Questions about IVF

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
JustBreathe
Hi everyone, I'm just popping over because it's highly likely that we will have to Concieve with IVF. I've read the medical things, and it terrifies me. How did you come about discovering you needed IVF, how have your personal experiences been, and how costly is it really?

I appreciate your feedback.
May 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Michelle,
Welcome! I found out that I would need IVF b/c me and DH had tried for a few years with no results. I did get pregnant once on my own, but it ended at 7wks with a miscarriage. My regualar OB recommended me to a fertility doctor. After months of tests, it was determined taht I have elevated FSH levels, basically poor quality and quantity of eggs. I would likely never concieve without assistance. So, we did 2 IUI's first and those were negative. Then it was time to move on to IVF. I am going to find out Friday if it worked or not. Cost for me was around 15 thousand dollars and insurance does not pay. You will find that most insurance companies do not pay for these kinds of treatments. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
May 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
crystalb3217's Avatar Member
Quote:
Michelle,
Welcome! I found out that I would need IVF b/c me and DH had tried for a few years with no results. I did get pregnant once on my own, but it ended at 7wks with a miscarriage. My regualar OB recommended me to a fertility doctor. After months of tests, it was determined taht I have elevated FSH levels, basically poor quality and quantity of eggs. I would likely never concieve without assistance. So, we did 2 IUI's first and those were negative. Then it was time to move on to IVF. I am going to find out Friday if it worked or not. Cost for me was around 15 thousand dollars and insurance does not pay. You will find that most insurance companies do not pay for these kinds of treatments. Good luck whatever you decide.[/b]
HopeToBeAMom,
I am new to the board and wanted to join in. I too just had my first IVF. My retrieval was 4/25/08 and my transfer was 4/30/08. We transferred 2 blasts. My Beta is Friday 5/9/08. I too had gone through previous IUI's (3 to be exact) all which were unsuccessful. So we took a much needed break and ended up conceiving naturally in 2006 but sadly we too miscarried at 7 weeks. Anyhow. I was just checking to see how you were doing during your 2ww! I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best!

Crystal
Age 25 (husband 27)
Married 6 years 6/8/08!
TTC for 4 1/2 years
3 Failed IUI's 9/05-2/06
1 Natural Pregnancy m/c @ 7 weeks 9/06
1st IVF 4/08 BFN
May 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Michelle,
Welcome! I found out that I would need IVF b/c me and DH had tried for a few years with no results. I did get pregnant once on my own, but it ended at 7wks with a miscarriage. My regualar OB recommended me to a fertility doctor. After months of tests, it was determined taht I have elevated FSH levels, basically poor quality and quantity of eggs. I would likely never concieve without assistance. So, we did 2 IUI's first and those were negative. Then it was time to move on to IVF. I am going to find out Friday if it worked or not. Cost for me was around 15 thousand dollars and insurance does not pay. You will find that most insurance companies do not pay for these kinds of treatments. Good luck whatever you decide.[/b]
HopeToBeAMom,
I am new to the board and wanted to join in. I too just had my first IVF. My retrieval was 4/25/08 and my transfer was 4/30/08. We transferred 2 blasts. My Beta is Friday 5/9/08. I too had gone through previous IUI's (3 to be exact) all which were unsuccessful. So we took a much needed break and ended up conceiving naturally in 2006 but sadly we too miscarried at 7 weeks. Anyhow. I was just checking to see how you were doing during your 2ww! I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best!

Crystal
Age 25 (husband 27)
Married 6 years 6/8/08!
TTC for 4 1/2 years
[/b]

Crystal,
Great to have you here. We'd love for you to start posting!! If you have questions or need support, I'd recommend posting down below in the forum and you'll get lots of feedback. I am still holding out, haven't tested with a home preg test yet b/c I figured it would just bum me out if it was negative. I'd rather hold out hope for a few more days. What are you feeling?? Any symptoms? I was a bit discouraged b/c my pregnancy that m/c I had tons of symptoms early and this time there are not many other than cramping and I have been peeing a lot more the past few days, but it may be from the progesterone shots. How are your shots coming, or are you even doing any? Good luck on Friday and let me know how it turns out. If you read the forums below in the general posting area, you will see there are at least 5 of us going through IVF right now so hopefully we will all be joining the Due Date Club together. That would be fun!! I have tried for 3 long years and I definitely feel like it is my turn!

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
May 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
crystalb3217's Avatar Member
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Michelle,
HopeToBeAMom,

Crystal
Age 25 (husband 27)
Married 6 years 6/8/08!
TTC for 4 1/2 years
[/b]

Crystal,
Great to have you here. We'd love for you to start posting!! If you have questions or need support, I'd recommend posting down below in the forum and you'll get lots of feedback. I am still holding out, haven't tested with a home preg test yet b/c I figured it would just bum me out if it was negative. I'd rather hold out hope for a few more days. What are you feeling?? Any symptoms? I was a bit discouraged b/c my pregnancy that m/c I had tons of symptoms early and this time there are not many other than cramping and I have been peeing a lot more the past few days, but it may be from the progesterone shots. How are your shots coming, or are you even doing any? Good luck on Friday and let me know how it turns out. If you read the forums below in the general posting area, you will see there are at least 5 of us going through IVF right now so hopefully we will all be joining the Due Date Club together. That would be fun!! I have tried for 3 long years and I definitely feel like it is my turn!
[/b]
I am the same. Before when I was pregnant I had more symptoms but they were a good 2 weeks after my cycle was already late when I started noticing them. So hopefully we are both the lucky ones who don't get all the tell tell signs until later on. I have only had the cramping as well and peeing. But I too can chalk the peeing up to just always drinking lots of water! The progesterone shots aren't too bad most of the time. Seems like every other one hurts and then the others aren't so bad. I am bruised and sore that's for sure. When I had my levels checked last Friday they were 37 which apparently is really good. So I was happy with that. So the details of our cycle were we had 24 eggs at retrieval, 17 were mature and 11 fertilized. We transferred 2 grade B blasts on day 5 and we have 2 more frozen embies that made it to a day 6. It is just really frustrating when you really get down too it that out of 17 mature eggs only 4 are really good ones in the eyes of the embryologists! But I guess it only takes 1!! Well good luck and I will let you know our results on Friday as well.

Crystal
3 Failed IUI's 9/05-2/06
1 Natural Pregnancy m/c @ 7 weeks 9/06
1st IVF 4/08 BFN
May 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We came about ttc by IVF because of all our medical test results.

DH had been not trying/not preventing since 2001 .. when I did not get pregnant in this time we TTC by timing everything our self.. when nothing happen for a year my obgyn ran test(HSG, blood work, & S/A) My HSG showed a blocked tube, blood work showed I was not o'ing and dh's S/A showed he had not only 4% normal forms. My obgyn did a lap and clipped off the blocked tube.. we made an appt with a RE at this point and everything has moved sooo quickly. IVF was our best option because of all our problems combined.
For us, our clinic has GREAT prices on meds!
We spend about $2200 on meds, $3500 for the IVF, $1000 for ISCI, and $700 for the freezing.
for the IVF & ISCI we did get 30% based on our income.
Good luck!!

May 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
SummerRose's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies!

My DH and I have been TTC#1 since November 2004. We have done Clomid/IUI's (forst one worked, but we lost baby @ 6 weeks) and 2 Gonal F/IUI's and nada. All my tests have come back perfect "how I hate that word) and my DH's results are well above normal. Our RE flat out told he has no idea why we haven't gotten pregnant yet. He recommended IVF, and after alot of soul searching we decided to go for it.
We will be cycling in June, I have been on BCP since May 8th.

Good Luck!!
TTC #1 Since Fall of 2004
"Unexplained Fertilty"
6 Cycles of Clomid, 3-IUI/Clomid, 2-IUI/Gonal F
M/C October 2006
IVF #1 ~ 21 Eggs, 13 mature, all 13 fertilized, 2 put back, 4 frozen = BFN
FET ~ October 2008
August 14 ~ Started BCP
September 6 ~ Start Lupron 10 Units
September 19 ~ Baseline U/S & B/W
September 20 ~ Start Estrace, Lower Lupron to 5 Units
October 2 ~ US to check lining
October 6 ~ Start Prometrium
October 10 ~ FET
* Praying for a Healthy Baby (or two!!) *

July 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi ladies,

I hope that you don't mind me jumping in here. DH & I am been trying to conceive for 2yrs now I got pregnant both time and Dec 7th 2007 I m/c at 7 weeks and the 7/1/08 I m/c at 3 weeks. My doctor told me that I can keep trying myself or have IVF with PGS done. Has anyone tried this yet?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search