout and very, very challenging. If you get the DVD you can break it in sections and not do the whole 82 minutes. It is not for beginners though. You can kind of make it for beginners though if you drop the weights and do it without weights. Usually when I start out I will pick a few sections and not try the whole thing. I will do it with weights for as long as I can and then drop to doing it without weights. The weighted movements will get your heartbeat up while it tones your body. You will feel it in your arms, legs, and abs after your done. The arm workout is the best out there and the abs workout is extremely challenging. If you want to get in awesome shape then this is the one for you, but as I said before it really isn't for beginners.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Video Name: Tony Little's Body Express Body Shaping Series
Run Time: 4 dvd's that each run for 50 minutes....the workouts are shorter because the videos include introductions and instructions as well as the workouts
Chapters/Workouts: Total Body Weight Loss, Total Body Body Sculpting, Ab Reduction, Butt & Thigh Reduction
Exercise Level: Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced
Opinions: Tony does each exercise with a timer at the bottom so that beginners can stop at 30-60 seconds, intermediate can stop at 60-90 seconds, and advanced can go for 90-120 seconds on each exercise. The movements are basic and nothing is choreographed, so it might be boring for a more advanced exerciser, but it is a good sound workout. Tony is goofy, almost flirty, though, so some people may be turned off by him. Personally, I love it, but thats a personal preference. I would definitely recommend these workouts to people who are looking for the basics but want something they can progress with as they become more physically fit.

November 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Video Name: Budokon Weight Loss System by Cameron Shane
Run Time: DVD 1 has 80 minutes of content, DVD 2 has 80 minutes of content, Also has an audio CD with 56 minutes of run time
Chapters/Workouts: DVD 1 has a 50 minute Full-Instruction Workout, A Pose Guide, and An interview with Cameron Shane; DVD 2 has a 50 Minute Accelerated Workout and a 30 Minute Maintenance Workout
Exercise Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Opinions: This program is marketed as a weight loss system, but it is really a more advanced workout so I wouldn't recommend it for the very beginning of a weight loss program. The yoga poses are a great way to prepare for the martial arts and I love that he ends things with a guided meditation. It is more like a traditional martial arts class then an aerobics martial arts class, so it would be good for people who are use to taking a karate class of some sort. Overall, a good program, but build up with an easier yoga or martial arts program first.

November 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Video Name: Body & Soul Fitness Dynamite Legs
Run Time: Total video 67 minutes; Exercise Routine is 22 minutes
Chapters/Workouts: Exercise routine and a bonus of several chapters by the author of "No More Cellulite Fast"
Exercise Level: Beginner
Opinions: This is a cheap dvd that I found at the dollar store. Since I'm an exercise video nut, I couldn't resist. I figured that if it was bad I was only out a dollar. It is actually a pretty good workout with resistance exercises done without weight. More advanced exercisers can add weights to make it more difficult. I didn't watch the extras, so I can't comment on those.

November 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Video Name: Kathy Kaehler Total Body Workout and Get Fit Class
Run Time: 120 minutes on 2 dvd's (60 minutes each)
Chapters/Workouts: Total Body Workout is 6--10 minute workouts; Get Fit Class is one long workout
Exercise Level: Intermediate
Opinions: I love the Total Body Workout because of the 10 minute sections. I prefer videos that I can pick and choose from. The Get Fit Class can be done that way too, but it is meant to be one long workout with a 10 minute bonus workout. The only thing I can say I didn't like was that the sculpting arms segment didn't include biceps. Overall, though, when done together, you can get a good total body workout. This is another cheap workout set that I found at Target last January. A very good deal for $2.50!

Video Name: Danskin Now Strength & Toning Workout Program
Run Time: 28 minutes
Chapters/Workouts: Can be broken down by the equipment Danskin sells
Exercise Level: Beginner
Opinions: This is a dvd that came with a portable workout bench I bought a couple of years ago. I decided to check and see what was on it. If you buy a Danskin bench or weights, you may get a copy of this with it. It is really just a demo of several exercises using their equipment. There are no sets or reps recommended, or anything like that. It is a good demo of form though, for people who are unfamiliar with the exercises. I took it as a challenge and tried to do as many reps as I could during the explainations of the exercises and managed between 8 and 12 reps for each to make it a workout.

November 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Video Name: Caribbean Workout Yoga
Run Time: 6 workouts, approximately 20 minutes each, on 2 dvd's. Total time for each dvd is 69 minutes, 138 total minutes for the set
Chapters/Workouts: 6 Yoga based workouts that are basically episodes of the Caribbean Workout television show without the commercials
Opinions: I love Shelly McDonald as an aerobics instructor, but Yoga is not her strong suite. While she performed the moves pretty well, she wasn't flowing properly between the moves. I think she is taking shorter, more shallow breaths then I was taught in my Yoga certification so while she is cueing the movement on her breath, it is too fast for anyone who breathes deeply like you are suppose to in Yoga. The one I did last night was suppose to be Flex Yoga, but it was mostly Sun Salutations, which don't really do anything for me flexibility wise. She does a couple of twists at the end that are actually more flexibility, but not enough to call it Flex Yoga in my opinion. While it is an okay workout, it is definitely not her best work. But it is inexpensive ($5.50 at Wal-Mart for the set of 2 dvd's) and each workout is only 20 minutes so it can be very flexible for those who are time constrained. For those two reasons, I'd recommend it, but not if you are wanting to be a true Yogi.

November 29th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Regular
Hi,
I'm new and wanted to post about a video that my friend gave me as a shower gift. It's called Fitmom and Baby Workout and it's awesome because you workout wearing your baby in a carrier and then do games and songs with your baby while your exercising. My son cried all the time the first six months except when he was in the carrier and so he totally loved the workout and I got into awesome shape. It was also really great bonding time for us.
November 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new and wanted to post about a video that my friend gave me as a shower gift. It's called Fitmom and Baby Workout and it's awesome because you workout wearing your baby in a carrier and then do games and songs with your baby while your exercising. My son cried all the time the first six months except when he was in the carrier and so he totally loved the workout and I got into awesome shape. It was also really great bonding time for us.[/b]
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Welcome to Justmommies!
December 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Video Name: Body & Soul Fitness Fat Burning
Run Time: 40 minutes
Chapters/Workouts: Intro, Warm-up, Workout, Cool-down/Stretch
Exercise Level: Beginner/Intermediate
Opinions: Another dollar store find. Very 80's dance aerobics from Austrailia, one girl is even wearing a thong leotard over spandex pants! The combinations aren't tough until you get to the very end and she combines all of the stuff you had done earlier and I had already totally forgotten the first combination. One exerciser does the low impact version and the others all do high impact. If it is too easy with the low impact, you can increase to high impact, but it is tough on the knees. Overall, a good workout for a great price if a little cheesy and dated.

January 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ladyjill
Video: The Firm- total body time-crunch

This dvd gives you the option to do a 45 Minute workout or a 25 Minute express workout. You can choose to do the video with or without weights. There is a cool down and stretch session after each workout. There is also a section that teaches you how to do each individual exercise that is used in the video.

Opinion: Love it! I feel like I get a great workout with this video.. I broke a sweat and my muscles REALLY felt the workout the next day. She moves pretty quickly through the cardio movements, so if you're not very coordinated it may be hard to catch on to. Over all I think it's a great dvd.
January 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
Video Name: Lotte Berks Hip Hugger Abs
Run Time: less than 30 minutes
Chapters/Workouts: 1.Warm up. 2. Target Area: abs. 3. Stretching
Exercise Level: Beginner/ Intermediate/Advance
Opinions- I enjoyed their warm up and it was pretty intense. The abdominal exercises they performed were different exercises i wasn't use to but they could of included more of them. They probably spent less than 15 minutes on the actually target exercises. That is not to say that the exercises didn't give me a good workout. At times i had to stop to get a break because abdominal exercises were intense. The stretching felt good after a good hard workout ! I think this DVD is good but to feel like i really pushed myself i needed too do more exercises after the video was done !
Rating 1-5 stars ( 1 being the lowest and 5 being the higest) 4 stars

Me - Daynuh

February 3rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Gwen's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Gwen Send a message via MSN to Gwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gwen
I have three:
Video Name: CRUNCH CARDIO GO-GO DANCE
Run Time: 44
Chapters/Workouts:NO CHAPTERS JUST CONTINUOUS GO-GO DANCING
Exercise Level: SAYS ALL LEVELS/ABILITIES,HOWEVER I FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO KEEP UP WITH SOME MOVES AND IT WAS TOO CHALLENGING FOR MY LEFT ARM
Opinions- IT IS OKAY...DEFINATELY NOT FOR THOSE WHO ARE UNRHYTHMIC OR CANNOT CATCH ON TO DANCE MOVES. i WILL ONLY USE THIS ONE ON THE RARE OCCASSION FOR A CHANGE.
Rating 1-5 stars ( 1 being the lowest and 5 being the higest) 2 FOR ME- THE INSTRUCTOR WAS ANNOYING FOR ME, SHE RESEMBLES LINDSEY LOHAN AND THAT JUST IRKED ME FOR SOME REASON.

Video Name: CRUNCH BELLY BUTT AND THIGHS BOOT CAMP
Run Time: 41 MINUTES
Chapters/Workouts: JUST A CONTINUOUS WORKOUT
Exercise Level: ALSO SAYS FOR ALL LEVELS
Opinions- THIS ONE REALLY REALLY KICKS YOUR BUTT! IT'S DEFINATELY A LEG BLASTER IT IS HOWEVER HARD ON THE KNEES OR WAS FOR ME. BUT GOOD
Rating 1-5 stars ( 1 being the lowest and 5 being the higest) 4 EXCRUCIATING WORKOUT THAT YOU REALLY FEEL, MILDLY ANNOYING INSTRUCTOR

Video Name: LESLIE SANSONE WALK AT HOME- 3 MILE WEIGHT LOSS WALK
Run Time: 48 MINUTES
Chapters/Workouts: MILE 1-15 MINUTE NON STOP MUSCLE MOVING STEPS TO GET YOU STARTED/MILE 2-12 MINUTES OF SPEED WALKING/MILE 3-15 MINUTES TO CONTINUE BLASTING CALORIES AND BURN FAT
Exercise Level: BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED
Opinions- VERY NICE WORKOUT- NOT TOO HARD AT ALL AND YOU DOOOOO FEEL IT AND GET YOUR HEART RATE UP AND USING THE WEIGHTS ADDS TO THE INTENSITY, THIS WILL BE MY MAIN DVD NOW.
Rating 1-5 stars ( 1 being the lowest and 5 being the higest) 5

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Gwen
Mom to Emily, Chris and Selena
March 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Video Name: George Foreman Walk It Off with George: Walk and Box
Run Time: approx. 46 minutes
Exercise Level beg. to inter.
Opinions: I really enjoy this video for some reason. The moves are pretty simple, but the "boxing" (jabs, hooks, etc) is fun. Simple exercise routines with an occasional "boxing burst" (one minute of higher-intensity cardio) thrown in. I have the feeling that I look ridiculous doing this, but it makes me feel strong and I like that. I did this workout for the second time yesterday; today I am feeling it in my abs, triceps, and glutes. If you like the "Walk Away the Pounds" exercises but want to add some punching... you'll probably like this. George Foreman is featured but the routines are taught by Petra Kolber.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search